Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Seems there had to be a reason at that time as I'd think it added to the mfg's machining and stock inletting expense. Was Mauser the only rifle that had this?

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I read somewhere once that it was easier to manufacture and actually made a more accurate barrel. I couldn't tell you if it was true or not, but I can say I had a step barreled FR-8 that really shot well.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
When it gets really hot a tapered barrel makes it harder to ensure that it will not impinge on something when it lengthens. A stepped straight diameter is easier to inlet for and deal with fittings around the barrel and stock. Or so I have read.....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Only guessing but am assuming that it might have to do with all the hand guards and barrel bands on military rifles - as the sporters did not have them.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I have a Polish rifle that is stepped up.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I believe it had to do with barrel harmonics

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Now it would make sense for the Moisin-Nagants to be "steppe-d".

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by 458Win
Only guessing but am assuming that it might have to do with all the hand guards and barrel bands on military rifles - as the sporters did not have them.

And to allow of installation of sights to allow for proper regulation of sights given the barrel length.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
These rifles were designed to be used with bayonets thus a lot of stress.....at least that's my 2 cents!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
a knowledgeable machinist told me that is easier to step it than it is to taper it on the older machines

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
coulda swore i read somewhere it had to do with barrel harmonics......IIRC the Germans did alot of testing on just where to put the steps to improve accuracy....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
To add,I have a "Army Hunting" rifle,which is a sporter.This is also called a Type "C".It has a stepped barrel,like a K98,clip slots,came in two calibers 8x57 and .30/06 for export.No provsions for bayonets or any military equipment.
Mine was built in the early 30's,but may have seen service as a "sniper" rifle during WWII,since a scope,claw mounts and "Greener" style safely have been installed,then later(1940) German Army marks added.In my studies of the Mauser,the stepped barrel was used as a way to maintain accurcy without weight.

Last edited by rifle; 06/05/12.

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

It was for machining both the barrel and the wood. The
harmonics mostly occur after the bullet has exited.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The way it was explained to me by a rather well read scholar of the bolt action rifle, was that the stepping was:

1: makes a stiffer barrel without the weight thus increasing accuracy and resistance to bending when used with a bayonet.

2: made the machining and fitting faster and easier to increase production abillities.

3: made the swapping of parts much easier as matching "flat" surfaces is much easier than matching "tapered" surfaces.

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Per Olsons book on Mausers, Mr. Paul Mauser found that a barrel lenghtened when hot, so a flat surface prevented elevation shift compaired to a bedded tapered one.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
My last Mauser project (early war BRNO) started out with the intent of re-barreling. I made the classic mistake of 'shooting the donor' and the original stepped barrel with minty bore shot so well I would blush if I told you how small the groups were. So, I built the gun around that barrel, steps and all. It seemed somehow out of place in a custom walnut burl stock, G&H side mount, Lyman receiver sight, double set triggers, etc., but my faith was restored during the first range session with the completed rifle.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Exactly, a 1909 in 7.65 that we have, has it`s original barrel. Outstanding accuracy with Sierra match bullets, to name one.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
A wide variety of answers here, so I'll add my opinion.

Machining a uniform tapered barrel is more difficult than manufacturing a straight "no-taper" barrel - it's just a cylindrical cut. This was probably truer before CNC machining than it is today and probably required a more complex lathe (with some sort of a cam to govern the machining).

You need the most steel in the chamber area as this is where the most pressure if generated; as you move toward the muzzle , pressure falls off and less metal is needed. To make the barrel lighter, it can be reduced in diameter and since straight parallel cuts are easier and required less complicated lathes, it is logical that a series of straight no-taper cuts are made. A simple rounding cut at each step completes the task.

So, my answer is manufacturing simplicity and less cost.

Last edited by djs; 06/05/12.
C
CKW Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
In the musty archives of my feeble memory is the faint recollection that barrel harmonics was the reason for the steps.

Some custom barrels have been made with steps also. A Mauser 257 with Henriksen on the barrel has a single step in it. This barrel is tapered before and after the step. I have no idea who made the barrel, but it does shoot very well, even with me behind the trigger.

"It is wise, though, to remember above all else: rifle, caliber, scope, and even bullets notwithstanding, the most important feature of successful big game hunting is to put that bullet in the correct place, the first time!" John Jobson
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd bet lunch money that "harmonics" were among the last considerations for wartime rifles. If they were improved, it would have been a serendipitous gift - and probably discovered long after.

Ease of machining plus ease of fitting parts and stocks would have been the primary driving reasons.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

498 members (3040Krag, 300_savage, 2500HD, 270wsmnutt, 1badf350, 2ndwind, 48 invisible), 1,919 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,028
Posts18,520,872
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.