Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Andre123
I have been doing some reading in order to buy my first rifle. But I want to buy so that I can expand my collection without buying rifles that will duplicate each others purpose.

The 3 calibers that make the most sense to me is
.264 Shooting 140grain
.284 Shooting 160grain
.338 Shooting 200/225/250grain as needed

They are all calibers that have a wide variety of bullet weights in factory loaded ammunition.

They have the highest sectional density available in factory loaded ammunition.

After some consideration I think I have narrowed my choices to
1) .264/6.5mm such as 6.5x55 SE, .260 Rem, 6.5 Creedmoor. in a 22" barrel rifle of about 7 pound.

2) 7mm Rem Mag for the longer work

3) .338 win mag for the really big stuff. (.338RCM if the win mag kicks too hard)

I don't see how that does not cover the whole spectrum of hunting worldwide. For everything other than Elephant, Rhino, Buffalo etc. But I don't plan on hunting that. If I was, I would add a .375 and .458 to the list.

I know you can get heavy for .270 and .308(the whole family) bullets. But then you have to hand load. And even then there are still bullets available with higher sectional densities in the above mentioned three calibers.

So why the massive popularity of .270 and .308(the whole family) calibers?

Oh yes... I have not taken varminting into account. That is another topic on its own I think...

"So why the massive popularity of .270 and .308(the whole family) calibers?"

The popularity of the .308 caliber is due to the fact that:
1) the US adopted this caliber in 1894 ((30-40 Krag), in 1903 (30-03), 1906 (30-06) and, 1954 (7.62X51mm NATO). Each have proven excellent for military and hunting use.
2) the US has been involved in numerous international conflicts over the past 120 years with .308 caliber cartridges and that familiarity has rubbed off on others.
3) hunting in the US is widely accepted and popular with a large variety of game animals; the 30 calibers are well suited for this activity.
4) US hunters have widely hunted around the world and frequently take their 30 caliber rifles with them; the caliber has been accepted by many around the world.

The 270 caliber is popular since it is flat shooting and ideal for mountain and light game hunting hunting where shots can be taken at long range. Also, Jack O'Connor popularized this cartridge in his Outdoor Life columns and it was picked up by many.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sorry Andre, I took the bait but I've thrown the hook.

Alan

Food is at the core of Hunting and Fishing - Rebecca Gray

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I know you can get heavy for .270 and .308(the whole family) bullets. But then you have to hand load. And even then there are still bullets available with higher sectional densities in the above mentioned three calibers.
From this I assume that you won't be hand loading. I have no idea what calibers are popular in South Africa, but the ones you choose aren't highly popular in the US and ammo can be hard to find in smaller stores. The .270 and .308 calibers are and ammo is readily available anywhere. The prices on popular calibers are lower, too, because their sales volumes are much higher.

For a 1st rifle, don't worry so much about the physics of ballistics. The popular calibers are popular for a reason - they've been found to work. Millions of hunters worldwide have no idea what sectional density or ballistic coefficients are yet they're highly effective hunters. They carry calibers that are popular and with readily available ammo and they take lots of game with them.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CCCC
Ramblin Razorback: Speer makes a 90 gr .264" bullet. I'm not sure that 5 grains less gets you a lot more flexibility, particularly when .264" bullets are available with much better ballistic coefficients and much better sectional densities than the range of .257" bullets that are available. The .25-caliber rounds are nostalgic for a lot of Americans, but for medium to large game, the 6.5mm cartridges equal, and in some situations exceed, their .25-caliber counterparts.

Exceed? Maybe yes. But, under what specific conditions and at what other cost. I was referring to the normalities.

No argument what you say about availability, but nostalgia has nothing to do with it for me. It has to do with flexibility, and experience. Your position seems dependent on variables not controlled in the factory rifles bought by most.

For example - you can purchase a 90 grain bullet in .264, but have you actually tried that weight/length in a .264 barrel set up for 140 grain and/or 160 grain bullets - and compared that performance (stability/accuracy) to how a 90 or 85 grain works in the usual .25 bore? Try it !! Availability of bullet weights is one factor - design of barrel and related dia./length issues are another. As I said - no perfect answer - but I go with the ballistic favorabilities.

You're right if you want a varmint rifle that also works for small to medium "big game." I'll admit, I don't know about the opportunities to shoot really small varmints (prairie dog and ground hog size) in South Africa. The varmint hunting I've read about occurring in Africa has been larger varmints, and I suspect whatever centerfire one had would work fine for the varmint hunting in South Africa.

Last edited by Ramblin_Razorback; 05/24/12.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
If this is a first rifle, then one of the major considerations will be the availability of ammo. You NEED TO PRACTICE LOTS!!! So buy a rifle that fits you, fits the game you will be shooting and one in a chambering which has a ready supply of reasonably priced ammo. The best rifle in the "ultimate do everything" chambering is worthless unless you can keep the pig fed.

Sectional densities, ballistic coefficients, and bullet weights are all fun diversions, but if you are not reloading, then AVAILABLE FACTORY AMMO is a key to becoming an effective shooter.

Last edited by the_shootist; 05/24/12. Reason: spelling

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

For a 1st rifle, don't worry so much about the physics of ballistics. The popular calibers are popular for a reason - they've been found to work. Millions of hunters worldwide have no idea what sectional density or ballistic coefficients are yet they're highly effective hunters. They carry calibers that are popular and with readily available ammo and they take lots of game with them.

Well said, RC!

Andre, I can appreciate your conundrum, what with the legislative restrictions on firearms in SA. You've done the basic "theoretical" research and I really can't argue with that... a number of years ago I was searching for the "right" caliber for my youngest daughter's first centerfire rifle, and came up with the same conclusion, i.e., that a 6.5mm rifle would be an ideal starter caliber. As it happens, though, she ended up adopting one of my .308's and has never looked back. She's not interested in theoretical advantages, she just puts bullets where they need to go and game on the hoof becomes meat in the freezer.

Nonetheless I think you'd not be hard done by if you followed RC's advice (and that of many others here) and buy a popular caliber in the .30 caliber range. You can find .30-06 ammo almost anywhere in the world (and .308 ammo even more easily) and with it you can take any game you care to, barring the big stuff with really large teeth, and in a pinch, you could probably take those as well.

Now, speaking to your choices from my personal experience actually shooting the calibers you've named... Personally, I think the .338 caliber could be an ideal first and only rifle, if you can shoot it well. Most people buy a .338 Win Mag and discover that its recoil is very nasty, and as a result they can't shoot it worth a damn. I've seen a lot of people miss a lot of game with that caliber. I would never recommend a .338 Mag as a first hunting rifle. A .338-06 might serve, but I suspect ammunition will be hard to find in SA unless you can handload.

I have a .338 Mag and it's a lovely shooter, but I don't enjoy shooting it. I can shoot it reasonably well but I had a lot of experience shooting and hunting with game rifles before I "graduated" to a .338. On the other hand, I have a 6.5x55 Swede that I can shoot for scores of rounds in a single session quite happily (my son's first centerfire rifle was a sporterized 6.5x55mm Swede, and on his first range session at 12 years old he put almost 80 rounds through it, and would have shot more if I'd had any more ammunition for him to put downrange!).

You have dismissed the .375 caliber, which I think is a rookie mistake, if you'll forgive me saying so. If I could only have one rifle of .30 caliber or higher, I'd take a .375. My .375's (H&H and Ruger) are milder recoiling than a .338 Win Mag, and they put animals down with real authority. Given your country's firearms restrictions, I'd look at a .26 or .28 caliber as your light rifle, a .375 as your heavy, and then find a fine 12gauge double shotgun and a 9mm pistol to round out my 4-gun arsenal. But that's just me.

It's exciting to contemplate purchasing your first car/bike/rifle. Have fun with it and let us know what you end up with. Better yet, post pics of your successful hunts on the appropriate forums when the time comes.

Last edited by DocRocket; 05/24/12.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Well, what if you are out in the boonies hunting. Then somehow you loose your ammo. All your hunting buddies have 30-06's, 308's and such. You can't borrow their ammo. Also, the professional hunters recommend 30-06 as minimum with 375 HH as large. Covers everything. Leaves good blood trails. Ammo is everywhere, even in remote store shelves.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Andre I think you got it dead right on all counts. I have a 270 and a 260 among others and if I started over with intent of (crossing myself three times and spitting twice before saying it) a single rifle - I would get a 260 and be done. I will say that 150 grain 270 rounds don't seem to be that hard to find these days - and as others probably pointed out- monometal bullets kind of negate some of the need for high SD.

Those Sauer are magnificent, just gorgeous dream rifle. If they are SO pricey and it might be a long while before you could afford another a 6.5 of some type is a great choice -especially if you can reload as there are tons of bullet weights available which means you can cover s broad spectrum of targets. Don't discount the CZ 550 as a possbility. That is what I got my Dad in 6.5x55- he never looks at his 7 mag any more.

A best trio of guns has been discussed plenty. A 22 hornet, 260rem and 338 of some flavor might cover things pretty well here- though not what I might pick and if brought up again there would be twenty pages of posts po'd I didn't include a 223...or a 30-06...or a 308

For your first- get a 6.5 learn it inside and out, and load for it if you can. It won't beat you up and will give you the chance to start on smaller game and work up with confidence and without a flinch. Whatever you ...for GOD's sake - don't ask what scope for it here! lol

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
@crossfireloops

Well here in South Africa getting a rifle is a big deal "Legally". So doing your research is very important.

You have to get a licence for each firearm you own. And for each licence your home has to be inspected. And so does your safe... Its a real hassle.....
What a bunch of red-tape BS... Funny a colostomy's not part of it.. mad

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I guess I'd be considering what ammo I can find where you live on a consistent daily basis and making my move from there. Many rounds will do one just fine, so I'd worry less about that than what rounds I can find. Unless you're a reloader but I would imagine that'd not work out real well considering where you live.

So, what rounds can you actually walk in and buy on any given day? I'd spect that some of the rounds on your list would be very tough to find. And some of them are very tough to find here in the States...

Where do you really live?

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
To get a .287 SD on a .308 bullet yo would have to go to a 220gr bullet...

check your math, Andre. a 200 gr .308 bullet has a SD of .301 while the 220 gr is around .33. closer to your math is a 180 gr bullet.

The way life should be.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
So why the massive popularity of .270 and .308(the whole family) calibers?

they are popular because they have worked in the past and continue to work today. a 150gr partition out of a 270 win has and will continue to take everything north america has to offer. same is true for the 308 and 30-06 shooting a quality 150, 165, or 180 gr bullet. sd and bc meant something in years past, but with today's bullets, neither is worth a second thought if you are shooting at reasonable ranges.

270/308 might be boring, and old, but there is no doubt they work, and work well.

good luck with what ever you select.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Get a quarterbore, they will do everything you need in North America except Big Bears. prairie dogs love the 75 gr vmax's and elk dig the 115 grain tsx out of my 25-06. cool 27's and 30's are just fads!

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
When I was 16 (in 1974) I saved up enough to buy my first rifle and was torn between all the different chamberings. One of my high school teachers and football coaches was an avid hunter and I stopped by his house to seek his advice one day after school.

He took me to a storage building behind his house, opened a foot locker full of military surplus 30-06 ammo still on machine gun belts. He pulled off about 15' worth of ammo and gave it to me. I bought a 30-06 rifle the next day.

I understand today better than in 1974 that there is very little difference between any of the common rounds. I've pretty much stuck with 30-06, but have come to appreciate 308 in smaller packages (Kimber) in recent years. I think my reasoning was pretty valid back in 1974.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Your caliber choices sound to me like you read a lot....People pick a 270 or a 30/06 frequently because they come in commonly available,good quality,affordable rifles,ammo is available everywhere,and kill about anything.Both are "proven" international cartridges.They also recoil moderately enough tha many people can shoot them well.

Sectional density is a nice number to think about but bullet construction is more important than a paper number.

Lots of very good hunting bullets are made in 270 and 30/06.The 6.5's and 7mm's are good too,and among rifle nuts they offer some advantages at very long range, but not very many under more ordinary hunting conditions.Even then you don't want to be standing in front of a 30/06 or 270 at 600 yards....they will both kill you dead....

A 30/06 is (should be)the center piece in any collection of BG rifles.It's a great place to start(and stop,for some).With lighter bullets it's much like the smaller calibers like a 270 or 280,etc., but its 200-220 gr bullets set it apart from the smaller stuff.Frontal area is a factor(more important I think than theoretical SD numbers),and a 30 caliber has more than the smaller calibers.

Never been but if I lived in SA,hunted, and were limited in the number of rifles I could own,a 30/06 is where I would start.I'd pick a 375H&H over a 338 any day of the week.

Very good post.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
When i read these type of articles i often think back to the early 70's when i posed this question to a guy by the name of David Wolfe, and another by the name of neal knox. I only had money at the time to buy one rifle, what should it be. The answer was the 30.06. The reason behind it, understanding they were publishing handloader magazine of course, was it had the most variety of bullets from light to heavy, and while not perhaps the BEST round for specific situations, it was capable of doing it all with the right bullets. I went out and bought a remington BDL left hander, and although many other rifles have followed, that's the rifle that has started a couple of grandson's on the road to perdition.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Familiarity.

Gunner

Trump Won!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

2) 7mm Rem Mag for the longer work
Works just as good up close! Doesn't kick excessively, I can't think of a reason to switch to something else up close. A good 160 bullet and your ready and able.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
223AI. thank us later.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by stxhunter
223AI. thank us later.

Roger,

I would have to amend that for my three-gun list;

1. .223AI - 1:8" Twist

2. .30-06 - 1:10" Twist

3. .375 H&H OR .338WM, depending on recoil sensitivity.

JHMO

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

210 members (12344mag, 222ND, 270wsmnutt, 44mc, 160user, 1936M71, 23 invisible), 2,478 guests, and 1,059 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,645
Posts18,533,746
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.