Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I am looking at booking a hunt with High Adventure Air. Has anybody had any experience with them for Brown bears? I met one of their guides while hunting in Kansas, and he was a hell of a good guy, just wondering what you guys think. Also, if you have any more recommendations feel free to post here or PM me. I am a teacher, so it would need to be an October hunt.
Thanks
Eli

GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
If I may suggest look up Lake country Lodge in port alsworth, Alaska and look at Jeremy Davis. Owner/operator/registerd guide/and a hell of a pilot. He is also part owner and guide with Canoe Bay Outfitters on the Alaska Penninsula. Great family man, honest and fantastic pilot. Call and talk to him...and tell him one of his old assistant guides by the name of Glen says hello! You have many options out there but to be perfectly honest you will not go wrong here!!! Good luck and feel free to ask questions. http://s1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj537/alaskanbuilt/?albumview=slideshow

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I would take a look at Jake Jefferson or Phil Shoemaker both of them have great reputations and live and guide in Alaska all year.

"RLTW"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Take a look at the original poster's link to the guide he was asking about... The site is very honest in listing bear sizes and they are not monsters... Hunting the areas where there are frequent monsers costs significantly more...

Nothing taken away from the other suggestions, just the price difference due to the trophy quality...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks for the suggestions guys, but I am not all that concerned about taking a monster bear. I just want a good hunt, and to see a few bears.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If you are just after the experience of seeing bears then go for it. The bears you will be hunting are going to be sows and young boars.

If you are serious about going with this guide outfit(or any other) I would ask them for references from both successful and unsuccessful clients for the past 5 years. Contacting clients that have hunted with them and got bears and did not get bears will give you a better understanding of what you could potentially encounter with this guide outfit. If you only speak with hunters that were successful you will get a biased answer for the most part.

"RLTW"
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Greg and Mark are very decent fellas. They have been doing this for a long time (thirty years at least.) Their flight safety record is as good as it gets. I have flown with them (actually spent $'s with them) and have nothing but good to say about their professionalism, straight-forwardness, and their attention to detail.

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
http://www.idohuntak.com/

Nothing fancy, but great people and excellent success rate.

laissez les bons temps rouler
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Ok fellows
I know we talked about this before but with my school schedule changing fall break to late October I am going to need to find an outfitter that takes hunts in June. There are several on the web, but I am looking for first hand experience. I have heard a lot of good stuff about Jake Jefferson, but I see he is know longer in business. Anybody else? Any thoughts on Wayne Kubat?
Thanks in advance
Eli

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A June hunt is going to limit you to one of the areas of the state where they have extended the season to reduce bear populations in order to, hopefully, improve moose poulations.
One thing you will need to consider is that the areas where you can hunt in June are quite wooded and the bears are difficult to hunt during regular seasons, when their hides are at their best. I don't know what the success rate in those areas is but do know you run a high chance of getting a badly rubbed hide on a small bear.

As for Wayne Kubat, I worked with him one season thirty years ago and see him from time to time. I have always considered him an honest and hard working guide.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks Mr. Shoemaker.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 458Win
I don't know what the success rate in those areas is but do know you run a high chance of getting a badly rubbed hide on a small bear.

But, a 'nice, even rub' would be nice. wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I have never bear hunted with Butch but have bird hunted and fished with him at Wildman Lake Lodge. Some of you locals may know more about his hunting than I do. Check out his web pages.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks for all of the information. Any thoughts on Pioneer Outfitters?

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Scott Newman and Johnnie Laird are both excellent. *I did not see your June time constraints though.

Last edited by ursus148; 04/11/13.

CrossHair Consulting
www.crosshairconsulting.com
406-439-8512
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There are a lot of very good, reliable outfitters in Alaska but very few operate in the areas where you can hunt brown/grizzly bears in June.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Jake Jefferson of Black River is no longer guiding?

What happened?

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I'm not sure what happened. I had just heard that he was no longer in the business. On the outfitter note..... As I was looking at the calender I will have a total of 16 days off in October does that open up anymore outfitters? (Oct. 5-20) Thanks for the help guys!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't know about opening up. I know the bears have gone, or are going 'nite-nite' by then in many parts.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
I think Jake got a "real" job. wink

That's sarcasm, ah say sarcasm, son!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

694 members (007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1eyedmule, 160user, 70 invisible), 3,226 guests, and 1,331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,105
Posts18,483,265
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.