Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#6528946 05/22/12
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Will be selling my Kawasaki 750i only because my wrists and hands need the help of power steering.

Looking at Honda and Can Am. Thinking something around 500 CC, not sure if I want to continue with the Kevlar Belt drive which makes my think maybe Honda. Checked the Kawasaki but power steering is only in the 750 models, big $$ and power I have no need for, along with the Kevlar belt.

Looking for opinions.

Jim
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In power steer models, I've only run the new EFI Rancher and Grizzly (450 carbed). I hear you on the wrists thing; power steering is great. I'll probably never buy another new rig without it. I've used the Yamaha much more, but the PS seems to work well on the Honda as well.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My next machine will have the power steering, wish I had it on my Foreman.

IMO, you cannot go wrong with either the Yamaha or the Honda but personally, I am not a fan of belt driven wheelers.

Another thing to consider is EFI, I know the Honda offers it and i'm pretty sure the Yamaha does too. Our Rancher has it and it fires up everytime, even when it was -15 outside. My Foreman is a carbed model and so far I haven't had any issues in 8 years of ownership but I like the way the EFI works on the Rancher and our snowmachines.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
In power steer models, I've only run the new EFI Rancher and Grizzly (450 carbed). I hear you on the wrists thing; power steering is great. I'll probably never buy another new rig without it. I've used the Yamaha much more, but the PS seems to work well on the Honda as well.

Yep, was out a few days back on the Kawasaki and the carpel tunnel issues really flared up. Made up my mind then and there, new rig, power steering for sure.

I use the machine for back country hunting as well as cutting wood, and general cleanup with small utility trailer. Many times I am in steep, tight places and wonder if the Forman's first gear is low enough? Thoughts?

Jim
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You won't find any machine out there in stock form that has a lower 1st gear than the Foreman. It's so low in fact I always start off in 2nd gear. It's basically a tractor in 1st gear.

Steelhead

IC B2

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
You won't find any machine out there in stock form that has a lower 1st gear than the Foreman. It's so low in fact I always start off in 2nd gear. It's basically a tractor in 1st gear.

That is what I am looking for. Any other things you can share? What do you think about the 500cc single cylinder over the small twins? Fuel usage?

Jim
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've got the 450 Foreman, not the 500. If you want to learn about the 500, these 3 websites will give you all the info you need. I go there often when I need to do some maintenance on my machine or just to learn about new accessories.

http://www.hondaforeman.com/index.php

http://www.hondaatvforums.net/

http://www.highlifter.com/forum/

Steelhead

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

Up the left side, over the top, and back around to get the meat back to the boat; about 2 miles. The Foreman (in the background) had the heavier load. He did most of the pulling (the sled barely visible) in 2nd gear; that Honda has pretty low miles - in the 9s somewhere- but it's all been hunting/tundra work in the two lower gears.

[Linked Image]

My partner is pictured at around 280. That bull was easily on the high side of 1500.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

It's a deep gear for sure. I keep it in first to let my son drive because I can walk along next to him and help if he needs it.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by JBoutfishn

That is what I am looking for. Any other things you can share? What do you think about the 500cc single cylinder over the small twins? Fuel usage?

If that is the type of machine you're looking for you can't get better than the Foreman IMO. The newer 500's have plenty of pulling power. I've driven a Foreman with EPS and it made me want a new one. I still don't have a new one, but I still want one. grin

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If they would offer the Foreman with IRS AND power steering with the same gearing, i'd buy one today.

Steelhead

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Well, I had the opportunity to inspect a Can AM 500 with a Honda Foreman. Unless one is hung on a 5 speed gearbox, there is no comparison. From the controls, suspension, brakes, even the seat, pretty sure I will go with the Can Am.

Let the flames begin grin

Jim
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have'nt honostly heard anything bad about the Can Am machines but with the history of Honda atv's and there reliability over the years, there just kinda hard to beat! The amenities may seem better but my concern would be hows it gonna be treating ya in say
7,8, or 10 years from now? maybe the Can Am's are THAT good... but I doubt it, lol. Figured I'd start the chop bustin, sorry man!

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Hey, no problem. grin I did forget one thing, whatever I get must push a snow plow! Does that change anything?

Jim
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gen. One frames on the can-ams had frames cracking now they are cracking on the newer gen two frames. So yeah can-ams do things hondas dot LOL

If you drive to chattanooga, the. Largest Honda atv dealer in the US, will sell you a new 2012 foreman 4wd with power steering for 6300$. I think the comparable can-am is a fair bit more. I know people have come from Wisconsin just to buy a quad there. No sales tax either if you are out of state.

How much is the can am?

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Unless one is hung on a 5 speed gearbox, there is no comparison. From the controls, suspension, brakes, even the seat, pretty sure I will go with the Can Am.

No flames from me. I like the can am's.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Harness that much power into a chassis that small, something has to give.

And to be fair, the guys that are cracking frames are admitting to jumping 900lb machines like its a 300lb sport bike......

There is truly NO comparison in any Honda, to even the smaller Can Am's. Ride, power, creature comforts. Not to mention, you can stop a Can Am three days after you ride it off the lot. How many Honda's can say that................(GRIN)

Originally Posted by Someone
Why pack all that messy meat out of the bush when we can just go to the grocery store where meat is made? Hell,if they sold antlers I would save so much money I could afford to go Dolphin fishing. Maybe even a baby seal safari.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Holy crap, that one dude from that forum paid $16k for his Can-Am, that's crazy expensive. One could buy a hell of nice side by side for less money.

Steelhead

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Or a jeep or a bronco....That is why I don't have a can-am. I like them but not that much. wink

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (10ring1, 1badf350, 12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 16penny, 58 invisible), 2,417 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,984
Posts18,499,786
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.