Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
mec1 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I've got a Pelican case and I'm getting ready to cut the foam to fit the rifle. Before I do this, I'm just curious what else, if anything, you guys put in your rifle cases. Do you include knives, gun tools, cleaning rods, etc? Do you put any optics such as a spare rifle scope or rangefinder in it? I'm just thinking that there's plenty of space so I might like to include some other things in there.

Thanks!

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I usually will put a knife, cleaning rods, other little miscellaneous items in there as long as I can separate them from the rifle(s) so they don't damage the rifle when bouncing around. Be warned, though, that the TSA might want to go through everything when they Xray the case, and they can cause problems rummaging around in your case trying to verify what is in it besides the rifle. And, you won't be able to touch the case again at that point to make sure that everything is back in order. Therefore, I try not to put a bunch of little items that can get shifted and move all over the place. As for riflescopes and rangefinders, I prefer to keep those with me in my carry on so I know they won't get damaged. I've heard of people having problems with security due to riflescopes in their carry on while going through security, but I've never had a problem. I'm sure other, more traveled hunters, can weigh in on that issue.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have an SKB "bunk-bed" style rifle case. On one trip to Africa, my rifle occupied the "upper" half of the case and I crammed the "lower" half with unused tee shirts and tennis shoes to give to the trackers. I was able to cram an amazing number of tee shirts into the case simply by rolling them tightly, and I had absolutely no problems with TSA.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Only thing I put in mine was the cleaning rod. But that was becuase I had room to put other cleaning supplies in my ammo case.

He went over yonder way
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I tape the cleaning rod to the back shell of the case under the foam. I put knives, rifle tools and spares, and scopes in the case. The top layer is a soft case. Around the perimeter, I loop the sling. I had a knife stolen from checked baggage so that is why the knife goes into the locked case nowadays. I use a takedown case and pull the action out of the stock (after making sure this rifle is not persnickity about being dismantled). A takedown case fits in bush planes and is very hard to destroy when the peta/baggage gorilla goes at it.

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The only knife you need is a small one for your own use. The staff has dozens of knives given to them and don't need or want more. Same with just about everything except cash.

I throw the foam away and wrap my personal clothing and stuff in black plastic packets taped with black tape. These are used to surround the only rifle I take. I do usually take an extra scope and a few basic tools. I used to take a rod but now take a bore snake from which I have removed the bronze brush. I buy one that is undersize so it will not ever get stuck in the barrel. So for my 270 I use a .264. For a 375 use a 358 etc. I carry two very small vials of cleaning fluid. Hoppe #9 and Butches copper remover plus an eye dropper. This has worked 14+ times. On first two trips took way too much stuff and luggage. Never again.

I end up with the rifle case and a smallish carryon bag. That is it.

Last edited by RinB; 06/05/12.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
U
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
U
I was carrying a rifle scope in my carry on bag and the young woman screening at J-burg airport had issue with it, saying it was part of a firearm. I was lucky that there was a flurry of passengers going through the x-ray and she got flustered, bought my explanation (I won't tell you what it was) and passed me through. I think I was very lucky on this one. It could pose a problem with the wrong inspector.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

111 members (44mc, B52RadarNav, 7887mm08, 300_savage, 35, 7mm_Loco, 11 invisible), 1,797 guests, and 1,010 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,326
Posts18,526,486
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.