Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
mudstud Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Took a road trip this past week-end, and had a chance to fondle a Fausti Round Bottom SxS 20 gauge, 28", straight stock, double triggers. I loved that gun!! But, I am a little apprehensive about picking up any "off-brands".
Five years down the road, Fausti might be teats up, and parts unavailable. Thoughts?

Talk is cheap. It takes money to buy whiskey.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I prefer SXS 20ga doubles and with double triggers and a straight grip as you mentioned.

I have handled the Fausti doubles. They are nice but somewhat expensive. Also a used gun is ready for some brush and wet.

At least expensive compared to the two used ones I got a couple of years ago. While I found mine on the rack in CT gunshops and while you might be far from one there is the internet. I have had very good luck on Gun Broker etc.

One of the 20's is a V.Bernadeli Gamecock with 27.5" barrels at 5#,13oz. I have had this one longer and done very well on pheasants with it. It cost about $880.

The other is a Ugartechea M221 with 24.5" barrels at 5#,9oz. It was as new with plain wood. It's my current favorite. It cost only $400.

[Linked Image]

Link

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Fausti isn't an "off brand," just new to some American consumers. It has been around for a long time. Originally they were a small more-or-less custom shop that made shotguns "to order" from parts sourced mainly from larger manufacturers: some Italian, some German (receivers and Krupp barrels) and Belgian (for "damascus" barrels, when they were popular). In other words, they were just like most of the double shotgun makers in Italy, except for the "giants"--Beretta, Bernardelli, Franchi, and one of the Zolis, all of whom made other weapons, including military.

Recently they have become a much larger and more modern firm with more modern manufacturing methods. I was in their factory store near Brescia this October. It looks to me like they will be there for a long time. Business was....booming. They make everything from field grade guns to truly spectacular ones (that most of us would never take hunting--and I suspect most Italians wouldn't either).

Last edited by Mesa; 05/11/12.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
They make many of the shotguns for the lable names.

mudstud Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The early Weatherby Regency shotguns from the late 60's were labeled "Made in Italy". Did Fausti make the Regency?

Talk is cheap. It takes money to buy whiskey.
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
No, Weatherby Regencys were made by Angelo Zoli--or the parts were put together by Zoli after being made by various shops.

I bought a Fausti DEA SL 28-gauge last year. Got it in as a test gun for an article, and after shooting it couldn't let it go. It has a single trigger, and I don't usually like single triggers, but couldn't make the trigger fail to go bang in quite a bit of shooting. It's a superbly balanced 5 pounds 2 ounces, with 28" barrels with screw-in chokes, and a really nice little gun!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I have seen enough negative comments/experiences re Fausti shotguns on places like Shooting Sportsman BB and Upland Journal, that I would be real careful there. Mostly related to very uneven quality of fit and finish on some of their guns. The old rule "Buy the Gun, Not the Name" still applies.

I just bought an Ugartechea Mdl 40 16 bore sideby, preowned that I couldnt be happier with. Not a big name but one that is often overlooked and/or under appreciated.

And Vencinzio Bernardelli is one of my very favorite makers. TOO BAD they went OB after 250 years!! cry

NB

NRA Life Member
"Use Enough Gun"- Robert Ruark
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Yeah, VB was a great loss. They made great doubles at a decent price for many years.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (10gaugeman, 1234, 160user, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 007FJ, 61 invisible), 2,355 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,517
Posts18,472,450
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.