Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Found an old remington #6 at the local flea market this spring and decided it needed a home.

Rusted bore, no rifling to speak of, so..
I took a leap and ordered a piloted bit and a chamber reamer from Brownell's, and a liner from Dixie Gun works.

I'm no machinist, but it seems to shoot.

Today I got a few groundhogs with it, and had to wonder how many kids over the years did the same with it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

�Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a closer look at the American Indian.� - Henry Ford

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Fine weapon

'poor little critters' grin

Naught's had, alls spent
When desire is got without content
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ruger438
Found an old remington #6 at the local flea market this spring and decided it needed a home.

Rusted bore, no rifling to speak of, so..
I took a leap and ordered a piloted bit and a chamber reamer from Brownell's, and a liner from Dixie Gun works.

I'm no machinist, but it seems to shoot.

Today I got a few groundhogs with it, and had to wonder how many kids over the years did the same with it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Outstanding!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
What's it chambered in?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Give life to them old puppies. I just picked up another Stevens Favorite today, the barrel is trashed as is the butt stock but the the receiver other than some surface rust it fine and action is tight as a tick. It may become a 17" .22 WMR carbine in the near future!

Oh, it is a take down to boot, cost me a whole 10 bucks so far. Now I need a new stock & barrel liner......... maybe a Lyman receiver sight ....... OH man, I think I am in trouble again! smile smile smile

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Bristoe- .22 lr Considered a 17 mach 2 but it didn't seem right, maybe next one. Never relined a bore before and was suprised how easy it was.

�Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a closer look at the American Indian.� - Henry Ford
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
T Lee- I can see this could be addicting, its relatively cheap fun, but I didn't do as well as you at $10.00.

Dang, its just so much fun to just shoot the thing! Simple single shot, no scopes.

Heck it needed a breechblock spring, and it was simple to make one out of a used milwaukee sawzall blade!

Stock was replaced rather ham handed by somebody. It had a pistol grip but I sanded that out to make it look a little more like it was. And I had to replace the front sight with one laying around.

It went through several boxes of super aguila sp? and promotional federals, but winchester powerpoint did the deed tonight.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Looks like a fun project, with good results. smile

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I'm curious---I see you use JB to secure the liner in the barrel. Do you try to JB the whole length of the liner or just the ends, or what?
Years ago, a friend/gunsmith relined a .25-20 for me and he commented that he just epoxied the end of the liner and not the whole length. I've wondered ever since how others do it.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I coated the whole length, although it seemed a lot got pushed out when i slid the liner in.

I would guess doing the ends on a 22 at least would work.
I used these instructions from brownells, but didn't use acraglass obviously. http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/learn/Inst-143%20Barrel%20Liner.pdf

I chambered after installation too, so didn't follow the instructions too closely eek

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Not knowing; I would think one would want all airspace filled between the liner and the barrel for even disipation of heat. Lots of emphasis on the not knowing part... smile

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cool. Way cool. I wish I had the machinery and the ability to do that kind of work. I have an old Remington rolling block 20 guage that I would love to have made into a 45-70 but the cost would be more than buying a good replica. Makes a neat wall hanger though.
Thanks for the post.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I have one of these neat little rifles that has seen better days as well. Chambers eroded some so that you need to pry out the empty casing after each shot, but it's still accurate to minute of Red squirrel! LOL

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Did you drill that barrel dry or with oil?

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
lots of oil.

If you see the syringe on the lathe in the first pic, there is a small hose attached that I put in the other end of the barrel.

I just pushed oil through the barrel as I drilled 1 inch at a time between cleaning the drill flutes off.

Again I'm no machinist and don't know if that was the best way to do it but I was told I can't use too much oil, so I took that advice to heart.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Bulletbutt
Not knowing; I would think one would want all airspace filled between the liner and the barrel for even disipation of heat. Lots of emphasis on the not knowing part... smile

Funny you mention that. I was worried the epoxy would act as as insulator and not dissipate heat without a metal to metal contact.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
About 10 years ago one of my uncles in PA took me to one of
his friends house to visit with him. While we were there of
course we talked about guns and hunting. The gentleman went
into his den and brought out a Stevens single shot in 32RF
if I remember correctly and I swear that gun was in such great
shape that it must of sat in a closet for the last 75 years.
Every one I usually see is pretty beat up.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

ruger438---Is that a South Bend lathe?

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
no. its a a Logan

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

What speed did you run?

I'm thinking on doing this on my SB seems it would be a lot easier than what they have on the Brownells site.

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

140 members (2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 300_savage, 257robertsimp, 348srfun, 17 invisible), 1,885 guests, and 945 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,552
Posts18,510,398
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.