-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
those compact stocks look just like a remington classic, any idea if the remington classic can be inletted for the winchester??

GB1

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Remington actions have a very different tang angle, and it does not work so well to modify a Remington pattern to fit a M70. I did it once (shown below), but it took more effort than it was worth.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M70...Factory 300WSM.....

[Linked Image]

whistle grin wink cool crazy shocked blush tired sleep

Wipe your mouth, there's still a tiny bit of bullshit around your lips.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Huntr
LH SS Win in 30-06
[Linked Image]

I'll take that one when you are tired of it!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I don't have a set of postal scales...but I have some black plastic garbage bags, and a Tops friendly food market with a wonderfully equipped produce section just down the road grin

Rolling the cart from the parking lot right past the bottle return, I found my bag with it's contents resting neatly upon the digital produce scale. I just happened to have a second bag, for obvious reasons. The total weight of my Win-Tuff laminated FWT stock (minus bag weight) came in at 32.64oz.

Looks like the EDGE will allow me to instantly drop 3/4 lb. smile

Can somebody tell me what the weight difference is between the SA 2 piece bottom metal and that of the PT&G..? Please grin

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by 358wsm

I don't have a set of postal scales...but I have some black plastic garbage bags, and a Tops friendly food market with a wonderfully equipped produce section just down the road grin

Rolling the cart from the parking lot right past the bottle return, I found my bag with it's contents resting neatly upon the digital produce scale. I just happened to have a second bag, for obvious reasons. The total weight of my Win-Tuff laminated FWT stock (minus bag weight) came in at 32.64oz.

Looks like the EDGE will allow me to instantly drop 3/4 lb. smile

Can somebody tell me what the weight difference is between the SA 2 piece bottom metal and that of the PT&G..? Please grin

Now THAT's thinking outside the box!

Buy once, cry once.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
grin

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M70 SS Featherweight 7 WSM (top), SS M70 Classic in 7RM - both in McM Edge.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by bwinters; 05/15/12.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
358WSM, My SA 2 piece bottom metal (SS) weighs 5.5 ounces. I believe the PT&G website quotes 2.75 ounces for their aluminum SA bottom metal set, for a weight savings of 2.75 ounces. I tried for weeks to get a PT&G set. They kept telling me they had it in stock and would ship it "tomorrow". This went on for 3 weeks. I finally said, enough of this BS and ordered a one piece set from Winchester. The Winchester floor plate is stainless and the rest is aluminum. My set-up is only a shade over an ounce heavier than the all aluminum PT&G set. A slightly heavier bird in the hand is better than two (PT&G bottom metal) in the bush.

Last edited by rj308; 05/15/12.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bwinters
M70 SS Featherweight 7 WSM (top), SS M70 Classic in 7RM - both in McM Edge.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Ooohhh..........those are nice!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Can these McM EDG's can also be had in ADL configuration, and further reduce weight..?

And...if so, what is used for a trigger guard.?

Just thinking of that option versus going the PT&G route.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here are a couple of mine. This one is a pre-64 70 FWT in 270 WCF in a Legend pattern stock:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This one is a M70 Classic in 7mm RM also in a Legend pattern stock:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb400/Chetaf/Echols7mm002.jpg[/img]

Chet

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Damn, I may have to get a Legend or two... Nice rig!

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 358wsm
Can these McM EDG's can also be had in ADL configuration, and further reduce weight..?

And...if so, what is used for a trigger guard.?

Just thinking of that option versus going the PT&G route.

Yes, I have done that before. I have a 30-06 Classic Stainless with a McMillan Hunters EDGE with a blind mag. I used the Williams M70 ADL triggerguard. I don't think you save more than an ounce by using the blind mag over the PT&G aluminum bottom metal. The Williams ADL triggerguard is steel and is fairly heavy. You also lose one round with the blind magazine. Mine only holds four rounds.

If I were to do it again, I would go with the PT&G bottom metal or possibly the Echols alloy bottom metal if I had a lot of extra $$$.

Chet

Last edited by Chetaf; 05/16/12.

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I haven't had them in hand but the Williams looks a bit more elegant than the PT&G. I'd like to have the lighter weight aluminum PT&G Oberndorf style but it looks ungainly in photos especially at the front of the trigger guard where the release is. The Williams seems to be sleeker.

Ok Chet.............what's the story on your scope mounts? They look like Echols. I gotta know. Fine rifles.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gabbott
I haven't had them in hand but the Williams looks a bit more elegant than the PT&G. I'd like to have the lighter weight aluminum PT&G Oberndorf style but it looks ungainly in photos especially at the front of the trigger guard where the release is. The Williams seems to be sleeker.

Ok Chet.............what's the story on your scope mounts? They look like Echols. I gotta know. Fine rifles.

They are Echols steel mounts.

Chet

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Chetaf,

Thank you for that information, I found it very helpful.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Chetaf, wow great looking rifles.....nice work. The legend stock sure is a great design.

Last edited by handwerk; 05/18/12.
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
This is a Legend EDGE 7mm Rem. I don't have much to add in terms of the aesthetics discussion, but this gun weighs 8# 1 oz as shown.

[Linked Image]

The barrel contour contributes to the light weight and it balances just right.

[Linked Image]

It did account for a 575 yard kill on a MT whitetailed deer last fall. If I was limited to one big game rifle for NA, it might be this one.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

97 members (7887mm08, 44mc, 308ld, Anaconda, 35, 12 invisible), 1,690 guests, and 840 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,744
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.