Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Big Stick, and others,
<br> What's a good saw for someone who needs one for relative light duty? My friend has an o66, that's probably more than I need. I don't want a cheap one, but a good quality one that is under $400. Any suggestions? thanks for any help,,,,,BH

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My Dad has a Stihl that he likes and before that had a little Homelite. Now these are for cutting a little firewood and trees out of the yard or off the fence type saws not neccessarily one to use every day!
<br>
<br>Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If it isn't a Husky,I can't use it. Stay at 60cc or better,buy used if forced,to keep within your budget................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
BearHunter- My vote goes to the Stihl 029 Farm Boss with a 20" bar. I've had it for years and its still going. Cranks every time. Bob

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My stepdad owns a tree service. He can, and has tried every brand of saw on the market. His prefered choice of chainsaw is Stihl, they make a good saw!

Walk softly and carry a big bore!
IC B2

The best one I have ever used was, the neighbors or a friends...keeps matience pretty low:D...oops seems theres something wrong with "YOUR" saw......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Stihl.

220 Swift still king.
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Thanks for the replies guys,
<br> I was thinking Stihl or husquvarna all the way. I've heard great things about both, and of the people I know who depend on them to make a living I get mixed reviews. Some swear by husky's others wouldn't own anything other than a stihl. Seems either of the two would serve me pretty well.
<br> I'm just going to use it for general work around the yard, Cutting some firewood, and the occasional maple tree.,,,,BH

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've run a chainsaw as my livelyhood,for the last 17yrs. For a large percentage,of many of those years,I was in remote Logging Camps with zero parts availability(excepting a phone call and a long wait on the mail to arrive from DownSouth). So dependability,durability and reliability,is a concern of mine. Of course actual performance,is weighed heavily too.
<br>
<br>My perception,is likely different than most,but this is what I see. Guys who want to save a few bucks,by a Stihl. Guys who want the best of what is available,run Husky.
<br>
<br>I'm not going to get into a long drawn out,hair pullin' contest and debate merits and shortcomings. Bottom line is simple. A Husky will smoke the doors off a Stihl(assuming same cubes,in each) and live longer with less repairs,while doing it. Should you wish to run a hot saw(tweaked/tuned,to really let her breathe),the gap is even wider,though I doubt that is a concern of yours.
<br>
<br>Stihl makes a fair tool. But why settle for good,when you can have great? Buy the best and cry once.
<br>
<br>Like anything else,your mileage mayl vary...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
It was interesting reading the reply's to your question. I've used all the saw's mentioned and don't argue their merit. If you want a light duty saw; elk camp and pruning around the yard; look at the saws made on the american standard, not metric. It's darn handy to go to a local store and buy the screw or bolt that fits. My crummy little Mac 10-10 ran better than 25 years. I only cut 20 to 30 cord a year. It WAS NOT the greatest power going, but it was reliable and easy to find parts for when I needed too. Just a thought. Oh, at least get a 24" bar and if your cutting dead wood don't get a skip chain. I've got to buy a saw this year and it will be between a 3 to 4 inch motor with a 24" to 26" bar. Luck.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have had excellent service from my Stihl. She fires up every year and runs like a raped ape. I change the plug and clean the air filter at the beginning of every season. Other than sharpening the chains, I have had no maintenance problems whatsoever. Good luck
<br>Keeb

Don't criticize someone until you have walked a mile in their shoes. That way, your a mile away and you have their shoes.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Bearhunter: I've used Stihl, currently run a Husky and it has been very dependable. Be sure to buy one that is big enough to run a fairly long bar on (say 26" minimum) if you want to avoid a whole lot of back strain from bending while limbing etc. . I only put a shorter bar and chain on when space to carry is restricted otherwise the longer bar is a fixture. cheers.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Electrolux owns most chainsaw companies except Stihl.I still have my Husky 380,starts second pull evertime.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Well I have an old Craftsman 14" bought second hand about 20 years ago and it is still going strong, I don't use it a lot and have only broken one thing on it and that was the pull rope. I believe they were made by Poulan for them. Now it has been good for most things like small trees and delimbing and around camp, but I imagine it may not be the one for heavier use or if you really had to depend on it in a bad situation, but for average use it has done well.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bear, after working with Homelite, McCollough, Jonsereds, Stihl, Shindawa, and a smattering of others over the years, it's Husky or nothing for me. Used is better than none, especially if you work the yard sales and can get a feel for the previous owner. The Husky is that much better.
<br>
<br>I've always used the Husky brand oil and bar oil in mine, too. I clean at the end of the day and sharpen a lot -- several times per day. Nothing is worse than a dull chainsaw.
<br>
<br>I haven't cut wood in 6 months, but if I lost my Husky I'd get another tomorrow.
<br>
<br>Oh, yeah. It's a good practice to run the fuel out of the carb when storing. Just empty the tank and run the saw until she runs dry. This will save you much headache. Or else run the saw every couple of weeks. And use fresh fuel mix. When mine gets old I mix it into the lawnmower fuel and he ol' mower never knows the dif.
<br>
<br>Happy buzzin, Jeff

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
BEARHUNTER, buddy where you been hidin, When I was in the Christmas tree contract cutting business I destroyed two Stihls in two years. I then bought a Husky 44 and cut for six more years until I quit the business. That 44 still will start on the fifth pull, three choke two off choke every time even after sitting for months. I still have that trailor to get rid of.
<br>
<br>Bullwnkl.

Money talks Bull [bleep] walks
Business as usual
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
It's done been said, Husky I am a relatively light user and had used an old Stihl that was damn near unbreakable until it did, so I decided to go out and get a new saw, compared the 2 and the husky 49 got the nod and I love it, no problems at all. gabe

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Put me down for another Husky/Jonsereds(grin...thanks Stick for enlightening me on the JohnyRuds). Don't mess with the short bar either, your back and your shins will teach you the short comings of a short bar. Short bars are MORE dangerous, more work and offer nothing! Get at least a 24" bar. Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (1badf350, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 160user, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 49 invisible), 2,392 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,338
Posts18,526,811
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.