-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Just got my first AR ( MP 15 Sport) and removed the bolt group, etc., and gave it a quick once over to remove factory gook. Cycled it a few times and all was well

Took it to the range this morning and all I got was "clicks." Removed the mag several times checking for any issues with the lips, etc. Bottom line is there is a live round stuck in there (after a "click")and the bolt group is locked up tight.

Whazzup with that? Probably screwed something up but am concerned about how to get this apart. Very few AR smiths in the part of the country.And,of course, I can't send it back to Smith and Wesson with a live round in it.

Any ideas appreciated.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubt" Bertrand Russell

GB1

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Only had my Sport a short time so can't help with the clicks. What kind of ammo are you using? That could be a factor.

As to the stuck round, put the stock in the shortest position and with muzzle away from anything important, such as your head, pull back on the charging handle as you pound the butt onto the ground, workbench, etc. It's worked for me and I understand that's what the Marines are taught.

Hope this helps.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Make sure the safety is on. Then pointing the barrel straight up, pull on the T-handle and bang the rifle on its butt, still aiming straight up.

Let's get the cartridge out first and worry about what happened after it's out.

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Thanks, I'll give that a careful try. Was using UMC 55gr. fmj to "break it in" so doubt it was ammo-related.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubt" Bertrand Russell

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Worked great!!

Think I have the original problem diagnosed. Unfortunately I won't be able to get back to the range for two weeks. Drat.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Borealis Bob
Worked great!!

Think I have the original problem diagnosed. Unfortunately I won't be able to get back to the range for two weeks. Drat.

Care to share?

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Borealis Bob
Worked great!!

I'm glad you got the live cartridge out. Now, you didn't mess with the forward assist button, did you?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
forget to put the pin back in?

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
A dumb rookie mistake in reassemling it after cleaning. I thought the trigger block was in the proper position, apparently not. Did a test shot in the basement using quickly assembled "baffles" and it works fine now.

Also, this being my first AR I wasn't sure what was to be included until the day I took it to the range. Got a 20rd mag instead of a 30 (as per S&W website) no front sight tool, and no "trap door" for the buttstock which I assumed should be there. I've emailed the dealer on this, wondering if I got a returned rifle by mistake.

Thanks for the help guys.

Last edited by Borealis Bob; 05/21/12.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
You may want to look up the term "function check" as to how it relates to the AR15. It comes in handy to make sure reassembly is correct so the rifle functions. I'm assuming when you say trigger block that you mean the safety/selector lever?

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1OntarioJim, 1lessdog, 160user, 007FJ, 67 invisible), 2,442 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,153
Posts18,484,272
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.