Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
cobrad Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
My eyes are not quite what they used to be, and we can't use a scope here in CO. I have read reviews on both the Williams and Lyman peeps, and the Williams gets much better reviews... but the question is, is this a good addition to a muzzleloader that is a hunting rifle? I do like the idea of being able to quickly adjust the sight for a longer shot.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The Lyman Peep is about as good as it gets other than a scope. Williams not far behind

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wouldn't worry about dual sighting, or adjusting the sight for a shot on game - since most likely while the shooter's fiddling, the game will be gone.

The real limitations, especially with a frontstuffer, are going to be the shooter;s vision and the available light - which all boils down to about a 150yd max range, which is doable with a single zero and a max load.

I would respectfully suggest finding that zero range, then practicing shot at both shorter & longer ranges up to the maximum.

Remember Clint's words: "A man's GOT to come to terms with his limitations". laugh

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I use a williams peep with a "twilight hunting peep" bought separately. It has a larger diameter peep to look through.

I also have used the Ghost ring set up with the Tru-glo globe fiberoptic sight. I feel that works great out to at least 100 yards.

Last edited by txhunter58; 06/04/12.

Venor ergo sum
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
If you zero with a 6 o'clock hold you still have a full view of your target.

NRA: Benefactor
There's never time to do it right,
but there's always time to do it over!!
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i've been thinking about mounting the lyman peep on mine.

My idea of being organic is taking a dump in the woods.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I also hate the FO sights.Too darn big and fragile.

If you have a 150 gr Extened range ML,you might find the Williams Peep won't go high enough to use the front FO sight if you are using a 100 gr load.

I ordered another FO one from TC, but Brownells carry them also. This was a 1 screw sight identical to what was on the original gun,but a diferent height. I cut the FO part off, and then filed down the remaining base to get a nice square blade about 1/16" wide. Now my Williams sits right at about 1/2 way thru the height adjustment dovetail.I was out shooting last week and could hold 3 shots within a 2" group at 100 yards , evenwith my old eyes.

When hunting I take the screw in aperature out and just use the threaded hole.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Just Ordered the XS Ghost ring sights for my Knight.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by cobrad
My eyes are not quite what they used to be, and we can't use a scope here in CO. I have read reviews on both the Williams and Lyman peeps, and the Williams gets much better reviews... but the question is, is this a good addition to a muzzleloader that is a hunting rifle? I do like the idea of being able to quickly adjust the sight for a longer shot.

You shootin' round balls or conicals? Traditional or inline?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

C
cobrad Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Knight inline. Last time I messed with it, 3 years ago, I was using powerbelts. I am waiting for a sample pack of the Thor bullets. I use a laser rangefinder if the game is not obviously within the hundred yard range and would feel comfortable shooting to 200 yards given a broadside standing shot. I would prefer to dial in elevation to guessing holdover, and am also thinking the peep would be easier for my eyes... is this eye crap supposed to happen at 53?! That's just not right.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
corrected

Last edited by simivalley; 06/06/12.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Find one of the old SAKO multiple settting peep sights that have a center pivot and are marked 100. 200 and some 300. Obviously you have to figure out what each hole means on your rifle, but there is no peep sight that is quicker and easier to adjust.

Here's one on fleabay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sako-peep-s..._0&hash=item43b0793e28#ht_500wt_1355

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Cobrad, sorry to say it, but eyes age, vision goes sideways and that's that. The process starts around age 40 for those otherwise not afflicted by vision problems. I used to have 20/15 vision, now I have cataracts and drive a Ford.

Without saying you can't have what you want, I would suggest that what you're considering might actually be somewhat cumbersome in the field as compared to simply shooting the gun and setting zero at a reasonable distance which allows you to utilize the old concept of Maximum Point Blank Range. In case you are not familiar with that concept: http://www.shooterscalculator.com/point-blank-range.php

I don't know the particulars about your guns velocity or the bullet trajectory, but you will probably find this approach more expedient than trying to twiddle knobs on a 200 yard shot. I could be wrong but I'm guessing that a dead center hold at 200 yards is doable with your gun if the basic sight in is properly executed.

With that said and done, it will simplify your sight selection greatly. By the way, I've been using this idea on a Win 94 w/Williams receiver sight for deer hunting near 3 decades. The deer don't much care for it.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
The only way to correct for aging eyes is to keep getting closer.

I'm down to 50 yds with a peep sight. Bow range with a gun. smile

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
C
cobrad Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Dan, I've seen you around here for a good while. Always get a kick out of the smiling goat.
I'm familiar with MPBR, I use it to set up my centerfires for shots out to 300 yards. I haven't experimented enough with the MZ enough to know what MPBR might look like out to 200. I may be making things more complicated than they actually are. Aside from that, I am still thinking the peep may work better for me than open sights.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Cobrad
I would have to agree with Dan. if seeing the distance is the issue , a peep can only do so much to focus your vision and clear up the sight picture . For a lot of folks they help greatly . But if the adjustment is what your after , none are real quick in that manor .
I have used the Lyman . Williams and the TC peeps through the years . I liked the TC the best even though it wasn�t as nicely graduated like the Lyman or Williams .
To be honest with you , for hunting , I just ended up setting them at my sightin distance and left the adjustment to target shooting .
Eventually I pulled them and went back to open sights .

If your sight issue is more to one of not being able to see the sights , either front or rear , then you can have the sights moved so as to correct their placement for your changing vision . You could also change the rear to something like a semi or full buck horn so as to better focus your eye or go to something like a folding leaf rear sight at will give you the option to zero at 2 different distances . That way you don�t have to turn knobs. Just reach up and flip the longer distance leaf up on your open sight

[Linked Image]
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
There are, of course, several different ways you can go with this, but one is to adapt a simple Marbles or Lyman style tang sight to your muzzleloader for a long-range shot (whatever that means to you) and then use barrel sights (which can include a peep-type of aperture if you wish) for closer shots. There can be some issues in choosing the correct version of the Marbles or Lyman sight, but, if I can do it, anyone can.

Other types of tang sights can be used and whether you want to twirl knobs or not, there is nothing like a vernier sight for allowing you to pick the zero you want for the condition you are hunting at the moment, and then changing it if you want to hunt a different type of habitat a hour or a day later, without having to go to the range to rezero other, more conventional sights.

The type of rifle you have will dictate some of the possibilities, but there are lot of ways to go. They won't return your eyes to the acuity that they had when you were 19 yrs old, but they can help a lot.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
You have not said what load you are using. 100 gr BP using a maxiball or 295 gr PB is a lot different than 150 gr and copper bullet.

You might look at getting some 1:25 mild reading glasses at Walmart or? and try them for shooting.For me,they clear up the sights and I can still see a 2" bull reasonably well at 100 yards.

200 yards would be a push for me shooting 295 gr Power Belts with 100 gr BP or 777. I have checked it and with a 100 dead on zero, I am 12" low at 200. That is way too much to come up with a MPB setting.

Last edited by saddlesore; 06/07/12.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
The important point to be made is that the front sight must be sharp and in focus. As long as the vital zone of the target can be discerned, the target can be fuzzy. If the rear sight is a peep or ghost ring, it will disapear from view.

Remember: when sighting, always focus on the front sight and not the target.

NRA: Benefactor
There's never time to do it right,
but there's always time to do it over!!
C
cobrad Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
saddlesore, 295 power belt and 100 gr BP is what I used in the past, hence the need for a relatively quick sight adjustment at 200.
I like the tang site idea, have to take a look at that. If nothing else I'll determine an acceptable point blank range and that is my range. Either way I am thinking a peep sight of some sort will go on.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (1lesfox, 01Foreman400, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 16gage, 007FJ, 58 invisible), 2,899 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,360
Posts18,488,044
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.