Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#6498089 05/12/12
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image] On Thursday morning I went to the property where I opened the season two weeks ago. That morning at 5:25 a gobbler was sounding off right where I wanted him to be except too close to the field, and it was quickly getting light so I couldn't get positioned properly. A hen and a jake flew into the field from the corner. Another hen flew down right below him, and another walked into the field. All were right below his roost tree. I was hoping he'd join them and meander my way, but at 6:05 he flew down the opposite direction, away from his hens! Then at 6:20 -- BOOM! I went over there and the guy said he missed.

I returned Monday and Tuesday, but didn't hear anything and figured the turkey had been hit and went off somewhere to die. Today I decided to check again, and at 5:40 he gobbled. Whether it's the same one or not, I don't know. I gave a quiet yelp or two on my scratchbox, and he gobbled right back. Then I heard a couple of hens. One flew down about 40 yards to my left. She walked by me at about 20 yards and into the field. Then I heard another fly down. When she got to about 30 yards I gave her a few notes on the diaphragm so she wouldn't hurry into the field too quickly and cause the gobbler to enter the field before coming into range.

Next, here this guy comes. He fanned out once, then folded and walked behind a tree. I got the gun up and shot him at 28 steps. Time for a dirt nap. He folded permanently.

This is actually the first gobbler I've heard since opening day. Between our state outdoor writers' conference, and being sick, I haven't hunted every day. Still 2� weeks to tag #2 -- except that I have to take time out to travel to Chicago for my daughter's medical school graduation.

The stats: 17� pounds, 1" spurs, 9" beard, 5:55 AM (I think that's my earliest).

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Great job.

Congrats on your daughter's graduation, also!

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
You're allowed two birds now? Back when I lived there it was only one. Good for you guys.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pabucktail
You're allowed two birds now? Back when I lived there it was only one. Good for you guys.

A few years ago the PGC decided hunters could take two gobblers without diminishing the resource. The second tag is available to everyone who wants to pay $21 for it, and it must be bought before the youth day.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
And........you guys get to play all day, starting tomorrow.

I don't know how much that would interest me but I understand the reasoning. (no reason not too hunt all day, IF you can stay awake!)

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Congrats.....

.....and I have tomorrow off. First time I'm going to do an afternoon Pa. hunt if needed.

Those woods naps are some of the best. wink Just check yourself for ticks. Make that check yourself really well for ticks.!!!!

Last edited by battue; 05/13/12.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I can't burn the candle at both ends for very long. Plus, I have other commitments. Mrs. NeveraDay Hunter makes sure of that.

For me, afternoon hunting isn't that important. The main benefit is that if I get out to do some evening scouting/roosting, I can take my shotgun. Last year I didn't hear of many killed in the afternoon.

Steve.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
congratulations on both occaisions. i saw my grandson graduate
from a phila. med school 6 years ago. he still has several years of residency for his chosen field.
i wasent aware of the 2 bird situation or of the afternoon hunting.
i guess lots of things could be slipping by me these days.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Congrats! Hope you get that second one, I sure wish it was still Turkey Season here in OK!!

may all your projectiles fly true!!
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Wow, hunting past 12:00? Logic begins! Now if you could just hunt on Sundays and have a spring bear season. Glad to seen things improving.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Maybe this after 12noon hunting isn't all that bad.

Raining in the AM so I rolled over and hit the alarm. It slowed to a drizzle and I got in the woods just after noon. Saw one Gobbler that had the nerve to ignore me and I moved on after an hour of messing around with him.

Saw a hen out in a cut so I started on her to see what would happen. She was coming and then two Deer almost ran her over and she headed into the woods.

Flushed one on the edge of a gas line road and a little further on, around 6pm, I called in another hen that ended up almost in my lap doing the lets get together clucks for about 10minutes. Finally she bored of the game and moved on.

Rain started up again and I headed home.

Been an interesting season so far.

Last edited by battue; 05/14/12.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats!

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
D
dcd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
can do the 4 am stuff in my sleep {so to speak} so i thought id try the late day pennsylvania gig. spotted to adults that were very familiar with the farmers son the previous two weeks in the early morning. they showed up in a new corn field at 4:30 in the afternoon and had no interest in the three hens already on the field. long story short i laid in wait for three and half hours {8:01 pm} and sure enough they marched into 25 yards....bang...10 1/2 inches...done!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (12savage, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 160user, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 55 invisible), 2,596 guests, and 1,369 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,679
Posts18,474,876
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.