Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
CGPAUL Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
We will be there again next Sat. the 26th. Anything change in the past two years? Anything we should watch for in particular?
Overniting at the Afton House, then on to P.E. Sunday.
Last time through was a breeze. Hope the same this time.

Thanks

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Give an update after your trip. I'm following the same path later this year. i'm curious about domestic flights and restrictions.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Wife & I went thru Jo-Burg in mid Sept. and again last day of Sept., No problems at all going and I don't know if the issue coming back home was out of the ordinary or not. About 20 minutes before our flight left to the US, about 6 Security guys & gals showed up and separated the men & women getting on the flight home. A quick search of carry on bags and a pat down of a few people and it was over in about 20 minutes or so.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nothing new to report since a couple weeks ago. Are you flying South African down to PE?

C
CGPAUL Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Yes. Problems?

IC B2

C
CGPAUL Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Had a similar experience in Dullas befor getting on the SA flight last trip. No problems tho..

M
M
I'd personally stay at the City Lodge at the airport. No need to even leave the airport. Comfortable & reasonable. If you want something really nice, stay at the Intercontinental at the airport. You can just walk back in the airport for dinner/bfast ect. Good luck!

C
CGPAUL Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Thanks for the suggestion...if there is a next time we`ll do it. But like the "wiggly" things in the water-mixed-with-gin drink, right or wrong, the Afton goes with the African experience.

Come to think of it, we never did have that drink.

Thanks

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by CGPAUL
Yes. Problems?

Fortunately not. They handle the firearms on a regular basis and know what to do with them. When you check in for the connecting flight the SAPS office is close by. Soon as you exit the SAPS office take a left and keep going till you get the gates for your check-in.

Enjoy your hunt and take many pictures!

C
CGPAUL Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Thank you..we will. Both looking forward to it.

IC B3

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
CG,
Who you hunting with? My wife and I will be trailing you in 3 weeks. Have fun and take lot's of pictures!
Mark

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My wife and I will be arriving in Jo. Berg. on June 1 ( from my memory and may not be absolutely correct). Will be hunting with JJHack from this thread. Anticipation is building by the day.

Rolly
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Rolly,
I and my wife and son are one week behind you. We fly out of K.C. on June 8 but don't start our hunt until June 17. Touring around Durbin the week before and Capetown the week after a 10 day hunt..with De Duine Safaris near Karuman a little west of Kimberley.
Have a great time.

Its not always easy to do the right thing, But it is always the right thing to do.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Tanker,
My wife and I fly out of Austin on 8 June. Leave JFK next morning to Joberg.We are hunting at Blaauwkrantz on the East Cape,again.
Mark

C
CGPAUL Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
African Cape Safaris close to Grahamstown, with Gary Sparrow.
11 animal management hunt, which my son and I will share. Kudo, springbok etc. Should be fun, getting close now.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I would not stay at Afton. I stayed a O R Tambo hotel in the airport. Room was very nice, and new. Much cleaner and more modern than Afton. About 100 bucks. Great food. Easy to make connections. Best ever used when overnighting in JOB.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Well, say what you will, but I've stayed at Afton, twice now. Great accomadations, pluss they have a man at the airport to help you get where you need.

maddog

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by RinB
I would not stay at Afton. I stayed a O R Tambo hotel in the airport. Room was very nice, and new. Much cleaner and more modern than Afton. About 100 bucks. Great food. Easy to make connections. Best ever used when overnighting in JOB.

Last time I stayed at Afton and it was fine. If you stay at the airport hotel what is the procedure for your guns. Do you have to go through So African customs logging them in/out or can you bypass them altogether since you are staying inside the airport and just check in for your next flight the following morning?

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation"
"Dangerous Game Hunting........because golf, football and baseball only require one ball"
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
If you leave the airport, you have to go through the SAPS office. I guess you could leave your guns in their hands, but you are taking an awful risk. Seriously, my son and I have done it twice, and it really isn't that big a deal. In two trips, we've hade zero problems with the SAPS office, and neither time did we get pre- approved permits.

maddog

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have passed thru JOB either 15 or 16 times and never with help from a preapproved service. Fill the form out before you leave and be patient and polite. I smile and wait for an officer to tell me what to do. All will go well.

I went thru saps and then walked to the airport hotel with all my stuff and checked in. Had a shower and went down to have a nice dinner from a very nice menu. Got a good nights sleep and got up the next morning to catch the flight to Pietersberg/Polokwane. No problem.

The room was just like a nice hotel I have stayed in downtown Seattle or Orlando etc. Very nice and modern. New clean linen. Very modern juat like a US hotel in a major city. Afton was old, the room , the bed, the linen, the towels, and you had one choice, a BBQ steak for a hefty price. No phone in room, no tv, no internet, no bathroom in my room and it cost more than the hotel.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 56 invisible), 2,421 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,396
Posts18,488,877
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.