Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Got my SCI rag in the mail yesterday. Noticed an article about eland hunting, and since an eland is on my list for next June I read the article first. Finally got to the end where the petite lady smacks a giant eland at 196 yards with a 260 Rem. Perfect shot no less. The pics look this eland to be 1200 lbs plus.

I've been to Africa and have seen Eland and they are big, especially a mature bull. I'm going back next June and have eland on my list, right after waterbuck. I'm planning on using 9.3x62 or 300 H&H as my heavy rifle and 7mm08 for the light PG stuff.

Just wondering if that 260 use on eland was a smart choice?

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not my idea..I've been within 30 yards of several and my .338 felt ..well, small..
Good shot for the lady tho...

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
No one with any brains will argue shot placement is not key but, I would seek to do as much damage as possible to an animal of that size and his major organs. I would prefer a 36 or 37 caliber rifle over a 25 or 26 or 27 caliber rifle. I suspect I would also try to break him down if given the opportunity by breaking the shoulder complex.

Personally, unless I could not shoot a larger rifle I would not go that route. And if I could not shoot a larger rifle then I would likely pass on the species altogether.

The way life should be.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
the 260 aint much different than the 6.5x55 and 6.5x54MS which killed a hell of alot of large game.....that said my understanding from what ive read is eland can put alot of distance between you and them without alot of effort with their lope and generally your on a limited time frame on your hunts anymore....as much as im a 6.5 slut i think i would prefer something a tad bigger cause i really wouldnt want to spend any more than i had to chasing hit game....course as the gal showed if you can put the bullet in the righ place it shouldnt be a problem......but i still think i would prefer something a lil bigger....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
They shoot moose in Sweden with 6.5x55's all the time so why not. Sorta the same size.

IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I've shot three Eland. Two with a .338 Win Mag. and one with a 375 H&H. They're big animals who can absorb alot of lead. Personally, I wouldn't use anything smaller than a .338 or one of the 30 caliber magnums with a premium bullet.

Last edited by Labman95; 05/10/12.
RAC Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have no doubt I could kill a cape buffalo with a 30'06. Doesn't mean it is the best caliber to use on one.

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Labman95
I've shot three Eland. Two with a .338 Win Mag. and one with a 375 H&H. They're big animals who can absorb alot of lead. Personally, I wouldn't use anything smaller than a .338 or one of the 30 caliber magnums with a premium bullet.

YEP!

Wieght on a big bull eland is way over the 1,200 lbs you estimated. Double that and you will be closer. Think of a Clydsdale with horns and you will be getting a better idea. they are freaking HUGE and can take a lot of killin.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here is one of mine, my biggest and best, for comparison and sizing. I am 6'4" and 255lbs for reference.

[Linked Image]

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mark.

I'm sure you got some mighty tasty steaks out of the filets on that one. Ummmm good!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mark that's a monster congratulations.

To attempt a shot at an eland at that distance with that caliber is irresponsible. In this case it obviously worked but would you have read about it if they were still trying to locate the eland?

Try and purposefully hit between two ribs of any animal at that distance and see if it works.

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter

Eland are huge. I've only shot one, but I surely was careful with my .30-'06. The weight on mine was 1,069Kg ... 2,352 pounds.

By the way, both of my Professional Hunters on that particular trip had been charged and badly hurt by eland during previous safaris. Neither had ever been bothered by Cape buffalo. Intersting.

Blessings,

Steve

[Linked Image]

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
If there were eland in Alaska, there would be guys recommending a .223 AI.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by AlabamaEd
Got my SCI rag in the mail yesterday. Noticed an article about eland hunting, and since an eland is on my list for next June I read the article first. Finally got to the end where the petite lady smacks a giant eland at 196 yards with a 260 Rem. Perfect shot no less. The pics look this eland to be 1200 lbs plus.

I've been to Africa and have seen Eland and they are big, especially a mature bull. I'm going back next June and have eland on my list, right after waterbuck. I'm planning on using 9.3x62 or 300 H&H as my heavy rifle and 7mm08 for the light PG stuff.

Just wondering if that 260 use on eland was a smart choice?
.......................I like reading about the exploits (advance teams so to speak) of others such as using a 260 Rem on large eland.

Good to know the 260 worked so well. Then when I go to Africa someday for the first time, I know and can be well assured that when doing my part, either of my three cartridges below will certainly work extremely well.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
To me that's just crazy and frankly irresponsible. Can it be done? of course. I'm just a neophyte but to me the smallest caliber I'd feel comfortable with is a 300 and with a Premium bullet.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by Labman95

I agree. I've shot two, both with a .375 H&H and I wouldn't recommend going with any less than a .338. If everything is perfect, I am sure a smaller caliber would work just fine, but I had to take a severe quartering away shot on my second eland. When he was skinned we were able to determine that the 300gr tsx had penetrated about five feet to reach the vitals. I was confident in the shot with the 375, but would not have taken it with anything less than a .338 and would have missed out on a 40+ inch eland of a lifetime.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
PeterKriel and Jorge be careful with the irresponsible talk! You're bordering on ethics and we all damned well know America is now a nation of moral relativists. So, if it's good enough for a little girl to pop a big beastie like that with a deer rifle then the rest of us should butt out because it's all about her and what makes her clock tick...

What did PHC say in one of his stories, "It's simply not done, Old Boy. At least not by Gentlemen and sportsmen." Sadly a time now gone by.

The way life should be.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by doubletap
If there were eland in Alaska, there would be guys recommending a .223 AI.

what i would do when i have a whole hunting season and what i would do when i only have 7 days to get everything done in are two different things.....the 6.5x54 was one of the preferred rounds of turn of the century big game hunters on anything short of the big 5.....by serious hunters....

i have no doubt that a 260 will work on eland, if eland lived in Montana and i got to hunt them regularly with a 6 week season a 260 with premiums wouldnt phase me.....but when ive got 7-10 days and alot of other critters i would also like to shoot DRT beats tracking so something like a 338 Win or 9.3x62 and holding on bone has alot of appeal....a half day traking an animal thats dead on its feet is likely more time than i want to spend....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This discussion is headed towards the circle-jerk abyss. You can also kill eland with a muzzle loader or even a 22. You can also use a spear. There's a reason as to why there are many calibers to choose from; depending of course on common sense and the size of the animal. And please spare me the "Pondoro" Taylor exegesis about the 7X57 & 256 Manlicher on elephant. For me a 375 H&H, but I'm just a neophyte...
[Linked Image]

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
And I thought a bull moose was a big animal... sheesh.

The way life should be.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

654 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 63 invisible), 2,903 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,830
Posts18,516,993
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.