Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Esox357 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Whats your favorite carp bait? I often use plain old sweet corn. I have added attractants like anise oil and jello before but seems like plain old sweet corn has produced the best results. Whats yours?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ive never fished for them on purpose but quite frankly the biggest ones i caught on accident were on my standard river walleye rig which a weight on a 12 inch drop line about 18-24 inches ahead of a hook with a minnow on it.....caught a carp out of the Missouri river up here that was over 30 pounds and a number over 20....

Last edited by rattler; 05/08/12.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Online Shocked
Campfire Ranger
"wheatie balls"....use to fish them all the time in Washinton..DC..bet it still works 30 years latter...

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
yep weatie balls with a slash of vanilla

I don't feed em I eat em
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Explain "wheatie balls" please?

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

John Wayne
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Take a box of WHEATIES or FROSTED FLAKES AND a big red soda and mix in a bowl until you get a sticky dough material. You should not be able to see any flakes just a sticky brown dough mixture.Just keep masing wyour hands and work it like you would biscuit dough.Once it's firm wrap it in cheese cloth or a pice of bath towel and put in frig till your ready to go. If it dries out a little just add a small amount of water and rework ball.Make enough to pinch off some small balls and bait your area upon arriving at your fishin hole. powdr

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
ditto on corn flakes & big red.--crankr72

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by powdr
Take a box of WHEATIES or FROSTED FLAKES AND a big red soda and mix in a bowl until you get a sticky dough material. You should not be able to see any flakes just a sticky brown dough mixture.Just keep masing wyour hands and work it like you would biscuit dough.Once it's firm wrap it in cheese cloth or a pice of bath towel and put in frig till your ready to go. If it dries out a little just add a small amount of water and rework ball.Make enough to pinch off some small balls and bait your area upon arriving at your fishin hole. powdr

It's been 30-some years since I've been carp fishing, but we used to use something similar.

We'd take white bread and peanut butter, and knead it into one big mass (till you couldn't tell one from the other).

Then, to help it stay on the hook, we'd pull a bunch of cotton balls apart, and work that in to the mixture.

Mold it on the hook, add some weight, and toss it out there.

Lots of work and prep for a stupid old carp that wasn't worth eating. sick

I came to love bowfishing for them, but quit rod and reel fishing for them a long time ago...

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
We always just used our bows.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

Us too...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Old Fishermen never die, we just get reel tired.

May you build a ladder to the stars
and climb on every rung.
May you stay......Forever young
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
WOW you take your carp shooting way to serious! Very nice.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by ColdBore
I came to love bowfishing for them, but quit rod and reel fishing for them a long time ago...

Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

Agreed that bowfishing is MUCH funner than rod and reel fishing for them, but I never used bait when bowfishing. wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Frozen peas. whistle

(Throw them out, they float, and play carp ball when they come up to take a pea. Somebody had to say it.)

Haven't fished for carp since Dad took a cousin and me out for fun when I was 5 or 6. I think we used bread but that was decades ago. Did have a monster steal a favorite Rapalla a few years ago, trolling for walleye. Durn thing went under the boat and sawed off the line before I could do anything about it. Fireline too.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 66 invisible), 2,383 guests, and 1,157 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,317
Posts18,487,330
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.