-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A local funstore had one of the DSA's for $1300 a while back, including the scope mount/top rail, and some other accessories. If it had a full length barrel, I might have jumped, but it had a 16" and 16" .308's are no damn fun frown

There is a CAI/Imbel locally, for $850, but the stockwork is crap, so that would have to be changed, and the rear sight is fixed, for some odd reason.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by jimmyp
as far as I am concerned an FAL is a barbell.

Can't do power cleans with it, not enough spin. A Pendlay is much better. When you get to where you can power clean your body weight for reps, wielding that FAL won't be much of an issue.

a young bull and an old bull were on top of a hill looking down at a herd of cows, the young bull said "let's run down there and screw one of those cows", the old bull said "let's walk down there and screw them all". I prefer to expend my energy on the screwing them all part and not the running part.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
as far as I am concerned an FAL is a barbell.

Can't do power cleans with it, not enough spin. A Pendlay is much better. When you get to where you can power clean your body weight for reps, wielding that FAL won't be much of an issue.

a young bull and an old bull were on top of a hill looking down at a herd of cows, the young bull said "let's run down there and screw one of those cows", the old bull said "let's walk down there and screw them all". I prefer to expend my energy on the screwing them all part and not the running part.
A bull older than both of them glanced over and saw the farmer bringing out some new feed in a couple of buckets. The two horny youngsters didn't see him. The old bull said, "y'all go ahead and I'll be along directly,". The young bull ran and the old bull followed. The young bull had a couple of the heifers screwed by the time the older bull got there but about then the farmer's son pulled up with a gooseneck trailer and loaded all of them including the two bulls, to take to the slaughter house.

"The hell with the old bull," said the young man.

So the old bull sat there and had a nice meal while the two younger ones were trying to screw the cows on the way to their deaths. About then the old farmer dumped some new replacement heifers in his pasture. With a full belly the oldest bull ambled down and mounted one.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
as a sniper I wouldn't entertain dragging my zero'd weapon 500 yards through mud and muck without it being cased. At least I don't think I would.

That being said never had an FAL, thought they looked cool, haven't heard much bad about them.

But then have had M1As since the late 80s, and have shot them in all kinds of weather, pretty much goof proof basically.

And then we get back to SHTF stuff... the tin foil hats are out again. Shouldn't we have a 22 instead of an FAL. Grins.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Two bulls were watching as this cattle trailer pulled onto a ranch and stopped. The driver got out and opened the rear of the trailer and out stepped the absolute baddest bull on earth. A Bramha that stood nearly 11ft at the top of his hump, gobs of testosterone laced snot pouring out of his nose as he looked straight at the two bulls.

The two bulls looked at each other and one says to the other, "Here goes nothing" and runs toward the giant. His pard hollers at him, "Are you crazy?". The first bull hollers back, "I just want to make sure he KNOWS I'M A BULL!"

Moral of the story?

If you don't wanna get [bleep], get a barbell.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
You want to torture a good story to justify your point of view. I owned some 308 semi autos, now I don't, knock yourself out with your barbell, I will just stay up here on top of the hill a bit longer.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
You want to torture a good story to justify your point of view. I owned some 308 semi autos, now I don't, knock yourself out with your barbell, I will just stay up here on top of the hill a bit longer.

TORTURE!? You're from GA and you don't recognize the blatant theft of one of the late great Jerry Clower's finest?

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Just shoot amongst us, one of us needs some relief...

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
My STG58 was an MOA rifle with a 4x scope.

I'm a real fan of the FAL, but I've never seen one, including the original FN's that were MOA except on the internet. Seen and read about a number of people that pissed away a ton of money trying to make an FAL MOA, they end up poorer and diasapointed.

The FAL/L1A1 is a good, solid, reliable, battle rifle. And just like the rack grade M14 and G3 its good for 3-4 inches, just like its supposed to be.

Oh, you may get one group that measures one inch at 100 yards like I did. But I'll bet a case of beer that it will never get that lucky again in either that rifle's or my lifetime.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Metplat
I put aside childish things...

All this back and forth about this and that concerning the AR rifle...

I had to clear my mind with some clear thoughts:

http://www.dsarms.com/SA58-FAL-Carbine-PARA-Rifle-308-Cal----SA58CP18/productinfo/SA58CP18/

Someday....

When the bills are paid...

When the wife is in a good mood...

When my ship comes in...

When you become a man you will learn couth. There are some here who have used AR15 platforms (using iron sights)to win championships at rather long distances. Distances that you would likely consider optics/.308 only ranges.

There are also some here who have carried M4/M16 series on enemy soil and used them in defense of Freedom. Freedom for you to say stupid things. Freedom for others to remove all doubt.

You may want to reflect upon that.

Cheers friend.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

IC B3

M
Metplat Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Thanks for the advice.

Last edited by Metplat; 06/01/12.

7mm 7mm 7mm
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Meplat

I read what you wrote about me being thin skinned, worshipping at the alter of the overpriced delicate autoloading varmint rifle, etc, etc, before you edited the insults, you being a veteran etc.

I thank you for the chuckle. I don't know much about AR's .308s or weapons in general, so I will have to rely on your expertise on those subjects.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Mackay you have my utmost respect. Many here do not know you. Thanks for what you do and have done.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Ted I would've thought you would have picked up on a thing or two... grin.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by Metplat
I put aside childish things...

All this back and forth about this and that concerning the AR rifle...

I had to clear my mind with some clear thoughts:

http://www.dsarms.com/SA58-FAL-Carbine-PARA-Rifle-308-Cal----SA58CP18/productinfo/SA58CP18/

Someday....

When the bills are paid...

When the wife is in a good mood...

When my ship comes in...

You can get this much sooner over on falfiles.com in the marketplace.

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Better living through chemistry!
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
EH76,

Thank you for the kind words.

I have been in the high country for the last few days. The snow is coming off fast.

TWR,

Somewhere along the ways, I have slowly let a few things sink in.

The funny part is (as you well know)that as someone who has been issued the SR25 platform and am a little bit familiar with their strengths and weaknesses (from the standpoint of both armorer and operator), I would not be so childish or ignorant as to call my fellow co workers or competition shooters less than a man for shooting a standard AR platform.

Perhaps we are seeing some bleed over from AR15.com...

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
wink

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by bea175
would rather have a M-14 then the FAL, but for now i will keep the AR over both.

Not me, and I've run a BUNCH of OPM (other people's ammo) through both. Two countries bought M14's. How many bought FAL's?

Take an M14 and drag it across the ground for about 500yd (think sniper stalk) and let me know how well it runs. BTDT.

Adoption of a platform has less to do with the weapon's quality than the politics or cost-effectiveness. That being said, I'd still rather have an FAL, since making a modern-styled M1A is VERY expensive... Though, on that note, since Century FALs seem to have dried up, the PTR91 GI seems to be the best deal.

I just wish Saiga .308s had cheap mags!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 19rabbit52, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 60 invisible), 2,900 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,314
Posts18,526,322
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.