Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Exactly. That knife is not properly designed to use the gut hook on the off-edge side. It's an accident waiting to happen and did.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It may be a bad design but the guy is a fricken idiot for bringing a bad tool into an environment in which his life may depend on said tool. For doing it, he will probably get paid well. Only in America.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Sorry for the stupid [bleep]. I use end cutters , linemens or othercutters as a knife lends no control when the piece gives way. On stage where I work I always tell my jr workers to use dikes or sidecutters as they are safe. Understand on the trail that carrying many tools are problematic. However the cable tie manifactures recomend sidecutters or like tools. Always cut away from your balls.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I can see how this happened also. I'm curious if the owner's manual mentioned anything about poles?

[Linked Image]

Yep .....dumbasses get what they deserve........

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dumbschitts shouldn't be allowed to have sharp objects.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
IC B2

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Pretty thoughtless generalisation there redfoxx...sure some lawyers are scum but some of us actually shoot, hunt and don't run around chasing ambulances...

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Nuts. That is why something like 30 or 40% of the cost of a ladder is to cover the mfg's liability insurance.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The instruction manual that came with one of my chainsaws cautioned against trying to stop the moving chain with your fingers. I suspect that the warning was a result of a law suit.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
the hammer hit my finger last nite........ today i'm looking for a good lawyer....

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by doubletap
The instruction manual that came with one of my chainsaws cautioned against trying to stop the moving chain with your fingers. I suspect that the warning was a result of a law suit.
hows about the pic's in "the manual" that show u NOT how to cut the limb off the tree.... that YOU are standing on.......

IC B3

C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
I'm just curious.. Have you guys actually met this guy? Seems like everybody is calling him a dumbshit, etc.. I don't live up there, so you guys might be privy to info I don't have. He seems rather accomplished in mushing.

You guys are comparing this incident with others accidents that happened by operator error.

What he is suing about is the design of the knife is such that it can close and cause personal injury while being used PROPERLY, with no fault to the user. He's going to have a tough time proving that. If he had simply cut himself, he'd have no case. But since he feels that he was using the knife properly, and the design caused him to lose his finger, he is suing.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I guess he has the right to sue for the injury, but I have a problem with him suing for "lost wages," claiming he was going to win if not for the injury. That's an awfully big stretch.

Maybe this would ghave been a better choice.

[Linked Image]

Support your local brewer.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The lawsuit is the issue--we all make stupid mistakes, so hone up.

As for remedy, I'd suggest he pay someone for a primer in buying equipment suitable to the task.

Caveat emptor

Defend the Constitution
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If other people have had this happen to them I would think he might have a chance in the lawsuit but this is the first I have heard bout this sort of thing happening with this knife. Using the guthook for something other gutting might be enough in itself for them to dismiss the suit.

Being an accomplished outdoorsman doesn't exclude one from having an "oh [bleep]" moment every now and again. It's his own fault and he should just own up to it and move on.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I was gonna win the silver salmon derby until my rod broke. I should sue. Defending this guy whether you know him or not is just stupid.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Seems to me that Mitch feels a bit entitled. He's run the Iditarod many, many times, and won only once. To sue for lost wages is B.S.

If he broke his sled, would he sue the sled maker? The list goes on and on.

A
ATC Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Sounds like he even admitted that he wasn't using the GUT HOOK for its intended purpose. Design flaw or not with a good defense lawyer it should be case closed.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think the guy that got snake bit in the Wal Mart stands a much better chance of winning.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KenaiSlayer1
I was gonna win the silver salmon derby until my rod broke. I should sue. Defending this guy whether you know him or not is just stupid.
you to??? what the h*ll.......

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If I sued the manufacturer every time I misused a product and injured myself I'd be a rich man today.

God Bless America!
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (17CalFan, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 16gage, 160user, 01Foreman400, 52 invisible), 2,767 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,366
Posts18,488,128
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.