Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
Ozarks Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
O
I was cleaning a bolt action rifle the other day and thinking that I don't use any grease on them, just oil (Break Free CLP) or dry lube (Hornady). I do use gun grease where recommended on my M1 Garand, but got to thinking I don't on bolt actions...

Should I be? I haven't noticed any accelerated wear issues using break free CLP, and/or Hornady dry lube on bolts.

Was curious to hear from you guys on whether you grease bolts or not.

I am not a prairie dog shooter, but hear some guys run 600+ rounds a day or some such large figure. Does that warrant grease? I figure if any scenario needed it that would be the one with the high cyclic rate of fire (for a bolt gun anyway).

I can't speak for now, but 20+ years ago when I wsa in the infantry we only used Break Free on everything from the M2 .50 cal down to M16's, .45's, M60's, grease guns, you name it. That made me think that maybe the upgrade in anti wear agents and lubricity of modern lubricants like Break Free negate the use of gun grease?

HR IC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes, on the back of the locking lugs and cocking cam.

Cancer Sucks
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GonHuntin

What he said.
I do it cause I've always done it. Sometimes that's reason enough.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Yep the only places that need it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Yep the only places that need it.

+1
just a real thin smear on the lugs.
Gus

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nailed that one !! I've using it in those places since '73 and never had a problem,it's a part of clean up and prep...

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
High pressure graphite moly assembly grease gets used on a lot of my guns.

A little goes a long ways.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I use grease on everything except the fire control groups on my semi autos where I can't get down in the little crevices. Oil sucks and has no other advantages I've found.

RLTW
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Yup, always have and always will.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

C
CKW Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I put RIG (Rust Inhibiting Grease) on a piece of chamois and use it to wipe the metal exterior of my rifles. Very thin amount to remove fingerprints, etc., and as a rust preventative. I currently live in a dry climate but started using RIG when living in western Oregon. Don't see any reason to change. Fingerprints, especially sweaty ones, can cause rust very quickly.

"It is wise, though, to remember above all else: rifle, caliber, scope, and even bullets notwithstanding, the most important feature of successful big game hunting is to put that bullet in the correct place, the first time!" John Jobson
IC B3

O
Ozarks Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
O
GonHuntin, everyone seems to agree you nailed the locations that merit grease. I don't argue that at all, and wonder if I should have been putting grease there myself versus Break Free CLP.

Grease is messy and does it do a better job than the premium oil lubricants we have available now is what I am wondering. I would prefer to keep using one oil and not use oil and grease on a bolt action rifle.

Anyone heard of any testing in this regard? I would think the military would have done extensive testing to approve CLP for being the only lubricant used on small arms (in my unit on mortars, and 50 cal and down). Before CLP, grease was definitely used along with oil in the military. My military experience was a long time ago, for all I know they may be using grease again.

I don't want to induce premature wear on bolt lugs, but would also like to not mess with grease either. Unless some good testing was done, I guess it is just people throwing opinions around. I have not heard of anyone ruining a bolt gun by not using grease, but most people don't shoot much (I'm talking about the average hunters out there, not us loonies on here who shoot and reload, and shoot some more...)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The grease I use is formulated for high pressure applications......don't think much of CLP for that job.......you don't need much grease to prevent galling, just a thin layer will do......a friend that built custom rifles taught me to use it...

I use CLP for certain applications, but I use high pressure grease on the lugs and cocking cam.

Cancer Sucks
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Grease is not messy unless WAY too much is applied. When properly applied grease is actually neater than oil IMO cause it can't run into places it's not wanted. On most guns I don't think it really matters which you use. Don't feel like your gun was being excessively worn from using only oil.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Yep. Trailer hitch ball high pressure grease with a generous portion of Moly stirred in.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Horseman
Grease is not messy unless WAY too much is applied. When properly applied grease is actually neater than oil IMO cause it can't run into places it's not wanted. On most guns I don't think it really matters which you use. Don't feel like your gun was being excessively worn from using only oil.

Yep, if you can see the grease, you've used too much. Never recall using grease in the military... used LSA before CLP.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I've been using Shooters Choice grease on the lugs of my bolts since I first read about it here. Had previously only used it on the trunions of my o/u shotgun (sparingly).

Jeff

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I use is on the locking lugs and cocking cam. Graphite is corrosive to aluminum. Be careful where you use it.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I use grease where specified on my M1, and I've tried it on locking lugs on bolt guns before.

Interestingly, the component in grease that does the lubeicating is oil. The 'grease' is jut a thicker carrier to hold it where you put it 'better.'

So, I don't think the question is one of better lubrication, so long as your grease is as new in lube technology as your oil is. Rather, I think it is one of whether the lube stays put better with a thicker carrier (grease) or a thinner one (oil).

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I always felt like weapons in the military were expeced to wear and brake. That's why we had the armorers scurried away in their holes fixing and inventorying those weapons full time. I have never seen another group of people who seem to have such a collective lack of vitamin D.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Armorers are parts swappers.... gets a little more complicated at the forward or direct support level wink

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

404 members (12344mag, 16gage, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 46 invisible), 2,557 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,497
Posts18,490,459
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.