Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Mauser_Hunter,

I just can't figure out why manufacturers can't leave well enough alone. Many years ago Winchester went bean counter and nearly out of business. Remington's Model 700 action was one of the best on the block. It had to screw with it. So it makes sense without having any sense that Remington would screw with the proven Core-Lokt design. I remember reading an O'Conner article in which he wrote that the 175 grain 7MM Rem Mag Core-Lokt bullet was so well constructed that it would shoot through-and-through elk without expanding. Obviously it was designed to break bones of the biggest bears. O'Connor wrote that the 150 grain Core-Lokt 7MM Rem Mag dropped elk like lightning.

I have a friend who bought a Remington promotion rifle in .270 Win. I think he paid less than 300 bucks with scope included. With 130 grain Core-Lokts, that rifle would shoot under an inch all day long. We'd have to know something that good was too good to remain unscrewed. If the quality of an excellent yet relatively inexpensive bullet is compromised, then manufacturers can dupe us into buying their premium lines, which is probably inferior to their original lines of ammo, and charge us three times as much.

Good Hunting,

R

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
How I long for the old days when guns and ammo worked, were affordable, and it was easy to get elk tags.

Oh well. At least I enjoyed it once.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Raisuli
Hi dmsbandit,

I know that's it's less expensive to hand load, and the product is assuredly better. However, if you're like me and shoot less than a box a year, it's more convenient to shoot factory stuff, especially for deer. Even the biggest muley will fall to Core-Lokt bullets. Now were I to use a .270 Winchester for bigger stuff, I'd opt for reloads.

BTW, even though I do hand load, I have no problem hunting elk with factory 7MM Rem Mag 150 grain Core-Lokt bullets.

Like most things in life, there's a caveat contained herein: the Core-Lokts I have are about 20 years old. I am not sure if they're still quality bullets.

Good Hunting,

R

While I don't own a 270, I load for a group of friends that do. They all shoot between 150-200rds a year for practice. I personally shoot between 300-400rds a yr thru each of my 6.5x55s, 30-06, 308s, and .223. So, by the time deer season comes around there is a few thousand rounds sent downrange between all my centerfire rifles. So reloading is a must for me and my friends too even with their much lower totals.

I don't drink or Smoke. I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
59.5 H-4831SC/130 Sierra Prohunter. Bang, thump.

Or substitute a Remington Bronze Point for the Sierra (if you can find some of those old component bullets).

Not that it matters much what bullet you use, deer are easy to kill, those bullets are just real "dramatic" about it.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Put me down for 60gr H4831SC/130gr Partition

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
55 grains of IMR 4350
130 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip

I have yet to find a rifle that won't shoot that load well. Never seen a deer walk away after being hit with it.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
59.5 H-4831SC/130 Sierra Prohunter. Bang, thump.

Or substitute a Remington Bronze Point for the Sierra (if you can find some of those old component bullets).

Not that it matters much what bullet you use, deer are easy to kill, those bullets are just real "dramatic" about it.

Had some bad experiences with this bullet back in the '90's. In one year, my dad lost 4 deer, all shot with this bullet. He went back to the store-bought corelocks, and the problem went away.
About a year later, I was planning a hunting trip to S. America. I asked the outfitter what bullet he recommended and he gave me several to choose from, but he had also had bad results from the 130gr pro hunter and specifically recommended against the bullet.
Like I said, this all happened in the '90's.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
My Sako really likes the Barnes VorTX factory ammo:
Technical Information
Caliber: 270 Winchester
Bullet Weight: 130 Grains
Bullet Style: Tipped TSX Bullet Boat Tail Lead-Free
Case Type: Brass
Ballistics Information:
Muzzle Velocity: 3060 fps

[Linked Image]

And my 7mm-08 Weatherby likes the 120g load as well.

Last edited by Cruiser1; 05/26/12.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
140 Horn and 57 H4831

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by srwshooter
i'm over 250 animals with 140grn hornady bullets. 25 to 450yds they kill great.

250?

"Animals", not deer.

Could be 10 deer mixed in with 240 coyotes and groundhogs.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Oldman... - In my testing of bullets and diff media - I never found a Sierra to stay intact. All had seperated core-jackets.

That's the reason I quit buying em.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Never had a problem with the Pro Hunters. Been very accurate. Between my brother and I, we've shot shot maybe 20 deer with them. We've never recovered a bullet, so I can't say what they look like, but all have been one shot kills.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
55 grains of IMR 4831
under a SPEER hotcore 150 grain bullet
and a 215 fed primer

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/23...-150-grain-spitzer-soft-point-box-of-100

while its not exotic , its totally dependable and accurate,its worked very effectively for me on both deer and elk for over 40 years, its my favorite long range deer load

Last edited by 340mag; 05/27/12.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by M1Garand
Never had a problem with the Pro Hunters. Been very accurate. Between my brother and I, we've shot shot maybe 20 deer with them. We've never recovered a bullet, so I can't say what they look like, but all have been one shot kills.

I do not doubt you. I have read of others and some here of reputable background that have had success w/Sierras.

I can not remember all the diff kinds of media that I tested bullets in AND I used diff brands of bullets in the same kinds of media.

Since they did not pass the medium tests - I chose not to hunt with them.

That may say, killing deer is an EASIER test of bullets than diff media???

That may be something for me to mull over. Also it is hard for me to go hunt an animal w/a bullet I do not have confidence. confused confused

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by thumbcocker
57 grs. of H-4831 and a 150 gr. speer hot cor.

DITTO!

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jwall

I do not doubt you. I have read of others and some here of reputable background that have had success w/Sierras.

I can not remember all the diff kinds of media that I tested bullets in AND I used diff brands of bullets in the same kinds of media.

Since they did not pass the medium tests - I chose not to hunt with them.

That may say, killing deer is an EASIER test of bullets than diff media???

That may be something for me to mull over. Also it is hard for me to go hunt an animal w/a bullet I do not have confidence. confused confused

I don't blame you there, you gotta have confidence in what you're using. A really good load I've used with them was quite a few years ago before I bought my chronograph, we'd used a load that by the Sierra manual was supposed to be around 2950 fps. We shot maybe 12 deer with no problems and great results. When I bought the Pro Chrony, I found they were "only" doing about 2700-2750 fps...and we had great results and zero issues.

After that, I'd worked up some faster loads that put us more in the 2900-3000 fps range and about 4 years ago, my brother shot a buck that had an exit you could just about put your fist into, so I know they can be explosive and don't think anyone is wrong for going with a little stouter bullet if they want to put their 270s at full throttle or above 2900 or so fps.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Back in 1073, a co-worker made me an offer on an FN mauser in .270 that I just could not refuse. He'd taken the gun in as part of a trade and didn't want it. I got it for $75.00 cash on the barrelhead. A 24" very tin soda straw barrel and really light as a feather. My M70 Featherwieight should be so light. I put a cheap 4X scope on the gun and bought a couple of boxes of Winchester 130 gr. loads, forget what they were, sighted the gun and did some practice with the rest. I picked up a set of dies aand a box of the Siera Pro-Hunters although I don't remember if that called the that back then. Worked up to 60.0 gr. of milsurp H4831 and took the gun on a deer hunt. Wellm the deer went down DRT at the first shot but the mess that bullet made, distance was maybe 35 yards to the deer when I shot soured me right fast on the .270. The father of a hunting partner felt the same way and preferred the use of 150 gr. bullets in his .270. Well I only half way listened as the next set of loads I made up used the 130 gr. Nosler Partition but that too was more destructive than I like. Next was the 150 gr. Nosler Partition and that one shot well in that rifle but a job transfer moved me out of that state (Nevada frown ) to Arizona which cost me a year of hunting as it was too late tp put in for a draw. I got to playng with other rifles and that .270 along with three more sat in the safe cooling their heels. Why three more? Again, offers made I couldn't refuse.
ASfter 33 years of not drawing for antelope, I put in for a hunt in New Mexico and took the lastet aquisition, a Winchester M70 XTR with a stock I's swear came from McMillan as they show one just like it on their site. I have to wonder if Winchester didn't put some McMillan's on some of their rifles because it's not the only one I have. I used the 150 gr. Sierra Game King in that rifle for the hunt and took a nice representative head at 75 yards. Nice quartering shot that hit the second to last rib with about a .75" entrance and exited just behind the right shoulder with anout a 1.25" hole. Bullet nicked the stomach but good luck as nothing spilled out. The antelope trotted in about a 30 foot half circle, dropped and died. Muzzle velocity was 2930 FPS. I was kind of afraid there would be more damage due to the fairly close shot but surprisingly there was not.
If I'm lucky enough to draw this year, I'll probably take my 7x57 FWT but that .270 will come along as back up.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by M1Garand

and don't think anyone is wrong for going with a little stouter bullet if they want to put their 270s at full throttle or above 2900 or so fps.

Yep, that's the dope.

In the LATE 70s, I began using surp 4831 and vel 3100 +/-.

That said the Hornady 130 SP and 140 BTSP do not blow up. AT LEAST the older stock of bullet I have.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by PJGunner
---Back in 1073,--- a co-worker made me an offer on an FN mauser in .270 that I just could not refuse.
Paul B.

WHEN WAS THAT? whistle

Didn't know FN was that old. grin grin

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by PJGunner
---Back in 1073,--- a co-worker made me an offer on an FN mauser in .270 that I just could not refuse.
Paul B.

WHEN WAS THAT? whistle

Didn't know FN was that old. grin grin

Yup,in 1073 winchester was making bows and arrows,FN stood for "feathers and nocks"

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 163bc, 06hunter59, 16gage, 57 invisible), 2,958 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,969
Posts18,519,658
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.