-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I've been trying to do a little research about them here on the forum, but, I can't seem to locate any threads,
What say you that have them, like them? or, ???
t
Thanks for your thoughts opinios, and experiences?
BD

Men ocassionaly stumble over the truth from time to time but, most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.
- Winston Churchill-

NRA Endowment Life Member
GB1

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I have the 6000. I used it on multiple backpacking trips last summer and on 3 backpack hunts totaling 16 days and did pack out a bull elk in it. That said my experience has been great. There is one major flaw that seems to be the driving issue for most folks disliking it and that is the shoulder straps slipped. When you put a good amount of weight in to it the shoulder straps would slowly slip until all the weight was on your hips and the pack was moving around. This was miserable! They just sent out new straps for free and it has solved the problem for me. I got this pack specifically to be able to take in a camp then use it as a day pack while hunting and it is perfect for that. It is light and straps down to almost flat and moves with the body well. Others have had issues with the hip belt design but I love it. The pack really moves with your body which was awesome while bow hunting, I wouldn't even take the pack off when stalking. This hip belt design is the same that arxteryx and Black diamond are using and seem to be popular with their crowds for what its worth and it could be worth researching there packs to compare reviews. When you have a heavy load in the pack you just tighten up the straps and the belt wont sway as much but if you dont it will sway you off balance and be really annoying. It was comfortable packing out a young bull in two trips so no complaints. It may not carry weight over 80 lbs as well as a mystery ranch but for me I wanted a pack that was a jack of all trades and if I wanted a pack to haul 100lbs I would get a frame pack but to each their own. This forum is strongly in favor of Mystery Ranch and for good reason mind you but it seems hard to get good reviews on any competitors so good luck and hope this helps!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Wyotradhunter, run candle wax up and down the (level) adjustment straps on the upper part of the shoulder straps on your pack. I have two packs and this tip has helped keep my packs in place, resting where they belong for a longer periods of time. Candle wax is cheap. I hunted in the rain/snow a couple of days last season with fairly heavy loads and it worked well for me.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the responses!!I would certainly like to hear more about Kuiu packs, the carbon fiber technology is interesting to me and I'm wondering how those of you that have them, like them?????

Men ocassionaly stumble over the truth from time to time but, most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.
- Winston Churchill-

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I,ve been looking at this pack also and can,t find much info from user,s either.

Long live the NRA
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have the Icon 6000 and it is the most comfortable pack I have used. With that being said KUIU has a new frame and suspension coming out soon that I would wait on. Its a improved version of the 2011 Icon. Also adding a 5000 CI and a 7000 CI bags.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Thats what I been looking for .
Thanks

Long live the NRA
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I just watched the video on the new packs and also the new frame. Looks like nice stuff, I like the new packs and how you can carry your rifle along the side. Seems to be a nice thought out pack.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks again fellas for the responses, last week the 3000 pack bags were 40% off so I called Kuiu and asked them a few questions about both the bags and frame. I was told that the frame had been improved and would be coming out sometime in July and that the currently available bags would work on them without any trouble. After watching the videos and based on the coversation, I went ahead and bought the 3000 bag on sale and it arrived this week. It appears to be well thought out and constructed. I also found out that Kuiu will be offering rain covers for the packs also, something that I feel would be useful up here in the Pac.N.W.

- Winston Churchill-

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I did the same plus I ordered the frame I am going to try out this on my NZ trek and this summer on my mt hood trip time will tellpp

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the heads up ehunter about ordering the frame, I wasn't able to place a preorder for the frame last week when I ordered the bag because they weren't taking preorders just yet.
I got an email the night before last from them and forgot to look at it until your post. They are taking preorders for the 2012 frames now and Deb mentioned that those of you that may already have the bags will need an adaptor kit to mount the 2011 style bags to the new frame. Deb also mentioned that they were going to send along the adaptor kit free of charge since I just purchased the bag and don't have the frame yet!!!! Now thats great customer service. I preordered the rain cover for it too.
I really like the clothing I've purchased from them also.

Great group of people down there at Kuiu, helpful, friendly, and courteous and a pleasure to do business with.

BD

- Winston Churchill-

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I had experience with the Icon 3000 this past Jan. and really liked it. It was well thought out, light and handled up to about 50# of de-boned elk. The top entry relies on a folded flap which had a learning curve but once worked with, it was fine.
Any upgrade in stitching or fabric can only make it better.
Good stuff.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Thanks Bigdog1 I didn't know that didn't think to ask I will call them and make sure they I get the adapter kit.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I have the 3000 and use it as a day pack and it is really comfortable. No back issues or slipping. I have also not had more than 50 pounds in it. Really nice going through brush and rough stuff. It seems to get hung up less than other packs.
Wait for the new frame and you should be fine, it has lots of adjustment to fit better.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Thanks I am on the list grin I was a bit reluctant to pluck down that much cash but..we will see its what gear junkies do grin

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
ehunter, did you give them a call about the adaptor kit and how did it go? once again thanks for the heads up about the preorders.
BD

- Winston Churchill-

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
yep I called but they had already made a note on my pack to do that great customer service is all I can say grin

Last edited by ehunter; 06/02/12.

S
S
KUIU has discontinued the 3000 and 6000 and are now making a 5000 and 7000. The bags are double reinforced on the bottom and back, have more head clearance than before, now have side pockets for rifle, spotting scope, etc., large front pocket, and a load sling that attaches from the frame to the bags so you can pack the XL Roll Top Bag into it with meat or whatever. I'm pretty excited.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I hadn't heard that they were discontinuing the 3000 or the 6000, but rather adding the 5000 and the 7000 to the line with the additional features.

- Winston Churchill-

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

669 members (10Glocks, 160user, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 68 invisible), 2,729 guests, and 1,438 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,099
Posts18,483,079
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.