Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I live in New Zealand, and my eldest son is at Polytech doing a 2 year Diploma in Mechanical Engineering. On completion in 2 years time he wants to do an apprenticeship, to become a gunsmith. Unfortunately our options here in NZ are very limited and he is considering coming to the US to complete one of the 2 year gunsmith training courses available - any ideas as to which is the best? Or what other options there may be?
Cheers, Al

Guide/Outfitter, NZ Backcountry Guides, fishing and hunting since 1985
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
He'd probably make a hell of a lot better living as a mechanical engineer. That aside, to me the best and quickest way to learn gunsmithing would be to actually work with an established shop. Preferably one that has every type of repairs coming through their doors. Learning the major designs and their idiosyncrasies in an actual, real, day to day operation, goes a long way when developing diagnostic skills while solving actual problems. Working with a full time shop not only builds good day to day problem solving skills, but equally important, it helps develop the all important skill of knowing when to turn money sucking jobs away. Of course, whether he learn in a school setting, or a working shop, he should plan on provide his own living while learning the trade.

Lock, Stock and Barrel gunworks
SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Al: i have had a few courses at Lassen College in Susanville, California and Trinidad State in Raton, New Mexico. There were all NRA summer gunsmithing courses consisting of a week or two each. I have had machining (lathe & mill), welding and wood working classes at Honolulu Community College on Oahu. Also leather work, crafts and jewelry making (silver brazing and investment casting) at other places in Honolulu. These were semester courses. By far the most important skill is how to run a business. Either take a few classes in business/mareting/small service business set ups or marry a gun friendly shooter who shamelessly promotes your gunsmithing business and is your number one fan. It worked for me!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

499 members (257Bob, 257Ackley, 1beaver_shooter, 22kHornet, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 57 invisible), 3,432 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,699
Posts18,534,626
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.