Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Also, will I be kicked off the Gucci site for the thoughtcrime of color bias?

GB1

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I don't really have a dog in the fight. I like Kifaru packs, and have owned some (Still own one). I'd love to have a few MR packs, Dana packs, and any other packs you want to throw my way. I also have a McHale and wouldn't mind having more. I'm the same way with guns. My handgun collection consists of a Springfield 1911, Glock 19, SIG P226, S&W Model 60, and a Makarov. My tents have been Hilleberg, Big Agnes, REI, MSR, etc. I'm not exactly brand loyal.

In other words the whole, "I hate this company so I'm going to slam it repeatedly" attitude doesn't make much sense to me. (My comments are not directed at Kuteny)

Vek, I get that you don't like the fabric panels on Kifaru's and think they cost too much. Noted. I really don't get the need to continue bashing the brand and mocking it. Particularly when you've never used one. That's the shocker.

As an example, I never plan on paying $3,500 dollars for a Schmidt and Bender. I think Nightforce makes a perfectly decent scope for less than half that. I might once mention in a thread that I personaly wouldn't buy a S&B, for blah, blah, blah reasons. But if I went on and on about what a waste of money S&B's are, that means the issue is probably with me.

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I've stated the circumstances under which I'd try and possibly use a Kifaru pack, and have repeatedly said that I have no issue with the functionality of their pack. Others on this thread seem to take issue with my taking issue with the original color offering and Kifaru's remedy.

I also don't recall saying that Kifaru packs are a waste of money. I do recall saying there are other less expensive selections that may work less well, as well, or better, and that four of those less expensive options work well enough for me for what I do.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Big_W
I think Kute has a lot more to offer as far as advise and experiance than you do Bushcraft. That really does not mean anything or is it a insult but since you are hating on him its something I must say. Maybe he is not "GO HARD" or a badass crossfit critter slayer but that does not mean he is an idiot. Its sad how this has turned into a personal attack. As for posting up pictures? Why, like he said he has nothing to prove. Its amazing a old guy like Kute can even use a computer, let alone post pictures(sorry,hehe). You dont me see me posting about every animal I get or putting up trophy pictures. Some guys do not feel the need to I guess, others do for whatever reasons.

Hey, it's a free country and you are free to choose to believe whatever you want, even if there is ample evidence to the contrary. You are evidently aligned in the camp of blind faithers. Whatever. I'm okay with that if you are.

But don't put words in my mouth. I didn't call him out as an idiot. I called him out as a fraud.

As for him not having anything to prove, I think you are wrong. For someone that spouts off as much as he does, he ought to be able to back it up with something more tangible than pecking on his keyboard and pressing submit.

Try to look at it this way: If someone posted ad nauseum on a well regarded tactical message board under an anonymous user name that he was a Navy SEAL and opined, with a bloated air of authority on all manner of weapon systems, tactics, etc,...don't you think that the SF Community would eventually call him out?

Of course they would.

It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great.
Reviews are only as good as the crowd reviewing them.
Progressive Liberalism is the philosophy of Western suicide.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Vek
I've stated the circumstances under which I'd try and possibly use a Kifaru pack, and have repeatedly said that I have no issue with the functionality of their pack. Others on this thread seem to take issue with my taking issue with the original color offering and Kifaru's remedy.

I also don't recall saying that Kifaru packs are a waste of money. I do recall saying there are other less expensive selections that may work less well, as well, or better, and that four of those less expensive options work well enough for me for what I do.

But in reality that's all a dodging act. How we say (or write) something is often more meaningful and truer than what we write. Calling something "Gucci" has negative connotations that go along with it. When I hear the term the thoughts that come to my mind are; overly expensive, hip, trendy, etc. In other words, you may not type the words, "Kifaru packs are overpriced packs that only an uninformed person would waste money on", but when you refer to the company as "Rocky Mountain Gucci" you are saying exactly that. Secondarily, you are also making a statement about the people who would use and spend money on a Gucci item. And it is a negative statement.

I really don't have a bone to pick with you. You are more than welcome to your opinion, regardless of how similar or different from mine it is. I was just trying to point out you seem to have excessive angst against a company whose products you've never owned. wink

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"Can't we all just...get along?"
Rodney King

(Some people on here have some issues...not saying who.)

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
"Gucci" in this case is more a dig at the user than the product, but I see your point.

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
Originally Posted by Bushcraft
Hey, it's a free country and you are free to choose to believe whatever you want, even if there is ample evidence to the contrary. You are evidently aligned in the camp of blind faithers. Whatever. I'm okay with that if you are.
I'd have a lot more respect for blunt, candid, no-bullshit rhetoric than what you've typed here. That approach would speak highly of you, at least in my eyes. This passive-aggressive stuff not so much. In other words, the loaded, snarky terms are unfortunate. Why? Because they're all I see when I read your post.

Last edited by ZenoMarx; 05/29/12.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I never could cough up the change for a Rhino pack, but I did buy a handwarmer pouch to carry my revolver concealed and at the ready. Man, that seems like a lifetime ago. It worked well but for me it has been eclipsed by the HPG kit bag.

The pouch was indeed black, and came with a reversible panel. Hunter's orange on one side, camo on the other. I vaguely remember that one idea was to be legal on the trail with whatever square mileage of orange was required, but you could surreptitiously reverse the panel when you were away from the madding crowd.

That at least is what my imperfect memory is giving me.

OBTW, take it from a former lab rat. The gucci of electrical tape is parafilm! Now that is some awesome stuff!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by ZenoMarx
Originally Posted by Bushcraft
I'd have a lot more respect for blunt, candid, no-bullshit rhetoric than what you've typed here. That approach would speak highly of you, at least in my eyes. This passive-aggressive stuff not so much. In other words, the loaded, snarky terms are unfortunate. Why? Because they're all I see when I read your post.

And my stance with Kute hasn't been blunt, candid, no-bullshit enough for you???

As it happens, I've met Big W in person and shared a campfire with him. Even though he's a young guy, I think he's plenty man enough to take my ribbing and understand where I'm coming from.

It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great.
Reviews are only as good as the crowd reviewing them.
Progressive Liberalism is the philosophy of Western suicide.

IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Like I said, I spotted Kute across the US/Canadian border with an pair of Swaro binos and then confirmed with an Swaro spotter. Also I was wearing my green pajamas with cat paw prints on them which heightens my senses in the woods. Thats proof enough for me.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Vek
I reckon you're the guy with the fanatical bent here. Consider rereading the first line of your signature. I'm just pointing out things that make no sense to me (and still don't, despite your efforts).

I'm the one with the fanatical bent? Don't think so. You've hung your hat on one thing--black color.

My opinion is, black doesn't matter. I've proven to my own satisfaction that a black pack or black gear makes no difference to the animals. Besides the K-pack, I used to own a pair of black wool pants when I hunted whitetails back east in the mountains of VA. They were the only warm pants I owned so that's what I wore. And I got my buck every year. What can I say, I was young and stupid and just went deer hunting. If I'd known that whitetails were ungulates, it would've made all the difference in the world. I could've gotten my buck every year while wearing stuff that knowledgeable guys approved of.

Not to mention, I could've avoided all firearms that were colored black, what was I thinking?

Your opinion is, the color black will impair a hunter's ability to kill animals, no doubt based on recent, "cutting-edge" research into "how ungulates see." Any time I see the word "ungulates" in a discussion like this, I know I'm in for some really fascinating dialogue.

And I'm the one with the fanatical bent?? That research on how ungulates see is useful though, it's been used to sell a pile of expensive camo. gear.

How about you, how many animals have you spooked with a black pack?

If you're wearing a black pack and spooking animals, most likely it's not the pack.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Jedi5150
In other words the whole, "I hate this company so I'm going to slam it repeatedly" attitude doesn't make much sense to me. (My comments are not directed at Kuteny)

Well, my first comments were directed at Kutenay, because I thought he was engaging in just what you described. After hearing his specifics though, it looks like he had some real issues, so I apologize for that.

I still think it's a good company though. Almost all that grow and expand have the same kind of problems at some point and it's how they respond that matters. I've never had bad CS either, maybe it's because they know me but it's never felt like that.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Boy-....... I bet the OP'er is really glad that he posted his very simple question in his original post on this thread.

Bet it will make him want to come back to this forum and ask more ?'s from this group. BTW- I see he has given up on responding to this thread a couple weeks ago. Probably smart of him, as he probably could not get in a word edgewise.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Vek
Enlighten us.

I did...you are ignoring it AND saying you will not go look for it. Kinda like the ol'saying about leading a horse to water....

Originally Posted by Vek
I think the original color selection and subsequent selling/offering of remedial window dressing and calling it beneficial is stupid all the way around. I'd go so far as to think the same of the folks who fanatically defend the black coloring and fleece panels.

Stupid? All the way around? Packs and people who bought them? Really?

Originally Posted by Vek
Note again how I've not criticized the functionality of the pack, nor have I judged the persons who tout the pack as such, as I've not used it. At this time, I can only comment on what I see on the pack, and fleece panels are ridiculous.

I beg to differ. See above. You are being very critical and judgemental considering you've never used one.

You even said yourself that you would probably get kicked off Kifaru's forum....and acting the way you do, I'd have to agree.

I don't believe any of us 'fanatics' have a problem with your distaste of the black packs or the fleece panels, but rather, the way you bash away at Kifaru and the people using them.

You ran your mouth, we called you on it. End of story.

Like I said before...good humour.

Last edited by ken999; 05/30/12.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by llama2
Boy-....... I bet the OP'er is really glad that he posted his very simple question in his original post on this thread.

Bet it will make him want to come back to this forum and ask more ?'s from this group. BTW- I see he has given up on responding to this thread a couple weeks ago. Probably smart of him, as he probably could not get in a word edgewise.

+1

We should quit bickering about the little things and offer solid advice to those that ask , yes we may have different opinions and we can voice them, but no need to bicker about them

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I knew this one was going to take a giant dump. It was kinda like asking "What is the most accurate rifle". Think how that would of turned out on here, would not of ended well if it ever ended at all. This thread has gone so many ways, we are on page 14 already!

As for black packs, I just do not want to get my a$$ shot by some idiot around here. No black colored anything for me please. Not a fan of the fleece panels either or camo or blaze orange.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Yup, that Foliage colour that MR first introduced when I bought my original NICE Frame, is about ideal for ANY use one might have for a backpack. I have just been digging through some of the old photos of backpack and hunting trips that I do have and I really notice the difference between my blue packs of the '70s and the foliage ones of recent years.

It blends in so well that I see no need fot camo of any type and I do not care for camo, anyway, as it just looks too "militia" for me. I am "old school" and I much prefer to dress in earth tones and have my gear lowkey, as well.

Given BC's vast, empty wilderness areas, I don't worry too much about another hunter shooting me as I seldom encounter anyone else when hiking along, under my pack, trying to find game.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by kutenay
Kifaru-Longhunter Rendevous pack came with huge fanfare, had three serious sewing errors, no replacement offered, had to buy new components. Chalked it up to "one of those things" and continued to spend a total of 5K at Kifaru.

Had further QC issues with K-gear, then a major delay when they had a lot of my money for months until a tipi exchange was completed, very poor communication during this time and treated as though I were "lucky" that they were selling me a product.

Next Kifaru deal, paid for items which I was told were "in stock" and would be shipped immediately....they had my money for about three months, were very evasive when I called and when they finally shipped, they told me that they had not had them in stock, as per the original order.

This CS sucked and Kifaru is another "cult" company in my experience with them. Too bad, but, "actions speak louder than words".

I had thought to avoid all of this and there is more, as I see little benefit to any of it, however, there it is. Mystery Ranch packs are better-made than Kifaru packs and the comparative customer service is light years beyond what most of mine from KS was and I did not post all of it, just enough to make my point.

Some, will no doubt, have comments about this, based on friendship with the owner of Kifaru, Smokepole is in that group. Well, whatever, this is not "slamming" anyone, it is simply posting the facts of my experience.

When did you have all of this trouble with Kifaru? It sounds like you found your LHR defective when you recieved it...??...correct?

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Don't get distracted. What do you want to call the cloven hooved mammals of varying type that we hunt?

You have no way of proving you don't spook game with black on, because spooked game won't often let you know they saw you and spooked. I cannot prove that your black pack/attire spooked game or not. Since neither party can prove anything, reason prevails, and reason would suggest that your elk more easily notices black move against earth vs earth moving against earth. That's a reasoned hypothesis on my part, and since I am not interested in crafting a series of experiments to prove same, a hypothesis it remains.

I don't and won't own one piece of camo hunting gear.

I think kifaru's DECISION to offer only black for may years was poor judgment. I think their offering of weight-adding fleece panels to the pack is comedy. I do not fault or deride in any way, those who bought their Kifaru gear because it functions well for them. I would propose that most bought their gear in spite of the black color. To me, the Model T color choice was silly, and indicative of poor judgement on the part of the mfg. If the user wants to defend Kifaru's color choice with vigor, and defend the remedial adding of weight to the pack to fix the color with equal vigor, then I really have no choice but to call their judgment into question as well.

Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Vek
I reckon you're the guy with the fanatical bent here. Consider rereading the first line of your signature. I'm just pointing out things that make no sense to me (and still don't, despite your efforts).

I'm the one with the fanatical bent? Don't think so. You've hung your hat on one thing--black color.

My opinion is, black doesn't matter. I've proven to my own satisfaction that a black pack or black gear makes no difference to the animals. Besides the K-pack, I used to own a pair of black wool pants when I hunted whitetails back east in the mountains of VA. They were the only warm pants I owned so that's what I wore. And I got my buck every year. What can I say, I was young and stupid and just went deer hunting. If I'd known that whitetails were ungulates, it would've made all the difference in the world. I could've gotten my buck every year while wearing stuff that knowledgeable guys approved of.

Not to mention, I could've avoided all firearms that were colored black, what was I thinking?

Your opinion is, the color black will impair a hunter's ability to kill animals, no doubt based on recent, "cutting-edge" research into "how ungulates see." Any time I see the word "ungulates" in a discussion like this, I know I'm in for some really fascinating dialogue.

And I'm the one with the fanatical bent?? That research on how ungulates see is useful though, it's been used to sell a pile of expensive camo. gear.

How about you, how many animals have you spooked with a black pack?

If you're wearing a black pack and spooking animals, most likely it's not the pack.

Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1OntarioJim, 1lessdog, 160user, 007FJ, 71 invisible), 2,444 guests, and 1,342 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,153
Posts18,484,265
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.