Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The last time I bought a gas grill was about 5 years ago, and it was a little over $100 for a basic grill. Nothing fancy, no side burner. I once had a grill with a side burner and never used it -- not once.

Well, last week I had flames shooting out the front of old trusty grill and aluminum dripping onto the patio. Now, we're having company tomorrow night and I need a grill quick. So, we've been shopping for one.

The only basic grill I can find is too small. Everything else has way too many features and is $400 or more. I can't believe people are buying the $900 models. Come on -- these things sit outside!

What do you guys have?
What do you think about the side burners?
What's a good, basic model that is built to last?
Can I get a decent grill with a price limit a little north of $200?

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Webber, big one, expensive
Louisiana pellet stove= expensive

Sorry that doesn't help I get what I want, pay what they want.

Different story when I had kids at home or in College.

Charcoal grills are less expensive to buy cool

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I have had the best luck with Weber gas grills. I must admit though, the last Weber I got was from Lowe's when they offered 0% financing.

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Brinkman charcoal is in your price range. Buy a bag of real chunk charcoal at the same time and you will forever more throw rocks at a gas grill.

I used gas for years and I know all the conveniences of just lighting it and it is ready to go in a minute but I grill because I like the taste and the best taste comes from charcoal.

I know this is not what you asked but it is the best answer I can give you.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
My opinion is that there's a step function when it comes to gas grill pricing: until you spend about $500, you're realistically going to be buying a disposable unit. You could think of gas grills kind of like rifle scopes: You have really cheap throwaway units, then you spend a little money and get something serviceable. A little more money will buy lots more scope (or grill), but then you spend a whole lot of money to get smaller improvements.

Sunbeam = BSA / NC Star
Char Grill = Tasco
Weber = Leupold/Conquest
Viking (and others) = Swaro, S&B, Diavari

I had a Sunbeam that had awful hot spots mingled with areas that were barely lukewarm. The igniters that I kept installing were good for 3 to 5 starts each. The grilling grates would rust through annually, and it went through burner elements about like Rosie O'donnell goes through Twinkies. 'Twas a complete, total, unmitigated, abject POS! Sorry to sugarcoat it: If you're interested in how I really feel, send me a PM... blush

I then acquired a Weber Gas Grill, & it's been spectacular for 8+ years now. Quick starts with the original igniter, a nifty system to catch grease drippings, flare-ups are well controlled by the "flavorizer bars", and the grates last much, much longer, despite seeing far more use than the Sunbeam ever did. The exterior is still in excellent shape, too. The design, materials, and build quality are orders of magnitude better than the $199 grills.

Just like scopes, you'll spend a lot more money to get smaller incremental gains in a grill once you get beyond the Weber level. And you'd really have to wonder if having a stainless steel exterior really helps the food taste any better...

Hope that helps,

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Why can't I find a decent grill that's big enough without a stupid side burner? Are those useless, or what?

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Stainless Brinkman gas model with side burner at Wally yesterday $135.00 and change.

[Linked Image]
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I used the side burner on the Sunbeam for boiling water, back when my I had an electric stove. I also used it to boil wort when I brewed beer - better to keep those smells outside.

Other than that, though, I personally found little use for it.

If you don't have big box stores near you, see if there's an Ace Hardware nearby. Or check with your local propane seller: they'll probably have Ducane grills.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Only time I ever used my side burner was to make coffee and cook on after Katrina....too damn hot to cook in the house, not that it was much better outside.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
My opinion is that there's a step function when it comes to gas grill pricing: until you spend about $500, you're realistically going to be buying a disposable unit. You could think of gas grills kind of like rifle scopes: You have really cheap throwaway units, then you spend a little money and get something serviceable. A little more money will buy lots more scope (or grill), but then you spend a whole lot of money to get smaller improvements.

Sunbeam = BSA / NC Star
Char Grill = Tasco
Weber = Leupold/Conquest
Viking (and others) = Swaro, S&B, Diavari

I had a Sunbeam that had awful hot spots mingled with areas that were barely lukewarm. The igniters that I kept installing were good for 3 to 5 starts each. The grilling grates would rust through annually, and it went through burner elements about like Rosie O'donnell goes through Twinkies. 'Twas a complete, total, unmitigated, abject POS! Sorry to sugarcoat it: If you're interested in how I really feel, send me a PM... blush

I then acquired a Weber Gas Grill, & it's been spectacular for 8+ years now. Quick starts with the original igniter, a nifty system to catch grease drippings, flare-ups are well controlled by the "flavorizer bars", and the grates last much, much longer, despite seeing far more use than the Sunbeam ever did. The exterior is still in excellent shape, too. The design, materials, and build quality are orders of magnitude better than the $199 grills.

Just like scopes, you'll spend a lot more money to get smaller incremental gains in a grill once you get beyond the Weber level. And you'd really have to wonder if having a stainless steel exterior really helps the food taste any better...

Hope that helps,

FC

I had grills(2) above the Weber level(in price only) in the past and honestly, I'd much rather have the Weber. I don't even use a gas grill now. I do most "home" cooking on a Traeger or Weber charcoal grill now. I do have a Green Egg on the way and I'll probably really have all my bases covered.

Weber makes all the gas grill anybody ever needs. They're nice, dependable and easy to service. If I ever buy another gas grill it will be a Weber. You can't buy one for $100, but they are worth the extra coin.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sorry I can't help you, like Scott F I am a charcoal guy myself.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
+1 on the Weber. We've had the Silver B model for probably 10 years now. I've replaced the burners once, and the grates and flavor bars maybe 3 times. The Exterior still looks great. The nice thing about them, is I don't think there are any parts that I need that I can't get at our local Big R store that's just a few miles away.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
In Texas we run a stainless Weber Genesis 310 with no side burner. In Idaho it's the Weber charcoal grill. Dad is still running his 25 year old Weber Genesis. Built to last and inexpensive doesn't exist with grills IME.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My Genesis is going strong at about 12 years old, but, I kick myself all the time for not spending the $80 or whatever it was extra for the side burner model. We would have used that a LOT, if nothing else, for canning in the fall when we don't want to heat the house up with the stovetop. Next grill I buy, will have a side burner.

Nice thing with Weber is you can get parts. I have replaced some stuff on mine, but we do use it a LOT.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
No the side burner is not useless! When the power went out here for an extended time I perked a pot of coffee on it, then made up ham and eggs for our breakfast in a large cast iron skillet. It tasted better too!

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Gave up gas over a decade ago for Webber, charcoal only, never looked back. Now on third Webber, couldn't be happier. Get a chimney charcoal starter from Wally World, and you're all set. Don't forget the mesquite chunks either.

The fundamental difference that makes such a big difference in the food is the indirect cooking in the Webber combined with the fact that there are no flare ups (lid down). I even cook 18 lb. turkeys on it and they are great. Meat is more tender and moist cooked this way, no matter what type.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
Only time I ever used my side burner was to make coffee and cook on after Katrina....too damn hot to cook in the house, not that it was much better outside.

The last gas grill I owned had a side burner and I considered it worthless until Katrina. It was a life saver for 2 weeks following. In fact it never was used until then. It was a Brinkman with a stainless cabinet and top. I could not get get replacement parts for it and it rusted thru real quick on all the non stainless parts.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. - Mark Twain.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by GF1
Gave up gas over a decade ago for Webber, charcoal only, never looked back. Now on third Webber, couldn't be happier. Get a chimney charcoal starter from Wally World, and you're all set. Don't forget the mesquite chunks either.

The fundamental difference that makes such a big difference in the food is the indirect cooking in the Webber combined with the fact that there are no flare ups (lid down). I even cook 18 lb. turkeys on it and they are great. Meat is more tender and moist cooked this way, no matter what type.

What he said.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I will say it again, charcoal is the way to go. If you want a gass burner to go with it get this one. We love t for cooking on hot days when we do not start the wood cook stove and it is the best out there for canning.

[/url]

I like the Lazzari me...Zcharcoal&Category_Code=BBQsup]HERE.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
i bought one of the brinkman models from wally's,lasted 3 yrs.been looking at webers myself,i use the side burner when we do clams,1-2x per summer

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

471 members (06hunter59, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 2ndwind, 1badf350, 257 roberts, 48 invisible), 1,722 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,035
Posts18,520,982
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.