Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
H
Harry M Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson

GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have noticed this being an issue for the last few years. To me the 1st Amendment is only subordinate in importance of the 2nd Amendment. Information is one of the most power tools citizens have to shape their government and their lives.

Being a former LEO, I am an ardent supporter of law enforcement. However most of the incidents involving arresting people for recording or photographing police officers, or even confiscating their equipment, I can see no justification for the officers actions.

Most agencies and officers in Kentucky know the law, and we have only had a few problems with seizing equipment or arresting journalist or citizen journalist. But we do have a problem with government officials trying to keep records and information secret.

NRA Benefactor Member
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Wow! What is going to be needed to stop this? Court after court have ruled these arrests violations of the right of the press. The right of the press doesn't even refer to just those employed by a news agency. It's anyone wishing to observe and record events for the purpose of informing the public, so long as they're not violating anyone's right while doing it.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Wow! What is going to be needed to stop this?
Those doing it are going to have to pay a high price for doing so. Personally, I think every LEO should be trained on the issue. Then the next time they arrest someone for taking video or pictures, knowing they have no right to make an arrest, there are very serious consequences for doing so.

NRA Benefactor Member
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
there are always going to be stupid cops trying to cover their asses, but the law is extremely clear on this. every time a case comes up the citizen wins and the cop loses......need some disincentives, like firing, to get through to some, apparently.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, some people just never got the memo, so they need to get the message some other way. Ever notice it happens mostly with big city PDs? I wonder what their in-service training is like.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I get the point of the video, but why are all the Cops wearing bullet resistant vests? Chitcago doesn't allow guns and bullets, correct? crazy

Gunner

Last edited by gunner500; 06/01/12.

Trump Won!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This is going to turn into a chit storm before this is over.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
there are always going to be stupid cops trying to cover their asses, but the law is extremely clear on this. every time a case comes up the citizen wins and the cop loses......need some disincentives, like firing, to get through to some, apparently.
Wouldn't this cop be found liable in a law suit under US Code - Section 1983: Civil action for deprivation of rights?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dad was on the force when I was a kid.
He said all while I was growing up the only things keeping this a free country and keeping gov from becoming complete tyrants are first and second amendments and our determination to keep them. If they are lost there will be war.

I've watched them erode all my life.
And most people join right up as if it's for their own good, like concealed carry permits for instance. (permit means permission, like a little kid "can I have a piece of candy?")

The second amendment is our concealed carry permit.
People forgot the importance of "nip it in the bud".

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Archerhunter
He said all while I was growing up the only things keeping this a free country and keeping gov from becoming complete tyrants are first and second amendments and our determination to keep them. If they are lost there will be war.

And most people join right up as if it's for their own good, like concealed carry permits for instance. (permit means permission, like a little kid "can I have a piece of candy?")

Very true. Instead of "shall issue," our fight should have been for "Constitutional Carry" from the start.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If people allow things go too far the only way to return America to her original upright position, short of all out war against the government (ie, kill them all) will be to remove authorities that have been afforded them.

You can bet your bottom dollar police officers (and all government employees) who are disallowed use and ownership of firearms while in service of the people would be polite police officers.

Turn all the cameras on them.
Turn all the guns on them.
Yank the slack out of them mighty quick and once again have public servants rather than rulers.

Rulers rule. Servants serve.
It's really not difficult to understand.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"Chicago police officer" that tells me all I need to know. If I was going to pick a place to show typical LEO's, that would be the last place on my list. What we see doesn't say so much about the LEO's in the video as it does about their leadership.

Harry
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
As a former Peace Officer with most of my family still involved I say the us of cameras by all folks are a good thing, keeps the marginal honest and the honest & righteous don't mind a bit.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by T LEE
As a former Peace Officer with most of my family still involved I say the us of cameras by all folks are a good thing, keeps the marginal honest and the honest & righteous don't mind a bit.

Lots of folks really miss your type of honesty and character, sir.

"The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen" - Dennis Prager LINK

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by oulufinn
Originally Posted by T LEE

Lots of folks really miss your type of honesty and character, sir.

1+

I still see it in most all of the LEO's I have come into contact with. I can only think of one that would fit right in with the bunch in the video.

Last edited by Mathsr; 06/01/12.

Harry
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Make no mistake, this happens in all 50 states. It is just way more prevalent in places like Chicago and New England.

NRA Benefactor Member
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I don't know why any LEO would object to being filmed, after all if they have nothing to hide, why don't they just submit? smile Similar to when they want to search something without a warrant.

<SARCASM>

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by MOCoyote
I don't know why any LEO would object to being filmed, after all if they have nothing to hide, why don't they just submit? smile Similar to when they want to search something without a warrant.

<SARCASM>

I think a lot of it is a power issue.

NRA Benefactor Member
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Very true. Instead of "shall issue," our fight should have been for "Constitutional Carry" from the start.

there is the twisted Paulist though process at its essence....instead of two thirds of the states now having shall issue CCW, the Paulie steering committee would have wasted its time on "constitutional carry" and accomplished zero.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

203 members (12344mag, 01Foreman400, 257 roberts, 1badf350, 16penny, 44mc, 20 invisible), 1,724 guests, and 887 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,652
Posts18,512,721
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.