Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Can the flexible Otis cleaning thingies be used to dislodge mud and stuff that may get jammed into a barrel? I've never looked at one so I don't know what they are made of, and I'm wondering if they would be good to carry because of their compactness and ability to rid a bore of accidental junk. Or are they too flexible to push through stuff?

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
HR IC

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Too flexible, best to caary one of those cheap screw in rods in your kit.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
They can be used to dislodge stuck items. I used mine to pop a stuck case out of the chamber in the field once. Not as sturdy as a rod, but for light work such as mud and loose debris it should be fine.

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Bulletbutt
Can the flexible Otis cleaning thingies be used to dislodge mud and stuff that may get jammed into a barrel? I've never looked at one so I don't know what they are made of, and I'm wondering if they would be good to carry because of their compactness and ability to rid a bore of accidental junk. Or are they too flexible to push through stuff?

Yes, I have used it in that manner, as a matter of fact, it was told to me that was the inspiration for it's invention.
The story went that the inventor was on a hunting trip with his daughter and one morning she got snow in her barrel. Since the dad had gone another way, she returned to camp, got a piece of cable that was used for the tent, pushed the snow out, and proceeded to kill a nice buck.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Thanks guys. I read up on them a little more after I posted here and it said they are a flexible aluminum vinyl coated cable, so they should work fine. Their site shows a video of it working and it's better than I had expected. I'm going to order a kit for an AR that www.opticsplanet.com has on sale for $30 --- regular $45 or $50. Spendy little guys!

jorgeI; You might be thinking of those pull-string ones. (?)

Last edited by Bulletbutt; 05/09/12.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I had a PP bullet stuck in the chamber of my Sharps and I tried to dislodge it with the Otis. Wouldn't even budge it. Only took a slight tap with a rod and it popped out

Last edited by jorgeI; 05/09/12.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It will clean debris but it is no substitute for a ram rod with stuff that is really stuck in the barrel.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
I see. Said the blind man... blush

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
I've had one of the screw-together rods that jorgeI is talking about for several years and it looks like that's what I'm going to keep carrying for at least a while. Optics Planet says they can't ship the Otis AR Kit for 3 or 4 weeks.

I just don't like the roughness of the steel jointed one I have going up and down the bore when cleaning so I thought the flexible vinyl coated Otis would be better for more frequent use.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (10ring1, 1badf350, 12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 16penny, 57 invisible), 2,415 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,984
Posts18,499,786
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.