-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Awesome that the guys made the AllStar Squad. Some of my best memories!

GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
Guys, I've been busy with coyote calls, coaching my little guys allstar team and it's been flat out nasty hot.....I promise to finish up this comparison when time allows...
Good to have priorities. We'll wait. Have a happy 4th!

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by Eremicus
I have no experience with the Templar action nor do I know it's costs.
A Remington 700 action can have it's bolt handle secured with hex head screws.
The extractor can be changed to any kind of hook style, but long expereince has shown that the stock Remington extractor is so strong it can rip the head off of a stuck case. Those that fail, are either broken, or improperly installed.
They, the remington actions, have, with few modifications, been used in combat by both the US Marines and the US Army for alot of years now. They wouldn't keep'em if they didn't work. E

I have no issues with the factory extractor and actually prefer them, they work exceptionally good, but most of the time are not available in the customs, but dimensionally they are far ahead of a 700, the 1 pc bolt handle is nicer than using screws to attach a handle, the top end customs have better bolt timing and extraction surfaces, 8-40 base screws, a pinned recoil lug mostly bells and whistles but you also get consistantcy in my experience, so you pay more and get more!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan

The Defiance is a much better action in all reguards,even though a 700 is a good platform to build on, the 1 pc bolt adds peace of mind when in the field and is ready to build on from the beginning!

Glen makes one hell of an action. From looking at the pics of the Templar action, it makes you wonder if that's not whose building them?

I'm having a hard time deciding which length action I want from Glen... It's either a 338 WM or 338 Lapua next custom.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by DanAdair
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan

The Defiance is a much better action in all reguards,even though a 700 is a good platform to build on, the 1 pc bolt adds peace of mind when in the field and is ready to build on from the beginning!

Glen makes one hell of an action. From looking at the pics of the Templar action, it makes you wonder if that's not whose building them?

I'm having a hard time deciding which length action I want from Glen... It's either a 338 WM or 338 Lapua next custom.

The Templar is basically the same exact action as a Defiance Rebel and both are made by Glen and his crew at Defiance!

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Pat, thanks for your time with this thread.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Bump for a great thread and hoping for an update from scenar shooter

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
IIRC PT&G makes 1-pc bolts for Rems, BUT, having had Rems blueprinted (and one had a bolt handle fail - as in fall off), and also having customs like Stiller and Borden, I personally feel a custom action is a great investment in top tier quality.

Not that many off the shelf actions are not entirely fuctional and reliable, but it's just a sense of satisfaction knowing you have the best.

Those GAPs have a good reputation and many satisfied users no doubt.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Originally Posted by 65BR

Not that many off the shelf actions are not entirely fuctional and reliable, but it's just a sense of satisfaction knowing you have the best.

+1

Very well put....

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

"Wolfie", ready for another workout. The wind was out of the southeast at 10mph, with a temp of 66*F. Good conditions to test these rifles.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I shot the .308 first. I wanted 10 shots from each rifle. I held off exactly one MIL for drift. 1.2 would have been better. I finished the group even though I saw it was somewhat right.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Next up was the .260. I held one MIL for drift as well and that was perfect. Kind of expected with a bullet of higher velocity and BC....

I finished with one attempt at a head shot with each rifle, and one shot behind the shoulder from the same distance, after re-painting Wolfie.

[Linked Image]
[img]http://i423.photobucket.com/albums/pp311/patrickgsinclair/riflestest015.jpg[/img]

Throat shot with the .308 and the .260 shot clean on both hits.....they both hit perfect on the lung shot.

One thing that was evident, was the deeper impressions with the .260 left on the 3/8 mild steel. They were dug in quite a bit farther.

[img]http://i423.photobucket.com/albums/pp311/patrickgsinclair/riflestest016.jpg[/img]

Both rifles leave a pretty good mark at 623 yards...

I shot both rifles rapid fire, without letting them cool. I never really saw any real POI changes while I was shooting because of it. My opinion is, a good barrel that is bedded right will shoot well, hot or cold.

Both rifles zero range is 180 meters(elevation turret zero). The .260 had in 2.9 MILS elevation, the .308 had 3.4. Drift was .2 MILS less with 130gr VLD than the 155gr scenar(at 570M).

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wolfie got his butt whooped!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
I shot both rifles rapid fire, without letting them cool. I never really saw any real POI changes while I was shooting because of it. My opinion is, a good barrel that is bedded right will shoot well, hot or cold.

Very true!

But I would have doubted that statement prior to shooting some of your rifles.

Until then I'd never shot a rifle that barrel heat didn't affect somewhat.

Glad to see this thread resurrected!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Nice guns, good shooting.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
when i saw that head shot with the .260 on wolfie, i had to laugh--of course you heard the ring of steel come back;

but you are the only other person i know that could describe with an accurate phrase what that sound is like on a real predator when a headshot occurs:

"the sound of a wooden bat hitting a hardball..."

great shooting Pat!

as i promised, i'll call you back soon--got company here through the 15th, so its been hard to get some free time to just visit.

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Love the "Wolfie" report. I have been shooting my .308s more, while my .260 has been sitting in the safe. I guess I need to dust it off again.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Bump for a great thread!! Very informative and helpful.

Thanks Pat

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Pat: Are both barrels free-floated?

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Scenar, you mentioned the .308 is 6oz lighter. Do you know what the weight of your rifles are with the S&B?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If you're going to spring for a high-end rifle such as a GAP, get a custom action. Defiance/surgeon/nesika etc just feel 'high-quality' MUCH more than a trued 700. If you're looking for a measurable advantage, working the bolt on a custom action often will not bring your rifle off-target near as much as a trued 700. One of the reasons they're so popular in the benchrest crowd.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by slg888
Scenar, you mentioned the .308 is 6oz lighter. Do you know what the weight of your rifles are with the S&B?

Slg,

This is a GAP 308 with a Schmidt.

If I remember correctly, Pat's ran about 3 oz lighter than mine due to a slightly smaller barrel contour. Pretty insignificant difference IMO. Roughly the weight of a cartridge or two.

We weighed/compared them during the Spring shoot.

The 6 oz difference is between the 260/308 is due to the larger hole in the barrel(308) weghing less than the smaller hole barrel with the same exterior contour.

[Linked Image]

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 53 invisible), 2,553 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,475
Posts18,471,521
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.