-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 13 1 2 11 12 13
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That's interesting concerning humidity. In the months I'm likely to shoot, July, August, September it is usually bone dry in my area of Montana. Even with a lubed bullet, a grease cookie might not be a bad idea.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by derby_dude
Along the same lines ED, I see on different BP forums that people are weighting each load on a scale esecially if they have an electronic scale, yet the BP manuals say by volume only. What gives with that?

Tim,
From my meager knowledge of BP history, scales were never carried by the ordinary shooter when BP was the only thing they had to shoot. As DD and Ranch13 have noted, the long-range shooters weigh their charges to insure the greatest consistency, which is always the name of the game when shooting at long range and you have to hit what you aim at, either animal or paper.

BP lends itself to volume measuring due to it's inefficiency, but smokeless is quite sensitive to changes in charge amounts, so it must be weighed. Of course, there are exceptions, BH209 and Trail Boss being two that come to mind.

BP is an area I am just getting to know more intimately since Greg, E.T. have turned me to the "Dark Side", with Brent and Paul39, and now Ranch13, adding to my interest.

I've been shooting BP in my side-lock muzzleloaders for almost twenty years now and thought I knew something about it until I "found" BPCR.

The advice you've been given about weighing your volume-measured charges to get an idea of their actual weight is a good one that I intend to also follow.

I have been "stuck" using GOEX because that is all I could get locally. Now that even that source has dried up, I will be ordering online and am looking forward to trying KIK.

PM me or give me a call sometime and we can talk handloading, BP, or just the price of tea in China. grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Use SPG lube in the .40 slug rifle, so maybe that's why I found no issues out in Cody. Or was in Black Magic? The Shadow knows...

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Originally Posted by derby_dude
Along the same lines ED, I see on different BP forums that people are weighting each load on a scale esecially if they have an electronic scale, yet the BP manuals say by volume only. What gives with that?

Tim,
From my meager knowledge of BP history, scales were never carried by the ordinary shooter when BP was the only thing they had to shoot. As DD and Ranch13 have noted, the long-range shooters weigh their charges to insure the greatest consistency, which is always the name of the game when shooting at long range and you have to hit what you aim at, either animal or paper.

BP lends itself to volume measuring due to it's inefficiency, but smokeless is quite sensitive to changes in charge amounts, so it must be weighed. Of course, there are exceptions, BH209 and Trail Boss being two that come to mind.

BP is an area I am just getting to know more intimately since Greg, E.T. have turned me to the "Dark Side", with Brent and Paul39, and now Ranch13, adding to my interest.

I've been shooting BP in my side-lock muzzleloaders for almost twenty years now and thought I knew something about it until I "found" BPCR.

The advice you've been given about weighing your volume-measured charges to get an idea of their actual weight is a good one that I intend to also follow.

I have been "stuck" using GOEX because that is all I could get locally. Now that even that source has dried up, I will be ordering online and am looking forward to trying KIK.

PM me or give me a call sometime and we can talk handloading, BP, or just the price of tea in China. grin

Ed

Sounds good and I might take you up on it in the near future.

I have an electronic scale and I will check loads from time to time but I use the Lee dipper system and I don't intend to weight each and every charge of anything. Even if I used a hopper charging system I would only spot weight charges to make sure nothing has gone a rye. Heck, progressive loaders don�t weight every charge. Now if I was competing for big money and every shot had a dollar sign attached to it well that would be a different kettle of fish.

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Use SPG lube in the .40 slug rifle, so maybe that's why I found no issues out in Cody. Or was in Black Magic? The Shadow knows...

Good thing you didn't say the Green Lantern or you would have been in deep do do. grin

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
This thread should probably be allowed to die, but with respect to the OP's question and for the interest of the order I'll offer this, concerning annealing and blow back.

These .40-82 cases were fired in a match this weekend, and the pic taken within minutes of firing. Note all the nasty BP fouling on the cases - NOT! None back in the action either.

I'm not sure just what factors contribute to a good seal and how much. Like Cross mentioned, I anneal my Starline cases before initial sizing and these days after each firing. Many BPCR competitors do the same, and some claim that it makes a difference in accuracy as well as contributing to good case obturation and sealing. Chamber design and tolerances probably play a part too. However, Brent doesn't anneal his cases - ever, and he doesn't have any problems.

Point is, the fears of black powder fouling getting back in your action seem overblown, or somebody isn't doing things correctly.

Paul

[Linked Image]

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Page 13 of 13 1 2 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

81 members (007FJ, 35, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 6mmCreedmoor, 12 invisible), 1,483 guests, and 855 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,308
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.