Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I appreciate the opportunity to ask this question here.
I�ve had a Ruger 77, in .338 for 25+ years. I topped it with a Leupold VariX III, 2.5 to 8 scope. Both rifle and scope have served me well on many hunts over this time.
I have a grizzly hunt planned in Alaska this fall.
I got complete confidence in the rifle, but when I think about the scope and the many heavy loads through it over the years, I wonder if it is time to top it with a new scope.
Here is my question.
What new variable power scopes should I consider for this .338?
Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd stick with the same make and model. It works, you know it inside and out, and its one of the best available. I suggest you get another set of rings for the new scope, same height as the old ones, and leave the old one in the original set all sighted in. After sighting in the new scope, put the old one back on the rifle and go hunting. Take both on your trip and leave the new one in your pack as a backup in case the old one breaks. The old one has a proven track record and should not give cause for worry. That's how I would do it since you asked.

Have a great time on your hunt, and please report back here with pictures and a story if you will. Everyone would love to read it and see the pics.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I mounted a Leupold 1.75-6 x 32 VX-III with heavy duplex reticle on my 338, and I've been very pleased with it.

TT

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Replace it with the same scope. A new 2.5-8x36 VX3.

No reason for any change.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
Replace it with the same scope. A new 2.5-8x36 VX3.

No reason for any change.

+1. The 2.5-8 is my favorite and one has been on my .338 for many years. I have zero complaints about it.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No need to change, if that scope has not given up the ghost or has given you any trouble the last 25 years, then its not on your up coming hunt, its proven. A new scope even the same one you have now, would be unproven till you have shot with it awhile. Buy another for a spare and rings for it, if it will give you some peace of mind.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Still got the same Vari X 3 2.5 x 8 on my 7mm Rem Mag that I put there in 1977, what was it that I'm supposed to worry about? Big Red gave the best advice if what you want is insurance and then when you get home you got an excuse to buy another gun cause you have a scope laying around needing to be used ,right?Magnum Man

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got that very same combination on my SAKO 338 and wouldn't change for anything else. IMO you already have the perfect combo albeit you may opt for a newer updated version

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
WO-

If the scope has worked for that long, I'd say it's a trusty one. The 2.5x8 Varix, VXIII, VX3 is, without question, my favorite scope - perfect blend of X-range, decent optics and compactedness.

You will indeed notice an increase in clarity with the newest VX3 version and a more neutral color vs. the likely warmer image you have now. If you get a new VX3, put a slew of rounds for it before you depart. (you already knew to do that anyway grin)

You might check with your guide to see what type of low-light situation you could find yourself in. A couple of years ago on a fall hunt in AK, my guide forewarned about very last light during the hunt. I used a Trjicon (dot with crosshairs) for that particular hunt and I'm quite glad I did - all I could see when I settled the hairs against the extremely dark hide at VERY last light was the tritium dot. No crosshairs to be found in the site picture. shocked

Last edited by SKane; 05/22/12. Reason: Just realized this post was in the gunwriters forum and not the optics forum - I'm not a gunwriter and won't even pretend to play one on the internet. My apologies. :)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Your scope has a definitely reliable track-run! And my experience is that Leupolds of that era were quite tough.

On the other hand, your scope has had a bunch of rounds fired under it. You might consider sending it back to Leupold for a check-up, and also purchasing a new back-up 2.5-8x. Put it in the same type of rings and make sure it works, then put Old Reliable on the rifle and take both.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I have tried a lot of scopes from El Paso Weavers to Leupie LPSs on the more than a dozen .338WM rifles I have owned in the past 44+ years. Most of them worked just fine, but, one in particular has become a favourite for this particular use and it is the Leupy 1.75x6 Heavy Duplex, most of mine are the longer bodied type.

When, I had my fine Dakota 76 in .338WM customized by the outstanding gunmaker, Ralf Martini, about two years ago, I decided to also install the best scope on it that money could buy and after a lot of testing and checking, I went back to the Leupy....the 2.5x8 would be as good, but, I like the sight picture of the HD and sometimes can even hit what I aim at using it.

I would love a modern version of the old B&L 2.5x5 two position variable if it was made with a 36mm objective and internal adjustments to the quality level of the Leicas or Zeiss hunting scopes. THAT, would be about all she wrote, IMHO.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have over 12 years with my .338 Win Mag and I too have used a Vari-X III 2.5-8. I had the heavy duplex installed on mine. I agree with Mule Deer. I would send it back for a check up and buy a new VX III 2.5-8 as a back up.

PASS IT ON!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Your scope has a definitely reliable track-run! And my experience is that Leupolds of that era were quite tough.

On the other hand, your scope has had a bunch of rounds fired under it. You might consider sending it back to Leupold for a check-up, and also purchasing a new back-up 2.5-8x. Put it in the same type of rings and make sure it works, then put Old Reliable on the rifle and take both.

Sounds vaguely familiar... wink

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Seems that pair gets along just fine, I wouldnt disturb them.

Gunner

Trump Won!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (808outdoors, 2500HD, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, BALLISTIK, 10 invisible), 1,380 guests, and 789 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,502
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.