Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Has anybody used the 95 bt on elk? More specifically, has anybody punched one with a high shoulder shot? I like my animals to drop in their tracks. I have full confidence in the bullet with a behind the shoulder shot, but I'm not sure how it would do if it encountered heavy bone and muscle. If not the 95 bt I am also considering the 105 scenar. They both shoot well out of my 243 wssm.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
This is the Elk forum not the deer forum. Maybe a moderator will move this thread for you?

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
laugh laugh
OK

I was asking for feedback from people who have used the bullet, not opinions on appropriate caliber size.

Last edited by chicoredneck; 05/24/12.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Not busting your chops, but just curious.

Why do you want to use such a light bullet, for such a big animal? We all know small bullets will work, but there's not much room for error.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I shot a few deer with the95 grain BT, if I had to try this, I would stick with Partitions...

Molon Labe
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was not impressed at all with the 95 BT when I used it on caribou years ago - and they're not tough animals. The 100 grain Pro-hunter was a much better performer...much better, and the 95 Partition easily bettered that. But I always liked the more solid delivery of goods I got with the 7mm-08 over the 6mm on caribou.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
Not busting your chops, but just curious.

Why do you want to use such a light bullet, for such a big animal? We all know small bullets will work, but there's not much room for error.

i agree. imo, we owe an animal our best attempt. if all you have is a 243 (or if that is the level of recoil you can tolerate), then try some 95 or 100gr partitions. if you have a larger caliber, consider using it. good luch with what ever you select.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
is there now a contest to see who can use the smallest bullets to kill elk?

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I feel no need to justify my reasoning for using the rifle of my choice. All that matters to this discussion is reports on actual field use. My question is seeking feedback from people who have used the 95gr nosler ballistic tip to take game, and how it performed. For those of you who have shared your experiences, I thank you.

Mosly I am concerned with the bullets penetration depth and it's ability to handle heavy bone. Ballistic tips vary in their construction from caliber to caliber, so I wanted specific feedback for the 95 bt.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I tried to ask as nice as I could, but you don't want to play nice.

My feelings are, if you have to ask the question. It's not a good bullet. Shoot a proven bullet. Not one that a couple of guys on a forum say it works.

Call the bullet manufacture, and get their view.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I only use the 95gr BST's as my predator bullet.

IMO as from a bullet prospective....I would go with the 90gr Accubond or the 100-110 when they produce it or the 100gr Partition.

I prefer the larger bullets, but the 85gr TSX may be another.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Only two responses and one was on deer, the other,not satisfied on a caribou.Seems that answers the question.If it worked, there would be a lot more positive repsonses.

Most responses are just trying to negate something that isn't appropriate and are from what likely are experienced hunters.

Not hard to imagine what a 95 gr C&C bullet, going 3200+ fps is going to do when impacting large bone. I have not done it,but I am fairly certain of the results.

Last edited by saddlesore; 05/24/12.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The 95gr. BT is NOT a bullet to break elk shoulders with.

I've used the 95gr. BT on deer, hogs and coyote sized critters. It is a great performing bullet, but it has it's limitations. I would not choose to shoot an elk with one no matter how fast it was going.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
You obviously don't know much about elk or hunting them if you plan on shooting an elk in the shoulder with a 95gr ballistic tip. That sounds like a dumb thing to say and do. Why don't you use a bigger caliber or a better bullet.

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by chicoredneck
I feel no need to justify my reasoning for using the rifle of my choice. All that matters to this discussion is reports on actual field use. My question is seeking feedback from people who have used the 95gr nosler ballistic tip to take game, and how it performed. For those of you who have shared your experiences, I thank you.

Mosly I am concerned with the bullets penetration depth and it's ability to handle heavy bone. Ballistic tips vary in their construction from caliber to caliber, so I wanted specific feedback for the 95 bt.

This bullet is more appropriate for varmints and trolls.

long before Rodriguez stole that goat.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd punch lungs with one, dropped some deer great with them - Love the bullet, but would use the 80-85 Barnes as those have been used on elk and will drill bone.

Surprised to hear the 100 Sierra's did markedly better than the excellent 95BT - on 'bou - not that large or tough critter it seems.

Scenars would not be for ME on game, esp. elk.

As for varmints and trolls - well - Laffin.

IIRC Dogzapper spoke of some very large game, and it seems some large African plains game taken cleanly w/the 95BTs.

It's not a 'miracle' bullet, but it's a darned good 6mm GAME bullet, proven time and again.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
FWIW, my older brother killed a few cow elk (I believe it was 3) with the 100gr Partition. That bullet, and the 85TSX are probably the only 2 I'd start running into elk. No, they aren't an elephant and they don't die too hard, but I think there's better choices out there as far as 6mm bullets go.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Don't think killing a cow is the same as a bull tanner.

Nobody is going to claim the bullet won't kill an elk. It's just that most of us think it's a bad choice.

Give the elk some respect, and use a bullet that has a better chance of killing it in all situations.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by chicoredneck
laugh laugh
OK

I was asking for feedback from people who have used the bullet, not opinions on appropriate caliber size.

Trollin,Trolling,Trolling.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I love ballistic tips, but I've had issues with that bullet on mule deer out of the .243 WSSM

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (1lessdog, 10Glocks, 1minute, 1234, 222Sako, 007FJ, 58 invisible), 2,079 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,778
Posts18,495,890
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.