Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
After the recent thread about the .264 I am curious about its modern debut. How would you introduce the cartridge to today's shooters in a magazine add? reflex264

[Linked Image]

.264 barrel current number of shots:2122
GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I'd think it would have to be to the long range crowd and packaged in a discussion of accuracy that the nebulous "something" caliber there couldn't already do. Probably tied to a ballistic factor that was "better" at distance than the standard load. Maybe tie it to a firearm model that was the rage.

I think the Weatherby title was the original seller, and the "ballistics from Weatherby just had to be good...didn't they, as Weatherby wouldn't back a lemon"? Performance in the market apparently didn't meet expectations.

I think the other factor is entry cost to the consumer, with a flat market, new purchases and expensive ammo don't move...I can't find 7mm-08 ammo local, but the $60 Weatherby boxes are stacked up. How do you market a $3 dollar a shot rifle, as a good return on investment? Have to be able to afford the rifle AND the ammo.

I think you'll see the same challenges in the archery realm today, the arrow speeds are capped at about 350 FPS, and the bows makers are stuggling to get a "new" bow into the market that is "really" different technology other than appearance. Just thought, and maybe not a great comparision, but it'll work for some readers.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"Power like a 7mm mag with recoil like a 257."

I can lie as well as anyone when I want to. grin

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Today???? I'd invest the money spent on research, developement and marketing a new cartridge.....on improving and upgrading my existing rifles.....using "conventional" rounds.

Of course, since the "current" shooter seems to approve of such features as a Synthetic (plastic) stock (instead of searching for (and properly bedding) decent walnut), Matt finish (too cheap to actually polish the action/barrel) and optics with "magic" features (instead of actually learning the ballistics of a round and using them)......these "upgrades" might be in vain.

The current shooter typically has no knowlege, taste or appreciation for what makes a truely "great" rifle and the idea of a "new" magical round might just sell.....for a while. In the long run, it is the "great" rifle that will last....not the round being used.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by TexasRick
Today???? I'd invest the money spent on research, developement and marketing a new cartridge.....on improving and upgrading my existing rifles.....using "conventional" rounds.

Of course, since the "current" shooter seems to approve of such features as a Synthetic (plastic) stock (instead of searching for (and properly bedding) decent walnut), Matt finish (too cheap to actually polish the action/barrel) and optics with "magic" features (instead of actually learning the ballistics of a round and using them)......these "upgrades" might be in vain.

The current shooter typically has no knowlege, taste or appreciation for what makes a truely "great" rifle and the idea of a "new" magical round might just sell.....for a while. In the long run, it is the "great" rifle that will last....not the round being used.

Well... It seems that you just described about half the members of this August forum... grin laugh smile

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by reflex264
How would you introduce the cartridge to today's shooters in a magazine add?

Would hafta be a catchy handle,smart advertising campaign as techno doesn't sell the masses..IMO

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
GH et.al. - I am honestly NOT prejudiced against any of the 6.5s. I am a new owner of the Swede.

However, IMSincereO - I don't think you can PR it into the public's mind. The 264 M has been around for a long time. The buying General Public, as has been stated, are not gun loonys and the round is a 'niche' round between 25-06 - 270W- 7mRm.

IMO, in the mind of the 'public gun buying sector', it is either too big for what they want OR it is too small.

I agree that with its high BCs it should make an excellent long range round. But how many 'hunters' know anything about BC or SD?

I can tell all-y'all the vast majority of deer hunters I've known KNOW NOTHING about ballistics, and that's too bad.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'd open with a sequence of dramatic videos, puncutated by hard rock guitars in the background...sequences of water jugs exploding,and divets blown out of boulders at 1200 yards...the shooters would be camo-clad.Kestrals,Palm Pilots,and tripod mounted LRF's in abundance

As the coup de grace,I'd have some bull elk snuffed lifeless at some distance beyond 800 yards....the screen goes blank...and then in Gothic print with dragons in the background,the words encripted:

264 Winchester Magnum......Any Questions?

Last edited by BobinNH; 05/31/12.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You are hired!! grin

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
jwall,

I quite agree with your assessment. smile For whatever reason, the GBP have ALWAYS turned their respective backs on about anything 6.5.

As far as the .264 goes, the damage is already done and I'd think irreversable. frown Speaking entirely for myself... I'm drawn to about anything that is off the mainstream of popularity... That must be why my three least favorite cartridges are the .30-06, .243 Win, and 7mm Mag! smile

Winchester obviously made a mistake in the .264 by inserting a 26 caliber bullet in it. If they'd put a .284 bullet in it, they'd likely have had a winner right from the get-go... (But I think it's too late for that now...) grin

BTW, it's whole lot easier to see what the right thing is after you already done the wrong thing... Or... at least when someone else has done the wrong thing... grin

GH

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I think if I had to market the .264 today, I'd spread some money around Capitol Hill and get it adopted as a military sniper round. No military round has ever failed to sell well when offered in civvies.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I suspect the belt would have to disappear for the .264 to have a chance today. Maybe neck down the .375 Ruger case.

THEN go with Bob's rolling thunder commercial!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
An ad with the picture with the muzzle of a Pre-64 Model 70 in sharp focus with the hunter out of focus in the background and caption it...."The .264 Magnum....it makes a helluva noise and packs a helluva wallop" or something along those lines. grin

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Now, who woulda thought of that!?!

I quoted that ad in an article on the .264, and the copy editor changed helluva to "heckuva," apparently because she thought some people would be offended.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I suspect the belt would have to disappear for the .264 to have a chance today. Maybe neck down the .375 Ruger case.

Let's market it...might catch on! smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd put Donald Draper on it!

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
When the 264 was introduced it was pretty much limited to the model 70 as none of the other companies were quick to jump on board. It generally carried a premium price as many came with SS barrels as it was reported to eat barrels up rapidly. The fact that it was only marginally faster than a 270 w/o extra long barrels did not help with the gbp and finally there was that whole metric thing working against it. Actually I am surprised it has lasted as well as it has. In 2012 I probably would not bother as it still has those same issues. I know that th current trend is for the looneys to get all fired up at the perceived advantage of the published BC of 264 bullets but in the field it is just not noticeable enough for the gbp to justify the blast , long barrel and cost of shooting a 264 magnum.

Last edited by bangeye; 05/31/12.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Put Obama's '08 campaign people on it.
If they can sell HIM, they can sell anything!

Pete

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by bangeye
When the 264 .......

and finally there was that whole metric thing working against it. Actually I am surprised it has lasted as well as it has.

.264 WM - Where's the 'metric thing'. I know it's the same but it was not listed as a 6.5.

Just an observation -- no problem.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Yes take Bob's appeal (?) for the commercial anyway + lose the belt.

Then make the case 'something like' the 300 S M and give it a new moniker. Something like super pooter but DROP 264 WM as well.

I speculate that IF you gave it identical ballistics to the 264 WM in the new wrapping, case & name, it could do well. Again IMO the GBP would never know the diff or the sameness of the cartridges.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 1234, 58 invisible), 2,092 guests, and 1,130 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,664
Posts18,493,675
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.