Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I've been re-reading my reloading books on black powder cartridges. It seems there is a consensus that a grease cookie is necessary for paper patched bullets if one doesn't want to clean after every shot but there is no consensus of grease cookies for the lubed bullet.

Is a grease cookie necessary for lubed bullets for multiple shots?

Now onto the wad. It seems that a wad would not be necessary for gas-checked bullets unless one is also using a grease cookie. It seems to me that the gas-check acts as the wad to protect the bullet from gas and seal the bullet so that gas cannot get around the bullet.

I understand how the gas-check works, right? Is a wad still needed if one doesn't use a grease cookie with a gas check?

I was going to PM this to some of the BPCR gurus but I thought maybe others would be interested as well.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

GB1

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Shooting dirty is regulated more by the bullet design then fouling control.
You can shoot with or with out a wad if you want to using a GG bullet or patched but dont expect the accuracy with repeated shots that you get with using some sort of fouling control.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you're using a good bpcr type bullet and blackpowder lube, grease cookies aren't necessary.
Grease cookies are most handy in paper patched loads used for hunting.
Wads either fiber or ldpe or cork or felt are generally left to the preference of the rifle and the one that yanks on said rifles trigger.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Ranch13
If you're using a good bpcr type bullet and blackpowder lube, grease cookies aren't necessary.
Wads either fiber or ldpe or cork or felt are generally left to the preference of the rifle and the one that yanks on said rifles trigger.

What is a grease cookie? is it something new, I have been shooting BP for 40 yrs and never heard of them until now. grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hubert for a knowitall sumbich, you're certainly and ignorant bastid.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Hubert

What is a grease cookie? is it something new, I have been shooting BP for 40 yrs and never heard of them until now. grin

Gall durn Hubert, a grease cookie is a homemade sugar cookie made from hog-butt tallow, they good too. laugh

Gunner

Trump Won!
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

You are right, I am totally ignorant of things that appear to be made up buy some dumb bastard that dosen't know the proper name for it.FU. grin

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by gunner500

Gall durn Hubert, a grease cookie is a homemade sugar cookie made from hog-butt tallow, they good too. laugh

Gunner

A hog does not have tallow. they have lard. grin

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL laugh

Gunner

Trump Won!
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

Just out of curosity why do you feel it was nessary to call me a know it all , sumbitch and an igorant bastard, all I did was ask a simple question and I get treated like that. That might make some new people wonder if they want to post on the campfire.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Just out of curosity why do you feel it was nessary to call me a know it all , sumbitch and an igorant bastard, all I did was ask a simple question and I get treated like that. That might make some new people wonder if they want to post on the campfire.

You really need to quit sucking on that finger, Bud,....it's affecting your mind.

e.g. "what's a grease cookie",......"What's White Powder",...

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by crossfireoops

You really need to quit sucking on that finger, Bud,....it's affecting your mind.

GTC

I am not the one acting like an idiot here.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Just out of curosity why do you feel it was nessary to call me a know it all , sumbitch and an igorant bastard,
Just call em as I see them, besides you happen to be the ingorant bastard that announced that after 40 years of bpcr experience you had never heard of something that has mention all the way back to the 1800's.
all I did was ask a simple question and I get treated like that.
No your "simple question" was an attack , and you really didn't like the response. Do you suppose if you talked to people in person the way you do here anybody would want anything to do with you? I think not. Look at the embasyl you made of yourself on the 30-30 etc with bp thread.
That might make some new people wonder if they want to post on the campfire.
So may we take that as your statement that you are leaving and never to stink the place up again?

www.historicshooting.com
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
You are a brave son of a b---h when you are 2000 miles away.

also learn how to spell you dumb chit.

Last edited by Hubert; 05/28/12.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by crossfireoops

GTC

I am not the one acting like an idiot here.

Right,

......septic tank.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
another brave one.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"The term labrick was in constant use by all grown men except certain of the clergy in the state of Missouri when I was a boy. It had a very definite meaning & occupied in the matter of strength the middle ground between scoundrel & son of a bitch...But...let me brush aside the ornamental & give you the plain & authentic definition of the word. Labrick is substantially ass, a little enlarged & emphasized; let us say, labrick is a little stronger than ass, & not quite as strong as idiot."

- Letter to Benjamin Eli Smith, 8/6/1906 Authored by Mark Twain

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I never got my education drinking and parting in collage so I am lacking in a formal education. But I received my education by doing things, like spending 3 years in Alaske in the military. where I hunted , fished and spent some of my leave time working on a Dairy farm in Palmer. I got my first rifle on my 6th birthday and was taught to shoot by my uncles that were real mountain Men. My experiances are too numerus to write about here. and I releize many of the people on here are envious of my vast knowledge and experiences, while theirs are from reading gun magazines and their fantasies and day dreams. grin

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Troll.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
OK.

"Don't be so humble - you are not that great."
- Golda Meir (1898-1978)

They gave me my first mini-gun at age 20. Matriculated at the infamous A Shau University w/graduate work at Hamburger Hill College of Fine Art and Explosives. Later on I switched majors and attended the Ben Het Monastery to enhance my vocabulary. Few give a chitt and fewer are envious. Residents of 49 other states and the rest of planet earth don't care much about how it was done in Alaska back in the day. The future is in front of you, not in your hip pocket.

The "Labrick" state of being is voluntary.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

512 members (1badf350, 257wthbylover, 219DW, 1936M71, 222Sako, 1234, 54 invisible), 2,454 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,439
Posts18,489,434
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.