Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Anybody hunt Himalayan snowcocks in Nevada? I know that licenses are available, but I have never seen any discussion on exactly how snowcocks are hunted. Are they shot on the wing, like a pheasant? Or on the ground like a turkey? Do you flush them with a dog, or just walk them up?

Anyone know?

GB1

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Never hunted them..but one guy I knew went for these...had bird dogs, so I am sure HE shot them flying..but as I remember the elevation of the hunt was above timber line..a trophy bird to besure..

Molon Labe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've hunted them, but we were unsuccessful on the trip I was on, but did see birds each day. We only hunted one weekend and IIRC the 3 day upland license was $52. We hiked up from a main road and spike camped near the top. It was a long, straight up climb to get to that spot.

The pard I went with has killed 4. He's shot some on the wing and some on the ground. I would take any reasonable shot they offered that would allow for a recovery. They like to bail off cliff faces, so shooting one and recovering it can be two different stories. He has a very good dog, but has never taken it for fear of losing it over a cliff. The terrain and hunt is more akin to hunting mtn goats then birds. In fact, we were a couple of hundred feet above moutain goats and were over 11K feet each day!

I don't have any pictures at hand of the hunt I was on, but here are a couple of his birds at the taxidermist.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Never hunted 'em, usually see several each year while goat hunting, in 10 yrs I've been close enough to shoot' em maybe 5 times. I'd shoot given any opportunity, flying, walking, sleeping.

Heard of one guy who finds where they roost and conceals himself, let's 'em come to him.

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ploughman
Anybody hunt Himalayan snowcocks in Nevada? I know that licenses are available, but I have never seen any discussion on exactly how snowcocks are hunted. Are they shot on the wing, like a pheasant? Or on the ground like a turkey? Do you flush them with a dog, or just walk them up?

Yes...Kill them any way you can if given an opportunity. I fell off the face above Lamiole Lake in NE NV going after them. They won. smirk

Thank God I'm too old to keep trying now. grin

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sometimes you can hear 'em calling and glass 'em up and stalk, but they do walk faster than I can.

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (7mm_Loco, 338Rules, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 35, 375sunrise, 12 invisible), 1,461 guests, and 766 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,082
Posts18,501,654
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.