Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
WFR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I bought this 8' 4# Avid back in '03 and it has been my go-to rod since then.
Keep in mind that I am a novice at fly fishing.
Went to take it out of the case and the tip was broken off about 3 inches from the end.

Lifetime warranty so I will probably have to spend $20-$30 in shipping but here's the catch.
They no longer offer the Avid in this rod length and weight.
Since I mostly fish small streams in western NC and upstate SC I am thinking of replacing it with a 7'9" 3# 4-piece or a 8'6" 4# 4-piece.
http://www.stcroixrods.com/product/avid-fly#model-A793.4
Would really like to get some opinions before I ship this one off to be replaced.
Thanks in advance!
WFR

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can't speak of the rod you broke or the one your targeting... I haven't used either.

That said, I use a 3wt TFO, a Browning 5wt and a Lamiglass 7wt, for whatever chore comes along.
I REALLY like the 3wt rod.
It's feather light, casts really well and is a blast to play fish on.

I think the biggest difference in length will be found in being able to keep more line off the water on the smaller streams and mending chores.

Put a new tip on the old rod and see how it casts - might need to go up a line to make it lively..... good luck.

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

WFR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I am going to call them today to see what my options are.
I will not be putting a new tip on the rod as I have to send it back for warranty replacement.

I was looking on their Bargain Bin page and found a 8'4# Legend Ultra for $224.
http://www.stcroixrods.com/shop/cat...ra_Fly_Rod_8_4Weight_4_Piece-382-25.html
There's also a Legend Elite 7'9" 3# for $287.
http://www.stcroixrods.com/shop/cat...Fly_Rod_7_9_3_Weight_4_Piece-310-25.html

The Legend Ultra and legend Elite are both faster rods than the Avid.
If I stick with the moderate action of the Avid series I guess my best two options would be the 7'9" 3# or the 8'6" 4#.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Before I would lose any sleep or spend any money on a return, I would just put a new tip on the rod you have and fish it. My guess is that 3 inches won't make a difference...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
W
W
George Anderson's "Yellowstone Angler" fly shop in Livingston, Montana, just did a good review on the best 4-weights.

The St. Croix Imperial 4-wt, at $200, ranked right up there with some of the $600-$700 rods. The review is available on their website.

http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/

Last edited by white owl; 05/29/12.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Before I would lose any sleep or spend any money on a return, I would just put a new tip on the rod you have and fish it. My guess is that 3 inches won't make a difference...

I'd certainly try that first...

BT53

WFR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm back in business!
I can order the entire rod end section for $30 shipped free.
Should have it here by the end of the week.
The rod tip will match color, etc as it is based on the serial number and model number of the rod.
I have 9 St Croix rods and this is only the second time I've had to call them.
A few years back one of the eyelets on a 6'6" Medium Light spinning rod was moving around on me. They replaced the entire bottom end of rod for me.

Thanks for the replies.

I do think I will sweat off that old tip and put it on the broken end to keep for a spare. I'll then have the option of a 7'9" 4 wt!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have fished here for a good 20 years with a 7' 5wt Orvis small stream special. It's all you need and I've caught thousands of fish on it. I get out onto the ponds and I go to an 8' or 8 1/2 5 wt. I picked up an 8 1/2' 4wt this year and it's great unless your on a pond and it's breezy. On a small stream, you can't go wrong with a 7' 5wt and I am partial to 2 piece rods. They've got one too!

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm a big fan of St Croix rods, my absolute favorite is an Avid 9' 9 wt 3 piece rod that has caught a lot of salmon for me over the years. IMO they are one of the best buys out there. For bigger trout I have an "entry level" Sage Launch 9' 4 piece 6 weight that is really nice too.

Last edited by gerrygoat; 05/30/12.

Gerry.
WFR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Sage or Loomis will be my next "step up" rod.
Probably going to go with a 9' 5 wt or 6 wt.
That way I can use it on smaller ponds and rivers for bream and smallmouth.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not even a thunk for me I'd be all over the TFO brand. I own 2 of them and totally love them.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm a fast action fly rod lover and a total Sage slut when it comes to fly rods. Have had many and like none as much as my old XP 590-4. It's my go to rod if I know I won't be in tight quarters. Shame they quit making it. In tighter stuff I have a 7'6" (iirc) 4 weight TCR that's been great as well.

My small stream rod is a 7'6" 3 weight Winston that was a gift. Absolute magical stick with a hefty price tag. Super light, casts bullets and feels superb.

For most stuff I would not feel undergunned with the mid level and up rods from Loomis, TFO or St Croix and have a smattering of same across the board.

WFR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have been inspired to look at some new fly rods this year!
Thanks gentlemen!

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I went all of my life with essentially one fly rod, a 9 foot, 8 weight Fenwick HMG. It went everywhere and did everything. Like rifles, better off with more than you need than less than you need. smile "Use enough rod." smile

The past few years I got the UL bug. I got a 5 foot, 2 piece, 2 weight Cabela's TQR. Pretty fun for small streams. That lead to my first Sage though, a TXL-F 0 weight. I'm in looooooove !!!

Plus a couple 7-8 piece 4 weight pack rods, one LL Bean, one Cabelas ... both store brands. They're pretty ok.

Still, something in the 5-6 weight range would be pretty nice ...

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Not even a thunk for me I'd be all over the TFO brand. I own 2 of them and totally love them.

Dober

Cabela's had the last of their TFO Professional series for sale not long ago and I have a 8'6" 5wt on it's way to my door right now! $75!! That's a give away price on a really nice all-round rod.

BT53

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
look for a 7ft 9 3 weight st croix in the ultra legend. no longer made buy one on e bay excellet rod for what you want

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Dober

Dober, I gotta say, you suck. Since I have a TFO 9' summer steelhead spinning rod that I love, I went looking around at TFO's website, and now I'm trying to figure out how to fit three new flyrods (Lefty Kreh Pro II series: 8' 2wt, 9' 4wt, and 10' 5wt)into the toy budget, around new rifle projects and a new shotgun!

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KDK

Dober

Dober, I gotta say, you suck. Since I have a TFO 9' summer steelhead spinning rod that I love, I went looking around at TFO's website, and now I'm trying to figure out how to fit three new flyrods (Lefty Kreh Pro II series: 8' 2wt, 9' 4wt, and 10' 5wt)into the toy budget, around new rifle projects and a new shotgun!

Through the garage, one at a time.
Ask for forgiveness, if caught..... but alway remain true to your mission.
Good Luck!

BT53

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Oh, getting them into the house isn't the problem... trying to rebarrel a couple of .270s to 6.5-06 and .338-06, buying a donor and rebarreling it to .338-375 Ruger, and trying to buy a drift boat are going to crush the budget. (And the drift boat might be hard to hide, too.)

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
With a "To Do" list like that....

I'd think waltzing through the front door with a couple of fly rods would go unnoticed!

You tipped your hand when you announced your intentions to rebarrel a couple of perfectly good .270's...

Any good spousal unit, knows that that's just not right! :-)

BT53

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (16penny, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 02bfishn, 1234, 58 invisible), 2,554 guests, and 1,358 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,574
Posts18,491,978
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.