Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
My wife and I got up early this morning to go to the monthly cowboy action match of the Comanche Trail Shooters out of Midland, Tx. I've been working 100+ hours per week for the past 9 months since moving here to west Texas, and was really, really, REALLY looking forward to this first chance to shoot a match in the area.

Bottom line, it was a cluster-[bleep] of epic proportion.

The club, the Comanche Trail Shooters, had hopeless directions to their range on their website. Despite calling for clarification, the directions were beyond obscure.

The woman (and I only call her that because she has sparse facial hair) who owns the place is a human tarantula. I took a wrong turn on the property, and despite multiple apologies for an honest mistake, I was asked to leave.

I have been shooting club matches--cowboy, IDPA, and IPSC--for a long time, in places that were beyond humble, yet the people were welcoming. But today, I was shocked and appalled at the vitriol a man can receive for taking a wrong turn. I have never been treated so shabbily. (Shabilly? Whatever.)

In any case, Jakes Clay's can go [bleep] themselves.

For that matter, I have yet to have any experience in Midland TX (other than buying boots at Cavender's, they're a good lot, them) to suggest that Midland TX should not be the Pentagon's next nuclear test site.

Just venting. No personal insults intended.

But [bleep] Midland, and the harridan that owns the Jake's Clays range, just the same.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Chamber of Commerce apparently didn't get the memo.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Yeah. I called.

They said they didnt give a [bleep].

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's Bush's fault...

had to be said.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Sorry to hear, DR. I've been there too. Not the actual place, but standing in your shoes, wiping the remnants of a shyt on rye sandwich from my lip, with little legal recourse, and choking on your rage because you're smart enough to have *not* done what you wanted to. The deserved response and one accepted once upon a time when honor meant something, you wanted it so bad you could...Well, you know. I get sour just hearing of people getting beat by vermin.

Have a brew, and put your feet up, sir. Tomorrow's another day. Come take it out on ducks this year.

H.L. Mencken had a way with the word...

'Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats...'

Last edited by kamo_gari; 06/03/12.
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I shot an IPSC match in Abilene once back in 85. They took my entry fee and gave me my number and I proceeded to win the match. When they handed out the awards I didn't get one. I asked what was up. They said I wasn't a member of the club so I couldn't receive an award. I pointed out that they took my entry fee and they said that was nice. It was for the pleasure of shooting in the match, but only club members were eligible to receive awards. Wasn't written anywhere. That was the last time I visited Abilene.

ps They shoot poorly.

Dan

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
I shot an IPSC match in Abilene once back in 85. They took my entry fee and gave me my number and I proceeded to win the match. When they handed out the awards I didn't get one. I asked what was up. They said I wasn't a member of the club so I couldn't receive an award. I pointed out that they took my entry fee and they said that was nice. It was for the pleasure of shooting in the match, but only club members were eligible to receive awards. Wasn't written anywhere. That was the last time I visited Abilene.

ps They shoot poorly.

Dan

Did you contact IPSC about this?

Governing bodies of organizations don't like their patrons being treated like [bleep] it always rolls down hill long term.

I've though of shooting at Midland since my daughter lives in Texas on several occasions and it just never happened. Maybe I didn't miss much. But shooing NBRSA for years now that doesn't seem like the norm for people connected with this type of shooting activity.

Last edited by 17ACKLEYBEE; 06/03/12.

NRA Lifetime Member
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
It's been a long time since I shot a cowboy match, but I always found the people involved in CAS to be some of the most laid back and friendly I have ever met.

That said, I never tried to shoot in Midland Texas, at the Hairy Lady sideshow end of the trail rezendevous, either.

Sorry it was a waste of your time.

It being Texas, surely there is another club shooting somewhere close by.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Midland is interested in two things: Oil and Money.

If you're not flashing one of those around they are the rudest, [bleep] on the planet.

I'm all for re-drawing the boundaries and letting New Mexico take in Midland.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Makes a man want to pull for Panther MOJO this fall.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide

...almost.

MOJO is so ingrained Odessa Permian's culture they expect their teams to win. A movie was even made about them, Friday Night Lights.

I can't root for that either.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DocRocket
My wife and I got up early this morning to go to the monthly cowboy action match of the Comanche Trail Shooters out of Midland, Tx. I've been working 100+ hours per week for the past 9 months since moving here to west Texas, and was really, really, REALLY looking forward to this first chance to shoot a match in the area.

Bottom line, it was a cluster-[bleep] of epic proportion.

Doc,

Hats off to you for working yous ass off. You deserve better than you got. Sorry for the screwed-up weekend. If you make it to Michigan let me know in advance and I'll grill you a good steak and feed you some beers and give you all the competition I can muster. I probably "ain't" in your league, by we'll try. smile

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide

...almost.

MOJO is so ingrained Odessa Permian's culture they expect their teams to win. A movie was even made about them, Friday Night Lights.

I can't root for that either.

Yeah, I read that book years before they made the movie. Just remembered that Midland and Odessa Permian were a big rivalry.

Ol' Boobie Miles didn't want to take the word of a Doctor from Midland that he ought not play with his knee. Should have, though.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E

If you're not flashing one of those around they are the rudest, [bleep] on the planet.

We in New Mexico don't want Midland!

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Doc,

have you taken your Wisconsin license plates off, yet? grin

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Damn sorry to hear that Doc, but you realize it is THEIR loss not yours Sir.

You are ever down this way on the third Sunday of the month I'll take you out to the Desoto Range and you can shoot with the Tater Hill Gunfighters, A GREAT bunch.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

have you taken your Wisconsin license plates off, yet

I'm tellin' ya, Doc' is a rabble rouser of the highest order. 'Tween all the newly minted speedin' tickets he's responsible for, and now his having violated property rights, he's going to end up in a fix.

Damn Ya- (aw never mind).

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

I will have to respectfully disagree 'dood. Although there are some of those types around, they're certainly not the norm. I'd have to say Midland folks are amongst the most friendly, and charitable that I've ever been around. I have lived all over the place too. There are lots and lots of very generous people, family's and charitable foundations here. Lot's of good deeds are done. To characterize Midland any other way is just not factual.

Doc, sorry to hear of your experience. I don't know those people/facility from Adam, and I'd probably be pissed too. I'd like to offer you this.....if/when you get back up here, I'll make sure you have a good time, and experience the good things of Midland, TX. There are lots of 'em.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
JG, of course you're right. There's a few bad apples in every bushel. It doesn't spoil the whole bushel tho.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
We in New Mexico don't want Midland!

You'll claim Hobbs, but don't want Midland ? Seriously? smile

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

148 members (160user, 30incher, 35, 257robertsimp, 10gaugemag, 426crown, 13 invisible), 16,855 guests, and 959 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,880
Posts18,538,214
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
Yesterday at 04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.