-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I wonder are they as good as Optilock mounts? What about Leupold and Talley QD mounts. Your own choice and why? I ask this primarily because I can buy Warne QD for less than half the price of the Optilock.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I broke two sets of the Sako bases that were sent with my rifles. I then broke a set of Leupold ring/base units. I then went with Warne Maxima rings and bases on both rifles. I have had no problems with them so far. I have their QD's on my Knight rifle and I have Talley and Kelby rings and bases as well. I've had no trouble with any of these. Warne used to be expensive, but they told me that their price had to come down to be available to a broader audience. They look bulkier than my earlier ones, but have been fine on the rifles.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
C
css Offline
C
I've had a set on a Marlin GG (scout)shooting hot 45/70 loads for about 2 years. They are still as tight as the day I put them on, can't say that for the fillings in my teeth :^))
I bought the QD's for the convenience of removing the scope and using the Ghost Ring sights, it just hasn't happened yet.
If I need to buy rings for something else, Warne will be my first choice.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have use Warne rings on my a111's for several years without any problems

CAS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Warne Sako mounts are worse than [bleep]. The set I had were the most poorly finished, off center, scope ruining, slipping piles of crap I have ever seen. I wouldn't own another set of Warnes if you paid me to take them.

See for yourself how poorly mated the two halves are, and just imagine what they'd do to your scope.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks folks, this last post really made me think. I don�t wan�t to spend my hard earned money on something like that. I guess it will be either Optilock or Leupold QD:s.

CAS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I run Talley's now, and wouldn't trade them for anything on the market.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Does Talley make the lightweights for the Sako 75?

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly gun.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
No doubt Cas has a bad set of Warren rings. I just installed 2 QD sets on Sakos that are perfect. I have Warren mounts on about 12 rifles & have had nothing but excellent results. Many are on magnums up to 376 & have seen extreme service.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
CAS-
Your picture of the Warne rings has them out of line, so they appear to not match. Get them square and then take another picture.

Talleys are made here in SC, but I have them and Warne. Warne is heavier, but my Starrett micrometer says both are identical in diameter and concentricity.

IC B3

CAS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hey dumb [bleep], it ain't the picture. Perhaps my Starretts were not square when I measured the sides not mating by .027.

Of course I took the picture at an angle that allows the crappy quality control to be more visible. I'm not sure that .027 would show up with the resolution on most computer screens, but it will sure as hell show up when it ruins your scope.

Further, what you can't see because of the tabs, is that the base of the rings, where it would sit on the receiver, don't line up either. They are about .030 off. Not only does the scope tube get pinched, but the rings lean to one side slightly when mounted.

Bang away man, go buy a whole gaggle of Warnes and have a blast. Hell, it's not my scope that will get trashed.

Just because you asked though, here's a picture almost straight on.

[Linked Image]

Tell you what, I'll trade you as many pairs of Warnes as you want for the same number of Talleys, since their quality is comparable. What do you say?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

440 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1badf350, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 163bc, 37 invisible), 2,296 guests, and 1,068 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,761
Posts18,515,176
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.