Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#653795 11/28/05
S
shine Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I'm considering getting an electric checkering tool. Any experience or recommendations?

GB1

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
It depends--how good are you with checkering by hand?

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
ditto

[Linked Image]
S
shine Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Seriously guys, why wouldI be considering a powered unit if I wasn't doing good work with hand tools? I do a lot of checkering and have opportunities to do even more, but I have to pass it up due to limited time. I've spoke with a few people and know of a few others that are using electric checkering tools and would like to get as much info as possible before I make a purchase.
If you have any knowledge on the subject, I would apreciate it.
Thanks

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Shine, Utah actually asks a valid question. I've ran into a number of people that have thought that the electric checkering tool would make it easy enough for them to checker even though they couldn't do it by hand. If you are cutting crooked lines the power tool will just help you make them faster.
I do a little bit of checkering and bought a DoIron setup. I've acutally have only used it a little bit and have yet to get it's worth out of it. I think if I checkered more often it would save me a lot of time but since I usually have a long time between checkering jobs I'm a little uncomfortable jumping in with the power tool instead of the more comfortable hand tool. That being said I dislike power tools in general and prefer to do stuff by hand as much as possible.
I would think that if you are doing a job or two a month and had opportunity for more you could probably profit from a power tool. If you are only doing 2 or 3 a year it wouldn't be worth it. Inbetween is the questionable zone. If you are near OKC you would be welcome to come by the shop and try mine to see if it suits you (it's not for sale) or maybe someone in your area might make you the same offer. Good Luck!..........................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Here's an excellent web site for checkering info.

http://www.checkering.com/checkering_as_a_hobby.htm

Weagle

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I think djpaintless describes the issue pretty well...............certainly as it relates to me. The power checkerers will certainly speed up the job, if that's the object of the exercise.

It would be an expensive luxury for me. Although I do know some pure hobbyists that claim they'd never go back to hand tools after using a power tool.

Not being under the timeline of a professional, I typically checker in 2 hour segments. It keeps me fresh and alert, and doesn't turn the project into a chore.

GV

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (1_deuce, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 10gaugemag, 160user, 59 invisible), 2,585 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,391
Posts18,527,800
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.