Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Lookin to purchase a rifle for AK trip for moose and possibly bear (most likely black bear). Any opinions on .300 WSM for this purpose? I'd like to get some feedback from people who actually have experience with this weapon, not just sales hype. Pros and cons? Reservations?

thx for the info in advance

GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I have a McWhorter Custom 300WSM and it's very accurate and deadly with Winchester 150gr NBT'S.I've killed several deer and large hogs with it.I would have no reservations on using it for moose and black bear.
I know a few people who have taken moose and bears with a 7-08 so a 300WSM should work fine.I HOPE YOU find what your looking for.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by scottydog
Lookin to purchase a rifle for AK trip for moose and possibly bear (most likely black bear). Any opinions on .300 WSM for this purpose? I'd like to get some feedback from people who actually have experience with this weapon, not just sales hype. Pros and cons? Reservations?

Why not go with the good ol 30-06???? You could load up some tsx's or heavy C&C or controlled expansion bullets (nosler partitions) and be good to go.....5 in the magazine vs 3 for the wsm typically.....Ammo availability would be better for the 06 vs. the wizzum in AK too....Just a couple things to think about..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I own a Remington 700 with a 26" stainless fluted barrel and laminated thumbhole stock, it shoots 1 1/2" groups at 200 yards. Flat shooting, hits hard. I haven't killed anything with it but I'm betting it's lights out on moose.

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Why not go with the good ol 30-06???? You could load up some tsx's or heavy C&C or controlled expansion bullets (nosler partitions) and be good to go.....5 in the magazine vs 3 for the wsm typically.....Ammo availability would be better for the 06 vs. the wizzum in AK too....Just a couple things to think about..

Despite being tragically unhip, this is a really good thought... '06s have been working for bears and moose for over a century, I see no reason why that would have changed in the last couple of years.

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Couple questions for the OP. 1) Do you reload? 2) Are you going with a full guide?

If you don't reload the '06 idea is superb. If you are being full guided I highly doubt any possible shot will be over 100yds (I suspect). Another argument for the '06. Of course, a 338 WM would take away any doubt but the recoil may be an issue. Sounds like a fun trip.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I had a Sako m75 Greywolf 300WSM and sold it couple years ago to a buddy in my Moose Camp group that wanted to upgrade. I already had a Sako m75ss 300WM.

180gr Accubonds are the medicine we prefer to use. I reload since 2005 but most of my buds use factory WS ammo in the Accubonds or XP3's.

Out of my friends in camp, we have four 300WM (3-Sako m75ss / 1 Winchester Shadow), one 300WSM in the Greywolf and two 270WSM's (Tikka T3's).

We all have taken several moose over the years. Started with my best bud when we bought our Sako m75ss's new back in 1997 and since 2005, our camp has added a few friends!!

Moose have been taken as close as 14 metres and as far as almost 500 metres...1 shot kills. This bull I took on the first day on the late day hunt after we got camp setup.
[Linked Image]
Called the bull in...heard himm crashing thru the creek and flood water, then thru the brush to the cutline. 1-shot about 150 metres. Took the pics after the bull was dressed out as we had only about 20 minutes of legal light left (I'm the one with the bigger smile!!). But that was the easy part. The trip back to camp was a WHOLE nother story. Oh the memories!!! lol

180gr Accubonds or TTSX's would be my next choice for reloads.

IMO, if you reload, go 300WM.

Either one, you wont be sorry. A Sako m75 / m85 SS or Finnlight model would be my first choice in rifle. BTW I did take a few elk with the 300WSM before I sold it. My 300WM is my traditional moose camp rifle for me.

Last edited by MightyPeace; 06/02/12.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
If you wanna spend, id go Kimber Montana in 300 or 325 WSM. If you want mid price gun Id go 700 XCR II in 300 or 338 win.

A 325 Montana has Bullwinkle written all over it...

Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

If I were smart enough, which apparently I'm not
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
them short mags seem like they ought to do the job quite easily. I too have a liking for the .30-06 but that short mag should be an easy carry and what is not to like about the 180 grain or larger bullets. Moose hunting is alot of enjoyment and most .30 calibers do such a fine job of taking them down that you will not be dissappointed. Blackies to me are easily taken so the WSM will work just fine. If for whatever reason you encounter grizzlies that rifle will give good comfort and if needed enough oooomph to take them down. Maybe one day I will get me a WSM....probably the 7mm WSM. enjoy the hunt.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

...........I have no cons or reservations owning a 300 WSM. Before buying my 300 WSM in early 2007 I did own and reloaded a 300 Win for 35+ yearvg s. There isn`t anything a 300 Win can do that a 300 WSM cannot do. According to the 49th edition Lyman manual, the 300 WSM runs on average 30-50 fps behind the 300 Win given the same barrel lengths.

However if you reload, just make sure that you fully size all of your casings. Partially sizing 300 WSM casings which have the sharper 35 degree shoulder may not be conducive to smoother feeding as I found out on my very first batch of reloads. Since fully sizing every casing from that point forward I have never had any feeding issues whatsoever.

Just as with a 30-06 or with any other 300 mag, for your stated purposes, a 300 WSM is about as ideal a 30 caliber as you can get. Because 300 WSM rifles weigh a little less on average than the longer action rifles, if added recoil won`t be a problem for you then go for a 300 WSM.

Compared to the 30-06, you get more frosting on the cake with a 300 WSM. Remember too that you can always down load a 300 WSM to approximate mid to high 30-06 performance levels but the reverse cannot be done.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by KDK
Despite being tragically unhip, this is a really good thought... '06s have been working for bears and moose for over a century, I see no reason why that would have changed in the last couple of years.

What would we have to talk about if we all shot 270's & 30-06's?

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
...........I have no cons or reservations owning a 300 WSM. Before buying my 300 WSM in early 2007 I did own and reloaded a 300 Win for 35+ years. There isn`t anything a 300 Win can do that a 300 WSM cannot do.

Pretty glowing commendation. Could not agree more.

The 300 WSM was what I wanted when I bought my 308 in 1977. Now I have both.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
...........I have no cons or reservations owning a 300 WSM. Before buying my 300 WSM in early 2007 I did own and reloaded a 300 Win for 35+ years. There isn`t anything a 300 Win can do that a 300 WSM cannot do.

Pretty glowing commendation. Could not agree more.

The 300 WSM was what I wanted when I bought my 308 in 1977. Now I have both.

Yes, I could accept that and I have nothing against the 300WSM.

It's just that I've had the WM since I don't remember when. For me to move to a WSM, I'd have to RE-tool. I'm satisfied w/the 300 WM so I feel no need nor desire to change.

Really - 1/2" of rifle length is nothing to me AND the belt is a NON issue.

For someone wanting/needing a 300 'today', I would suggest they seriously look the WSM over. Take a close look at all aspects.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by KDK

True grin. I have to say that KDK, fifth and I have 300 wsm's so we were just giving examples or scenerios. I'd like to hear the OP answer some of the questions brought up. That would give us more of an idea of what would work best for him....Would I take my 300 wsm to AK? Hell yes!!! Do I handload? Yes...... Would I still be chit out of luck if I lost my ammo and had to scrounge some up at some podunk convenient store...Maybe: If they have 300 wsm, they would probably want an arm and a leg for it. That's another thing, compare prices between the 06 and the WSM (even here in most states) and you might be surprised....If I were to take 2 rifles to AK, it would be my 06 and 338 win mag but the op has to make that decision for himself.....

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
No I don't reload- at least at this point. This is my first foray into rifledom, as I'm in a slug gun state. No guides, other than the AK resident going with us. The grand plan is for a float hunt.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Just for quick comparison you may want to check these out:

300 WSM:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/16...agnum-wsm-180-grain-soft-point-box-of-20

30-06:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/59...ringfield-180-grain-soft-point-box-of-20

Not that I'd suggest using these in AK, but this gives you an idea of the price difference. You may also want to consider getting into handloading if you pursue the 300 shortie...Keep in mind that those shown are the "cheap" bullets. For an AK hunt I'd suggest something more in line with these:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/98...-bullet-hollow-point-lead-free-box-of-20

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/16...wsm-180-grain-nosler-partition-box-of-20

Not to sway you away from a wsm because I've got 2 and love them. But it makes a lot of sense to reload for this cartridge...

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well I love the 30-06 and own several but my go-to rifle since 2004 has been my Winchester model 70 ss in 300 wsm. While I have not taken moose or griz with it I have taken a pile of deer both whitetail and muledeer along with proghorn, elk, and black bear. I have taken all with 168 grain barnes tsx but if it were moose or griz I would up the bullet weight a little.

While you can't go wrong with either it really comes down to what you like and what platform best fits your needs.

Good luck and best wishes.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My kid was set on a .300 WSM near 7 years ago when he was 13 so I had GAP screw him one together. It's taken moose and black bear in Newfoundland quite handily, as well as the usual list of NA game, European deer and African plains game. In fact, it's killed them just like the various other 30's and the 7mm's and 277's that were along on the trips...

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KDK

How much the .270 sucks? smile

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll be running my m70 ss .300wsm this fall for moose with 168gr ttsx, and I have no concerns about ammo availability.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (22kHornet, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 46 invisible), 1,897 guests, and 1,185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,219
Posts18,524,577
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.