Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Hubert
I know this is a stupid question but why don't you crimp the BP loads. I always did for my 45/70 as well as my 50/70 no matter which powder I was using. I diden't want a bullet coming loose accidently.

Crimp has mostly been shown to be somewhat detremental to accuracy especially using soft bullets. Neck tension to hold the bullet in place either by way of sizing the case or bullet diameter has prooven for the most part to deliver the best results shooting blackpowder.
Many of us that shoot Shiloh rifles don't even resize the cases at all, shooting a 458-459 diameter greasegroove bullet all one needs do is mildly flair the case mouth to accept the bullet base with damage, thumb it into place atop the powder charge , remove the flare and the rounds are good to go, either winning matches or making the oneshot bang flop on game.
Crimp in a paperpatched load can really wreck any chances of accuracy if not carefully applied.Again using neck tension loaded rounds will not come apart even in hunting situations.
Crimp is the offspring of the cannelure on the cases used in the early smokeless days to keep the bullet from settling into the case or compressing the powder. Cannelures are still in use in 38spec target loads.
Hubert you may find the reloading instructions contained in the Sharps,Remington and Winchester catalogs from the 1870's most enlightening if you decide to pursue blackpowder cartridge shooting.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Probably just restating the obvious, but the important point of this thread is that any crimp used with lead BPCR bullets should be minimal, just enough to keep things together or permit smooth chambering - no more.

It is nothing like the crimps used with pistol or lever action rounds.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I am considering getting a sharps but don't know if I want one for metal cartridges, or if I want the ones that shoot the paper cartridges. I think the paper cartridge one would be more fun.. anyone use the paper cartridge ones?? advice? grin

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
You might want to post your question as a separate thread, since this one is about loading dies, i.e., brass cartridges.

I don't know anything about paper cartridges.

Also, you might want to check out the Shiloh forum. Much more comprehensive info than what is available here. They might even have a section dedicated to such rifles. I don't know off hand.

Edit: Yep, here ya go http://www.shilohrifle.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=8

Paul

Last edited by Paul39; 05/19/12.

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (1minute, 260madman, 2500HD, 1badf350, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 63 invisible), 2,350 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,171
Posts18,503,187
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.