Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yep, those singular specks are CM bead blasted aftermath. Hard to prevent with that procedure. Each speck is a magnet for moisture.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
HR IC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I do like that black look on the Kimbers.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like the black look as well, and the stocks that have been painted something other than what they come with does good things for them as well.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
After-after grin :

[Linked Image]

Nice. It's amazing what a paint job will do.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just don't like ULA's, NULA's or CLR's so assuming those are it's heritage, the Kimber is a no brainer for me.

I can always make it shoot if that's an issue & recognizing that possibility.

MM

IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Will someone explain to me why so many talk of wanting a rifle finish thats impervious to rust, and ultra resistant to scratches, etc. yet Hard Chrome is seldom mentioned as an option! I've got a Brown Precision .284Winchester Mountain rifle built back in 1978 on a Remington model 600 action thats hard chromed and looks near identical to when it was delivered to me way back then!The little rifle weighs in at less than 6 pounds with scope, and features a kevlar stock. ...Why not more hard chrome?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by olhippie
Will someone explain to me why so many talk of wanting a rifle finish thats impervious to rust, and ultra resistant to scratches, etc. yet Hard Chrome is seldom mentioned as an option! I've got a Brown Precision .284Winchester Mountain rifle built back in 1978 on a Remington model 600 action thats hard chromed and looks near identical to when it was delivered to me way back then!The little rifle weighs in at less than 6 pounds with scope, and features a kevlar stock. ...Why not more hard chrome?

Good timing - have the same question. Color-wise, to each his own, but if wanted matte stainless look, is there a drawback with hard chrome instead of cerakoting? Kicking that idea around regarding a montana in the future.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Forbes rifles will be offered in ss, that includes action and barrels! I believe he might be going with a different barrel manafacturer, or so he he hinted to me! Im going to talk to Melvin this coming week and i will get the updated news on his forbes rifles.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Where did you find out this info on the stainless?

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Hard Chrome is MUCH harder than any steel and thus very resistant to scratching, it is totaly impervious to rust, and needs no lubrication between hard chrome surfaces ( it has the lowest co-efficent of friction surface to surface of any metal known),It can be applied to the barrel interior and reduces friction while increasing barrel life (hence it is often used in this manner on military rifles, particularly those using corrosive primed ammo). In my opinion it is by far the most superior finish for firearms. I had a East German Stasi Makarov hard chromed 20 years ago as a gift for my eldest son. He's carried that gun for all the years since, deep carry concealed, and today it looks like it did 20 years ago!The only objection I've heard is that it would be to shiny! Not so necessarily. The Makaov is quite shiny because it was applied on a polished blue surface, but my Brown High Country was bead blasted with a very fine blasting medium to produce a matt surface before plating with hard chrome, and has a pearl gray coloration of the same hue as the mold that grows on the bark of oak trees. It is a non glare surface!

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Kimber for me, a 84L in 30-06 would be sweet. However I'm a sucker for CRF and three position safeties.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
hippie is right on the hard chrome I had a rifle done by Mag. Arms Can - also did magnaport, which after ten years of hard use was as delivered, I get the impression it is more work to apply then the current platters want to do?

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
hippie may be dead by now. Thread started in 2011. wink

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
MT all the way...

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by cwh2
IME, they are certainly more prone to rust than any other stainless rifle I've used, save an A-bolt.

They don't call um Brownings for nothin.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I thought Dober was back for a second there.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Standing in front of my gunsafe I can look out and see salt water. The two Kimbers I own, including one Montana 84M stainless, show no signs of rust, nor does any other firearm I own. Several have lived aboard my salt water moored sailboat for a couple decades now - still no rust. You just have to take care of them.

I do know folks who, through neglect, have managed to destroy firearms in this environment but corrosion is not inevitable or even particularly hard to keep at bay.

Under severe salt water conditions, say a coastal hunt in SE AK where your firearm is in and out of skiffs and continually soaked in salt for weeks on end, you will have to work extra hard to stay on top of things but still, this is do-able.

Methinks the whole need for stainless thing is overblown.

Last edited by OregonCoot; 02/13/14.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I live and hunt in said environment. Spent way more time maintaining blued rifles than I have had to with stainless.

Sure is nice knowing I don't have to drop everything to take care of my rifle at the end of the day with stainless.

Things got even better with Corrosion-X.

Yup.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My Kimber has a few rust speckles here and there, but nothing I lose sleep about. It get get splahed and dunked regularly when packrafting and what not and spends plenty of time next to the ocean as well. Stainless? No, more like very stain resistant wink

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by OregonCoot
Standing in front of my gunsafe I can look out and see salt water. The two Kimbers I own, including one Montana 84M stainless, show no signs of rust, nor does any other firearm I own. Several have lived aboard my salt water moored sailboat for a couple decades now - still no rust. You just have to take care of them.

I do know folks who, through neglect, have managed to destroy firearms in this environment but corrosion is not inevitable or even particularly hard to keep at bay.

Under severe salt water conditions, say a coastal hunt in SE AK where your firearm is in and out of skiffs and continually soaked in salt for weeks on end, you will have to work extra hard to stay on top of things but still, this is do-able.

Methinks the whole need for stainless thing is overblown.

I've never been any of them places,let alone the Coast...but your read was a fascinating insight into Dim Witted Dumbfhukkery.

Might you care to share your favorite scope,mount and ammo choices,for "all" the things that set upon shelves for such long times? Those findings are gonna be plum fascinating. A picture of you holding one of them Pristine Beauties would be [bleep] hilarious too and I'm looking forward to those excuses.

Laffin'!

You Do Nothing Dumb [bleep] are a riot.

Just WOW +P.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

353 members (1eyedmule, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 160user, 1badf350, 34 invisible), 1,894 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,633
Posts18,493,117
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.