Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
BH is a detuned smokeless powder. It's the only BP sub that has to be cleaned with smokeless solvents. All the rest are can be cleaned with soap and water, or just water if you like.

I guess to be a BP sub all it needs to do is measure in volume the same as BP with similar power.

It's biggest advantage is no swabbing between shots with no loss in accuracy. You can take 100 shots with no swabbing, and the 100th shot will load as easily as the first. It's also very consistent, and collect no moisture.

Hardly what BP, or subs should do, but there it is.

That's kind of what I thought. Heck, if a guy is going to shoot the old timey calibers out of old timey firearms using a BP substitute than use a BP substitute not a watered down white powder substitute.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
BH 209 is used mostly in modern inline muzzleloaders. It takes a 209 primer to fire it off.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by derby_dude

I guess to be a BP sub all it needs to do is measure in volume the same as BP with similar power.

It's biggest advantage is no swabbing between shots with no loss in accuracy. You can take 100 shots with no swabbing, and the 100th shot will load as easily as the first. It's also very consistent, and collect no moisture.

That's kind of what I thought. Heck, if a guy is going to shoot the old timey calibers out of old timey firearms using a BP substitute than use a BP substitute not a watered down white powder substitute.

....whatever the [bleep] THAT means. crazy

I wish you guys would take this " BP Substitute" chit and [bleep] right off.

There ARE other Forums on this place for discussing these interminably STUPID inanities

Last edited by crossfireoops; 06/01/12.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
BH209 is non-corrosive. All other subs (and blackpowder) are highly corrosive.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"I worship the quicksand he walks in."
- Art Buchwald

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Originally Posted by derby_dude

....whatever the [bleep] THAT means. crazy

I wish you guys would take this " BP Substitute" chit and [bleep] right off.

There ARE other Forums on this place for discussing these interminably STUPID inanities

Just setting the record straight on subs.

Last edited by Mauser_Hunter; 06/02/12.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Just setting the record straight on subs.

I have the old Fart on ignore so I usually don't have any idea of what he said.

I figured you were just setting the record straight. I look at the so-called BP substitutes especially from Hodgdon as just another type of BP. Back in the day, there were dozens of different BP with different qualities. Everybody�s mileage will certainly very.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
It's not like subs aren't used in BPCR. So, are we off topic?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
APDDSN0864,

The rifling of .32 Specials is also 1-16", much slower than the .30-30's 1-12, which also helps when shooting black powder.

One of the reasons for making the .32 more BP friendly than the .30-30 is that a lot of people didn't want to fool with smokeless reloading in its early years, since some shooters blew up rifles due to not understanding the difference between BP and smokeless. Also, black powder was a LOT cheaper than smokeless for many years, unlike today.

Several years ago I loaded black powder in a Winchester Model 94 .32 Special made in 1952. I tried it both with 170-grain jacketed bullets and a cast SAECO 170 designed for the .32-40. The load was a full case of Goex FFF, and it shot pretty well, though to a very different point of impact than smokeless loads, due to a muzzle velocity of about 1400 fps. The first .32 Special 94's often had flip-up sights (either rear or front) to compensate for the difference in POI.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

No if you read the NRA rules the only sub allowed is Pyrodex. I don't recall seeing anybody even near the highscores in any class using the stuff.
I'm also guessing you're not shooting the Colo state sillouette championships at Watkins today, and we probably won't see you on the roster for the Creedmoor at Byers tommorrow?

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
No you won't, but i'm not sure what that has to do with anything. The only LR shooting i've done is at CAS events.

I'm mostly a hunter, but have a lot of years with Swiss powder. My favorite BP.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nothing done in CAS even comes close to long range, most of the "long range" targets shot in the single action squib society world are what those of us in bpcr shoot at from offhand position.
I'm still waiting for someone somewhere to use one of the "subs" to at least place in even the "gong" matches....
Might out to trot out to the CRC tommorrow morning and watch the boys go to work on the Creedmoor range. You could learn something...

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One more point for your consideration, when you mentioned you've shot more blackpowder than Oops ever will.... For every 4 of your CAS rounds you might come up to the same amount as one of his beloved 45-100 rounds, of which I would hate to think about how many thousands of those he sent down range when he was fully involved with bpcr sillouettes and target rifle.....

www.historicshooting.com
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I sense some condescending attitude here, and that's putting it lightly. Sort of reminds me of fly fisherman that use bamboo rods. I'm one of those without the attitude.

It's all shooting, and nobody is better than anybody else.

I'm not going to even bother addressing any of your points. I came on this sub forum to help. Not get talked down to.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Yes, and a [bleep]' idiot, to boot, apparently.

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Don,....remember when "Big Jim" and I teamed up for that "Great Black Powder shoot Off" series of articles ? ( a few others here will too,.....)

Page after page of SD's, ES's, and all linked to charge weights ?
Swiss, Goex, Schuetzen, and elephant ?

HUNDREDs of pounds of powder got burnt, doing that, and literally TONS of lead were consumed / recovered.
Now some SASS type is beaking off about "Experience" based on weight?

"Mauser Hunter" can go pound sand where the [bleep]' Sun don't shine, ....and ALL of these azzwholes oughta take this "BP Substitute" chit elsewhere.

GTC

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I sense some condescending attitude here, and that's putting it lightly. Sort of reminds me of fly fisherman that use bamboo rods. I'm one of those without the attitude.

It's all shooting, and nobody is better than anybody else.

I'm not going to even bother addressing any of your points. I came on this sub forum to help. Not get talked down to.

Please do not "Bother"

azzwhole

GTC

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No you won't, but i'm not sure what that has to do with anything. The only LR shooting i've done is at CAS events.

I'm mostly a hunter, but have a lot of years with Swiss powder. My favorite BP.

Minute of Volkswagon Bus accuracy requirements springs immediately to mind.

GTC

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Where do these idiots come from?

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
36,490 posts, and not one of them worth reading.

You must be a teenager.

Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (1minute, 264magnum, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 160user, 10gaugemag, 65 invisible), 2,325 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,538
Posts18,491,436
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.