OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
10-4, I'll get at least 5 yds off the road... grin

GB1

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Lots of good suggestions here. I would add a vote for Hawke Frontier ED.

I strongly recommend you try a bino before you buy. I find that some eyepieces fit my head while others don't. A bino that natuarlly finds the sweet spot against your brow and nose is a joy to use. One that you constantly have to microposition to get a clear view simultaneously through both sides is a pain for prolonged viewing. This is a very individual "fit" issue that goes beyond the typical notions of ergonomics.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I'm running an older pair of Bushnell Legends 10x42. I like them and they do the job for me quite well. They are kinda heavy though.

And I don't know if they fixed the lens cover issues yet either for the objective lenses. Add one more minus to them.

He went over yonder way
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
[quote=338rcm
Just curious how many different manufactures Zen has used in China and why

[/quote]

Zen Ray uses one factory for the Vista and ZRS HD, and used to use one other for the ZEN ED series. They left that one for business expansion reasons. They now have their own OEM facility and will likely eventually shift everything there. The new facility is currently doing the ED 3 and the new Prime HD. I have no solid reason for this, but it would not seem a stretch to think they have some stuff in the works to build some things for other places now that they have that ability. They use the Vista and ZRS source because they build things to the ZR specs and are easy enough for ZR to deal with.

I maybe should add that Zen Ray originally started off with the Vista line made in Japan. You won't believe this probably but the Japanese nearly broke their back doing just what everybody seems to think is typical of only Chinese sources. Funny thing is they wanted to avoid the made in China syndrome, but had to eventually go there to find a factory that would actually work with them and make what they wantred they way they wanted it made. So just because it says made in Japan does not automatically mean it is worth anything.

Steve

Theodore Roosevelt: "Do what you can where you are with what you have"
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I've got news for you. One of the reasons why the Pentax WP binoculars were such a big hit a few years back is that they were actually a hair better than the Zeiss Classics of years gone by. The current upgrade to the older WP's are the SP's.
There are lots of like quality binoculars out there. Some are reported as better by very knowledgable folks.
I happen to own a couple of really good Leicas. The Pentax SP I have is very close to them in image quality.
You don't have to take my word for it. Buy from somebody like Cabela's or Doug at CameralandNY and see for yourself. If you aren't happy, they will take them back and refund your money. E

IC B2

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by 4th_point
...I do deal with crappy Chinese products on a daily business for my work. Sometimes its shameful, but these are limited examples. The Zen Ray binos show how dang good they can be, if given the right direction and supervision.

A few companies have proven that good optics can be made in China and have also mastered quality control there. I need to see evidence that the return rates are low before I will buy a Chinese product. So far Zen-Ray and Hawke are on my short list. As long as we're talking the <$500 price range, the risk seems small to me. If the budget rises to $1,000 or beyond, then I would look elsewhere.

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
E, how much were you getting the Pentaxes for?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Tanner
Jeff, I'm not going to sell any Kidneys so Swaros are out.

Shrap, used Zeiss Classics over used Bushnell Elite 8x43s? Something about the Classics makes me really want to find some.

I hear ya.... sort of.

I bought mine over 10 years ago... I had a 2 year old and a 5 year old in the house and things were tight. I put eyes to them, went "awww shee-it!" and put them on layaway. I've never regretted it. They are awesome.

That being said the optics world has changed dramatically in the last decade. My 13x56 Minox are made in China and are damn nice.

Looking forward to hearing what you get; you are getting lots of good advice. I like the Nikon 8x32 advice. In my opinion you'll want TWO 'nocs eventually. A high quality 6x-8x in a compact format, and then something bigger.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Zeiss Classic 10x40 are a Koolaid thing here at the Campfire and you guys will never guess in a million years who endorsed them. Give ya all a hint to be fair.....Ingram knives, 223 AI, A-Max boolits....

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I paid $450 for mine. I've seen them on sale for $350. E

IC B3

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Oh I know about the Koolaid laugh but they were the first bino recommended to me by a guy whom I admire a lot and who has probably killed more massive animals than anyone I've ever met or will meet. So thats kind of where my desire for the Classics comes from.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not saying that they are junk, only that a certain guy much added to their popularity here at the Campfire, and I'm not a Stick basher by any stretch. I've gotten lots of good advise from him.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I'd buy these before the Z Classics. Not directed at you RD in any form or fashion, but Stick is a loser, a bottom feeding narcissist.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/6448658/4

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm on the same page with you RD, I got what you're sayin.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I'd buy these before the Z Classics. Not directed at you RD in any form or fashion, but Stick is a loser, a bottom feeding narcissist.

I'd get those in a heart beat over the Classic's.

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Those are a bit more than I can get the C lassics for...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JGRaider

I know that there is lots of disdain for Stick here and he's brought it on himself. All's I'm saying is that I've asked him (granted in PM's) about hiking boots, rain gear, in particular, and I've gotten good advise. I don't ask him questions about stuff that I already have an answer for or just to argue with him and that's what alot of folks here do (not saying you do). Believe it or not, I've seen him ask folks for recommendations over at that As Real as it gets site about 45's, AR's and camera [bleep] too. Is he obnoxious ? Sure. But you can be sure as you're breathing, that he's not telling folks to use something he's never used before himself and you need not look further than this particular forum to see examples of that day in and day out.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
What about Promaster 10x42 I have them and like them a lot. Real bright and clear.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lots of choices Tanner -and you got my pm. If sold on roofs the Zen Ray 7x36 ED for $375 might be a good mix of size, weight, glass, brightness with a nice field of view. Pretty sure when you get one of any of these being discussed. I just really like that size- 7x35 range for an all arounder.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Stick is prone to using something, liking it, then proclaiming it as best for everybody's needs, physique, etc. His Massive Ego prevents him from understanding that what he likes best, isn't necessarily what's best for someone else.

It ain't ever not funny.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

97 members (35, 79S, 6mmbrfan, 35WhelenNut, 673, 264mag, 16 invisible), 962 guests, and 914 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,977
Posts18,519,890
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.