Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
I needed that. LMAO!

Did I ever tell you about the time I ran over a crocodile down in the Keys? Yep, a 6 footer fell prey to my Honda Civic about Oh-Dark-Thirty on the way to work. Dang if that didn't make a lot of racket!

The press was aghast that a listed species had been ruthlessly slaughtered. I was aghast at the repair bill...fuggin' lizards.
wink grin

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
First off. I came to this thread defending BP. Not subs. The topic was shooting BP in a 30-30 lever gun. Something i've done a lot of. It was Swamp who was against it.

I don't want to read the whole thread again, but I don't think I brought up subs.

I also never said i had more experience than anybody in BPCR. I said i've probably shot more BP. You guys aren't the only ones who use it. Years of shooting CAS, and BP ML shoots, plus hunting burns some powder. I've been retired since 99, and have everyday to shoot. Being single, I don't need to answer to anybody, so I put all my time in my hobbies.

I'm well aware of the discipline it takes to be competitive in shooting competitions. I made a living in the 70's trap shooting.

I didn't start this damn thread, and I didn't keep it going either. Just because I set some things straight about subs, doesn't mean I promote it. Anybody that knows me in real life knows i'd rather shoot BP than anything else.

However, if you jump on me and insult me. I'm going to respond on the same level.

I'm not going to put you all in the same group, but you've got some real jerks on this forum who wouldn't last 30 seconds on a forum with mods.

OK, I haven't read all of your, and lame DD's post.

The two of you go get a room,.....

Do the 'Real jerks' on one another.

This AIN'T a "Forum with mods" you two bit poser, and lame azzed WHINY corksocker.

Whatever kid.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I needed that. LMAO!

Did I ever tell you about the time I ran over a crocodile down in the Keys? Yep, a 6 footer fell prey to my Honda Civic about Oh-Dark-Thirty on the way to work. Dang if that didn't make a lot of racket!

The press was aghast that a listed species had been ruthlessly slaughtered. I was aghast at the repair bill...fuggin' lizards.

A HONDA CIVIC!!!!!! shocked HOLY CHIT!!!!! shocked That would like hitting an elk!!!!eek

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
First off. I came to this thread defending BP. Not subs. The topic was shooting BP in a 30-30 lever gun. Something i've done a lot of. It was Swamp who was against it.

I don't want to read the whole thread again, but I don't think I brought up subs.

I also never said i had more experience than anybody in BPCR. I said i've probably shot more BP. You guys aren't the only ones who use it. Years of shooting CAS, and BP ML shoots, plus hunting burns some powder. I've been retired since 99, and have everyday to shoot. Being single, I don't need to answer to anybody, so I put all my time in my hobbies.

I'm well aware of the discipline it takes to be competitive in shooting competitions. I made a living in the 70's trap shooting.

I didn't start this damn thread, and I didn't keep it going either. Just because I set some things straight about subs, doesn't mean I promote it. Anybody that knows me in real life knows i'd rather shoot BP than anything else.

However, if you jump on me and insult me. I'm going to respond on the same level.

I'm not going to put you all in the same group, but you've got some real jerks on this forum who wouldn't last 30 seconds on a forum with mods.

This AIN'T a "Forum with mods" you two bit poser, and lame azzed WHINY corksocker.

Whatever kid.

Now you know why I have him on ignore. I never want to get that grumpy as an old man. What a jerk.

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
APDDSN0864,

The rifling of .32 Specials is also 1-16", much slower than the .30-30's 1-12, which also helps when shooting black powder.

One of the reasons for making the .32 more BP friendly than the .30-30 is that a lot of people didn't want to fool with smokeless reloading in its early years, since some shooters blew up rifles due to not understanding the difference between BP and smokeless. Also, black powder was a LOT cheaper than smokeless for many years, unlike today.

Several years ago I loaded black powder in a Winchester Model 94 .32 Special made in 1952. I tried it both with 170-grain jacketed bullets and a cast SAECO 170 designed for the .32-40. The load was a full case of Goex FFF, and it shot pretty well, though to a very different point of impact than smokeless loads, due to a muzzle velocity of about 1400 fps. The first .32 Special 94's often had flip-up sights (either rear or front) to compensate for the difference in POI.

Thank you, John!

The source I found with the most info on loading the .32 Special with BP on is the Feb 2007 edition of Handloader (#247) where Gil Sengal referenced an original Winchester catalog.
That catalog spoke to the .32 Special being more forgiving with BP and the article mentioned that Winchester offered load data and tools for loading the .32 Special with BP as most handloaders did not understand the difference between volume measuring and weight measuring and would attempt to volume load the new, relatively unknown, smokeless powders the same as with BP and subsequently damage the firearms and/or cause injury.

As to your experiment with the .32 Special and BP, was the report of the shot more of a "boom" than a "crack"?
Did using BP instead of smokeless change the amount (if any) of bullet fouling? Curiosity raises it's head once again. grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Along the same lines ED, I see on different BP forums that people are weighting each load on a scale esecially if they have an electronic scale, yet the BP manuals say by volume only. What gives with that?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When you find a scale that reads out in volumes let me know I'ld like to purchase one.
Even back in 1878 the Sharps catalog stressed the importance of weighing charges and gave conversion tables to convert appothycaries to grains.
The great fake shxt pyrodex confused the dogcrap out of folks, as it was intended to be used on a volume for weight of grains of black powder. IE if you set a powder measure to weigh 70 grs of 2f blackpowder to make the switch to pyrodex you simply used the same measure setting. In the early days of pyrodex Hogdons did include charts to show what grains weight of blackpowder would weigh in pyrodex.
Pre lawyer days at the Lyman/Ideal corporation they made great effort to be sure and tell the owner of the Lyman 55 powder measure that the graduations on the slides was regulated for grains weight of blackpowder...
So in the interm there became alsort of gunwriter experts that didn't know their ass from a hole in the ground but got paid for writing articles plumb full of flat ass wrong info such as measuring bp by volume.....And everybody knows gunwriters are never wrong....

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Ranch13
When you find a scale that reads out in volumes let me know I'ld like to purchase one.
Even back in 1878 the Sharps catalog stressed the importance of weighing charges and gave conversion tables to convert appothycaries to grains.
The great fake shxt pyrodex confused the dogcrap out of folks, as it was intended to be used on a volume for weight of grains of black powder. IE if you set a powder measure to weigh 70 grs of 2f blackpowder to make the switch to pyrodex you simply used the same measure setting. In the early days of pyrodex Hogdons did include charts to show what grains weight of blackpowder would weigh in pyrodex.
Pre lawyer days at the Lyman/Ideal corporation they made great effort to be sure and tell the owner of the Lyman 55 powder measure that the graduations on the slides was regulated for grains weight of blackpowder...
So in the interm there became alsort of gunwriter experts that didn't know their ass from a hole in the ground but got paid for writing articles plumb full of flat ass wrong info such as measuring bp by volume.....And everybody knows gunwriters are never wrong....

It sure is confusing.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Weight vs volume for BP isn't all that confusing. Find a volume load the gun runs with and weigh it. Do it a couple three or four times and note the variation in weight. At that point you have a reference point for weighed loads as one searches for the Holy Grail with that particular gun AND powder granulation AND brand. Different brands of BP have different levels of energy. As example, it is said that Swiss powder generates about 10% more energy per volume than say, Goex. I don't know that's true or not but guess it is more energetic to some degree than Goex. My guns think so anyway. A 60 grain charge of Swiss 1-1/2 FG by volume weighs in around the mid 60 grain range as I recall. 65 grains by volume puts you over the 70 weighed grain threshold.

Weighing is something that competitors shooting long range routinely do.

OTOH, BP converts only about half of it's volume to energy. That's where all the smoke and fouling come from. Since the relative energy production is low per volume, small variations in charge mass are not as critical as with smokeless powder because pressure variations are not so pronounced.

Don't let your gun smell like Rosie O'Donnell.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dan if you pour 2f swiss into a little pile on a sheet of paper and then pour a pile of Goex 3f right beside it... You'll notice the two are almost identicle in powder kernel size, same with 1.5 swiss and Goex 2.... That's where all this stuff about swiss being more energetic came from, but when you start comparing equal sized powder the table gets leveled a tad...

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Weight vs volume for BP isn't all that confusing. Find a volume load the gun runs with and weigh it. Do it a couple three or four times and note the variation in weight. At that point you have a reference point for weighed loads as one searches for the Holy Grail with that particular gun AND powder granulation AND brand. Different brands of BP have different levels of energy. As example, it is said that Swiss powder generates about 10% more energy per volume than say, Goex. I don't know that's true or not but guess it is more energetic to some degree than Goex. My guns think so anyway. A 60 grain charge of Swiss 1-1/2 FG by volume weighs in around the mid 60 grain range as I recall. 65 grains by volume puts you over the 70 weighed grain threshold.

Weighing is something that competitors shooting long range routinely do.

OTOH, BP converts only about half of it's volume to energy. That's where all the smoke and fouling come from. Since the relative energy production is low per volume, small variations in charge mass are not as critical as with smokeless powder because pressure variations are not so pronounced.

Don't let your gun smell like Rosie O'Donnell.

So that's only necessary for competition. From what I've read using a volume measure is all one needs if competition isn't on the menu. For my needs I don't intend to weight each and every load. I don't care if the group isn't the tightest on record. Or am I missing something here.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks Ranch. I don't have all the different grades and brands to compare, but what you say rings true. Use Swiss 1.5 in the big bore target iron and Goex 3f in the .45 flint....weighed and volume in that order.

Dude, the flintlock is for hunting mostly but will run about 2" or slightly larger 5 shot groups at 50 yds; offhand. 45 gr by volume works dandy with that application.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you have a good measure and powder horn you can pour some extremely consitant powder charges. It sort of sets folks back when they weight what their volume measure pours out into a scale.

It took me a little bit to figure out that those European powders were sized "metric" Once I got to treating the 2f like goex 3f things came around pretty good, but I don't like that hard red clay crap fouling Swiss leaves behind. Dang stuff is way over priced and over rated. I like Schuetzen more than Swiss, but KIK has the whole dang bunch beat.

www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by derby_dude

Whatever kid.

Now you know why I have him on ignore. I never want to get that grumpy as an old man. What a jerk.

By your own declaration, you are too old, and it's too late to think about growing your own food.

"Grumpy old man" ?

Post a picture of yourself,...you mouthy dickhead.

Double dog DARE ya'

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Marcus Antonius:

And Caesar's spirit, raging for revenge,
With Ate by his side come hot from hell,
Shall in these confines with a monarch's voice
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war,
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Julius Caesar Act 3, scene 1, 270�275

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you have a good measure and powder horn you can pour some extremely consitant powder charges. It sort of sets folks back when they weight what their volume measure pours out into a scale.

It took me a little bit to figure out that those European powders were sized "metric" Once I got to treating the 2f like goex 3f things came around pretty good, but I don't like that hard red clay crap fouling Swiss leaves behind. Dang stuff is way over priced and over rated. I like Schuetzen more than Swiss, but KIK has the whole dang bunch beat.

KIK, that's the one the Capital Sports has right now. I spelled the workd wrong. The big man at Capital Sports says he's been using that for some time and really likes it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Well KIK is one I've not tried and when I work my way thru the supply of Swiss I'll give it a run. Never heard anything but good about KIK. The red fouling you refer to with Swiss is a puzzle to me. I've heard the complaint a number of times but have yet to experience such malfeasance. Might be the loads I run are fairly mild? Dunno about that. All my comparative experience is Swiss, Goex and Elephant from some time ago. Swiss wins the race for me in the target guns, hands down. I don't see anything particularly queer about Goex but it does foul a little more than Swiss.

On the consistency of volume charges, they can be consistent, I agree with that. A string of 60 gr.(vol.) charges I threw awhile back had a weight spread of about 1.7 grains for 10 charges. Probably that could be narrowed down a bit with practice, but the method works lacking other alternatives. It was good enough for 3d in the Polecat Porter match last year. I got beat by the Harsh Brothers and that ain't no sin. 20 shots, time rules, 200 yards w/ wind running about 8 o'clock @ a puffy 10-20 mph.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dan the thing about the red hard fouling in Swiss, I think has to do with our dry climate here. Those that shoot the stuff in the more arid climates use a pretty agressive fouling control to keep the gun running. Those of you that seldom see humidity below 30% get along with the stuff just fine without special hoops to jump thru as far as fouling control.

www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Humidity is never in short supply down here. grin

I am..........disturbed.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Dan the thing about the red hard fouling in Swiss, I think has to do with our dry climate here. Those that shoot the stuff in the more arid climates use a pretty aggressive fouling control to keep the gun running. Those of you that seldom see humidity below 30% get along with the stuff just fine without special hoops to jump thru as far as fouling control.

That begs the question of using more lube to help soften the fouling or to help keep it soft. A softer lube in grease-groove bullets or a lube disc (cookie) under a paper-patched bullet perhaps?

I've been trying to pay attention... grin

This spring, we have no shortage of humidity in East Texas, so I don't think I'll have the issue of hard fouling. smile

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

97 members (6mmCreedmoor, 338reddog, 14idaho, 01Foreman400, achlupsa, 35, 5 invisible), 1,533 guests, and 814 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,323
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.