Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by redfoxx
Flat and downwind of whatever I'm hunting to start with. Fairly close to water is the next step.

What he said. And sheltered from the wind.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I have a an Large alice pack that I use for camping. It houses anything for sustainment purposes on the out side 3 pocket and a 2 QT and Entrenching tool. My shelter is 5 bujie cords with a poncho in the cebter. The bunji's are hood to all four corners and around trees. About 12 invhed off the ground.

First I select the Trees I neeed to hook to. Then clear it out with my E-toll and put up my shelter. Then put my rucksack inside at one end. the kidney pad acts as my pillow. After it is up I take my etool out and dig a 6-8 in drainage ditch around my hooch for water to run into incase of rain. Oncethats completed with an outlet for the water to run if I should get any, Then it is time to make inprovements. This is the start of my capm site.

Battle is an orgy of disorder. George S. Patton, I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6, V/R Chris https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...12828/gonew/1/Call_to_fellow_Vets#UNREAD
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
elk

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by stomatador
My pack trips are pretty much limited to hunting season (just not enough time these days) so my criteria are more specific:

- Proximity to glassing perch, I like to make coffee just before daylight and walk less than 100 yards to my glassing perch, drink my coffee and watch animals move.
- Cover, I don't want the game to see my camp and I like to be as protected from the elements as possible.
- Water, I sacrifice this for glassing so I cache a lot of water before season. Last year we were over 900 vertical feet above the stream.

This is closest to my criteria, except that seldom are we very far from water. We've had a few dry camps a quarter mile of bad ground from water but that's usually not a problem.

As to the exact spot, I like it burrowed in brush or timber and cocooned from the elements. With each of the criteria, we probably all flex our standards at times based on the situation, weather, etc.

I like to camp in a saddle or place where I can climb opposite slopes for optimum glassing with the rising sun at my back at dawn and the other slope for optimum glassing light in the evening. We tend to always be on the lookout for good vantage points to glass (and spots to camp/bivvy near them) and tuck them away in memory even if we don't stop to use them right then.

Several times I've bivvied at an ideal spot from which to glass and even to shoot, sometimes from within the sleeping bag. I.e. Sleeping in a small brush clump on the rim of an alpine basin isn't likely to disturb game (depending on its location and wind) and you make no disturbance getting into place before daylight. Sometimes 30 feet down the off side of that basin rim is the place to sleep.

Last edited by Okanagan; 05/29/12.
V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
If I'm not carrying camp with me at the time, then I'm looking for a place that I can find in the dark, in fog or heavy snow as applicable, with no GPS.

IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

712 members (12344mag, 17Hunter, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 153, 73 invisible), 3,016 guests, and 1,362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,978
Posts18,480,823
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.