Print Thread
Hop To
M
mike762 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
I realize that this is a casting forum, but was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with Corbin swaging equipment, and if it is difficult to do?

I was looking at a couple of their sets, specifically the one that can be used on a regular single stage reloading press to make .22 bullets out of .22 RF cases, and the one that will make LSWC's with a copper disc on the bottom for handgun bullets, also using a regular reloading press. Thanks.

If the American People allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks..., will deprive the People of all their Property,...Thomas Jefferson
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I can offer no help Mike. There's no one near me who swags.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sorry, me either. I know no one who swages.

Swaging equipment used to be prohibitively expensive when compared to casting. Never did it.

Rolly
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Try the cast bullit forum. [ castboolits. com]

M
mike762 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Thanks guys. I saw that it was expensive, but being able to make .224 40-60 gr bullets from used .22 LR cases looks like it would pay for itself if you shoot enough. That, and you could be your own bullet manufacturer as long as you had lead and .22 cases.

I'll try the castboolits website.

If the American People allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks..., will deprive the People of all their Property,...Thomas Jefferson
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How much does a swaging die cost these days? What if the shape of bullet you chose doesn't shoot? How much are you out for the die?

Rolly
M
mike762 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
The one's at which I was looking were relatively expensive compared to molds and lead pots, but I was looking to use old .22 cases and cast the lead wire in molds that they sell. Here's the site where I was looking:

http://www.corbins.com

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Check out http://www.ch4d.com/catalog/bullet there bullet forming dies are a bit cheaper and can be used in reloading presses like the RCBS Rock Chucker. Unfortunately I think they only do pistol calibers so it may not be much help.

Lots of bullet swaging how to video can be found here http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=UUFNu3E85j9MKRUv7RjJB1XA&feature=plcp

Artisan in Lead, bullets and powder
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I figured I'd have to dish out close to $1000, and put some value on my own labor I quickly lost interest in swaging.

To me swaging only makes economic sense if you are loading for an odball caliber or a big bore where bullets are $1 ea or more.

Let's say it's $1000 to get set up with equipment and materials, and for that same money you could buy 10,000 varmint nightmare bullets from midsouth. How many hours will it take you to crank out those 10,000 bullets, and will they even shoot as well as the cheapest bulk varmint bullets?

I know the $1000 I quoted is for their press, not using a reloading press, but a reloading press is really only suitable for 22 cal bullets. Going to larger dia bullets will require a more powerful press.

M
mike762 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Thanks res45, I'll look into it.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I looked into this 30 or more years ago and it didn't make economic sense back then. Too much initial investment, too much extra work, you had to find jackets or make them, make your wire, cut it properly, etc. etc. and if you were really careful your finished product might be as good as the bulk bullets already on the market.

Casting cost you a cheap Lee pot or a really expensive $100 RCBS pot, a mold, any old scrap lead you could find and you were in business.

Back when Rock Chuck Bullet Swage* first got started and you couldn't find jacketed varmint bullets for love or money making them out of spent .22 cases was a viable alternative, but today we are sitting too pretty to do that unless someone wants to do it just to do it.

*and now the newbies know how RCBS got its name. wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Swaging equipment for sale. Not cheap but you will not have to wait 18 months or longer .

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (1Longbow, 1936M71, 1234, 007FJ, 160user, 1lessdog, 54 invisible), 2,421 guests, and 1,165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,527
Posts18,491,115
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.