Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Don't blame her.
"Hi Mrs. Loco, how are you today"

smile

I wore one years ago until I was jumping over the side of a truck like Sam hauls fertilizer in that had a wooden box with a flat iron strap nailed onto the top. Good thing the ground was no further away as my ring hung up on a nail. Took the ring off that day & started wearing it again in 2007 after I quit farming.

Last edited by highwayman; 05/13/12. Reason: more info ...

Dave
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I work in the oil and gas business, seen too many smashed fingers with wedding bands on them. So no I dont wear mine.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Got married almost 18 years ago and have worn it every day since. That includes 16 years as a farmer although I would take it off sometimes, depending on the job at hand.

My Dad's been married 60 years and still farms, as far as I know, he wears his every day.

Dale

This space for rent

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by amax155
Never had a job that permitted wearing one, so I don't.

I am sure that has a bunch to do with it. I never had a job where I could not work safely with a ring like, machinist, excavation work, heavy equipment tear down, and welder, farmer, you know just office stuff. wink

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

My guess is that if any of us was married to Eileen(JB's wife), we would not take our wedding rings off at any time, even if JB does.

Just a guess!!

Steve

IC B2

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Been married 25 years. Almost lost a finger in an incident that left a pretty good gouge in the ring not long after I was married.
Been in a keep sake box on my dresser ever since.
At this stage in my life I would have to buy a new one as my finger are quite a bit thicker than when I was in my early twenties.

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Scott F

I am sure that has a bunch to do with it. I never had a job where I could not work safely with a ring like, machinist, excavation work, heavy equipment tear down, and welder, farmer, you know just office stuff. wink

No offense but it sounds like you never did any of the above as a living.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Nope.Metal and high voltage don't go good together.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Can't speak for Amax, but the Company I work for actually does have a policy against wearing any jewelry in the plant.

NRA Endowment Member, Life since 1978
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by FVA

No offense but it sounds like you never did any of the above as a living.

My degree is in machining and I made my living turning the handles of lathes, mills, and surface grinders for most of my life. Worked in the dirt for an excavating company for long enough to know it is no fun in hundred degree heat or below zero. I welded for all my machining days and while in the navy along with some hard hat salvage diving. After I retired I helped my nephew for a while tearing apart dozers, excavators, wheel loaders, and rollers to put into 40 ft containers for shipment overseas. Have been a deputy sheriff and a fire fighter along the way too.

Most of my life I have worked with my hands since I started making a living at 15 with a wood lathe.

I was married the first time in '68 and divorced in '76 married the right lady in '79 and am still married. I have worn a wedding ever married day of my life.

I still have all ten fingers.

No offense taken. It is just my normal warped sense of humor. grin

6/3079 - today

[Linked Image]

IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I wear mine everyday.... wink

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I don't have one. I couldn't wear it when flying and I wouldn't wear one working on equipment at work.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Buddy of mine lost a finger jumping off the back of a deuce and a half and another one arced his while working on the batteries in his Bradley. I decided I wasn't going to wear one. My wife of 21 years understands.

Last edited by dodgefan; 05/13/12.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Wear mine every day! Before we got married, I told my bride-to-be that if I were to wear a wedding ring every day it would have to be constructed stout enough that it would not be easily crushed as I have had friends and relatives lose fingers due to their rings.

She had our rings custom made by a gent in Albuquerque, NM and they are stout!

Stout enough that I was attacked by a pitbull and when he bit down on my left hand, the ring stopped him. His right canines still completely penetrated my palm, but he couldn't get a good grip so he tried to re-attach. That's when I "unattached" and fixed the problem.

I will wear this ring until I die, or lose the finger.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
It is a personal decision and I do not think there is a wrong answer. I just happen to agree with you.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wore mine 24/7 for the first month or two we were married. Went down to the inlaws' place one time and was out in the shop with my FIL (he was a pipefitter). He saw my ring and said to take it off and put it in my pocket while in his shop and while at work. He said he had seen too many men lose or mangle their fingers on the job (and I did a lot of climbing around on piperacks, cranes and rigging at the time). I never did wear any jewelry before we were married, not even a watch, as they were uncomfortable to me. I now wear my wedding ring, and one of my Dad's rings, on special occasions. Been almost 36 years now and my wife understands why and is OK with it.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hocked mine,then sold the pawn ticket.

I think it AFTER the divorce,but it might not have been.

We ARE just talking about FIRST wedding rings,ain't we?grin

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Thank god I had on my wedding ring the day that (insert bad thing here) happened to me. I would have lost my finger!

Okay, not really. But it's amazing how many people have lost fingers because of rings. (Also amazing how many of those people are not here, but rather "uncles" and "the brother of this guy I knew...)

I've worn mine since my wife put it on my finger, a long damn time ago. I think there might be some magic in that, so I don't really want to take it off. And despite all the welding and heavy machinery, I still have all my fingers. Although I think one of my uncles might be shy a few.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Been married almost 15 years to a lovely farm girl. She makes damn sure I take it off every Monday morning before I go to work (electrician). As far the band and fidelity goes. I have had more women hit on me while wearing it than not. And it is not because I am a handsome devil.... some women out there are just plain mean.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by UncleJake
Been married almost 15 years to a lovely farm girl. She makes damn sure I take it off every Monday morning before I go to work (electrician).

Ya,...you let that son of a gun come in contact with a buss bar and its all over with for that didget.... crazy

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (Anaconda, alffe, 6mmCreedmoor, 375sunrise, 12 invisible), 839 guests, and 868 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,977
Posts18,519,915
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.