Hop To
F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Mr. Howell;
<br>
<br>How much greater in diameter need the shoulder of a case be than the case neck for reliable headspacing? I am thinking of a 35-40 degree shoulder and looking for the minimum diameter difference for sound headspacing.
<br>
<br>Fireplug

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Fireplug:
<br>
<br>Ken is on the road, due home Saturday. In the meantime we'll keep you entertained until he gets here.
<br>
<br>The short answer is that NO shoulder is required to headspace. Some cases headspace on the case front neck rim. These are usually pistol cases.
<br>
<br>Naturally you know that some cases headspace on the belt and some headspace on the rim. A case is also tapered so there is a point where it will not move any further foreward. That point could be beyond the no go sign but the very smallest shoulder could be related to the thickness of the belt on a belted magnum. If a belted magnums belt will headspace acceptably, by the same token a shoulder equal in size should also work.
<br>
<br>If the rim on a rimmed case will headspace then a shoulder of the same width should also be acceptable.
<br>
<br>Bill Tibbe

Last edited by William_E_Tibbe; 05/22/02.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sorry but the wrong answer is that "no shoulder is required" when we are discussing 35-40 degree angles.
<br>
<br>The 300 Savage works with .050" on a side and a 30 degree angle. That seems to be where to work from.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd be irresponsible if I tried to cite you a single numerical figure.
<br>
<br>Whether the difference between two diameters applies to belted, rimmed, straight, or necked cases, the minimum effective difference depends entirely on the fit of the loaded case inside the chamber.
<br>
<br>To illustrate the point, consider the force required to overcome the resistance of a sizing die, to make it "accept" a fired case. In this extremely snug "fit," the difference between the diameters of (say) fired .38 Special brass and a .38 Special case that can freely enter a .38 Special sizing die is very small. The headspace ledge in the mouth of a .30 Carbine, 9mm Parabellum, .423 OKH, .444 Marlin Rimless, or .45 ACP chamber isn't very wide, and the sized case has to fit into the chamber pretty snugly.
<br>
<br>The shoulder on a fire-formed .400 Whelen is adequate. The shoulder on another .400 Whelen case (NOT fire-formed) can be inadequate. Nominally, the difference between shoulder and neck diameters is only 0.024 inch (0.454 - 0.430 inch). The nominal shoulder angle becomes irrelevant in such a case, because the convex fillet at the base of the shoulder and the concave fillet at the base of the neck leave no straight line there to form a true angle.
<br>
<br>As a practical figure, the difference between the neck and shoulder diameters of UNfire-formed brass in an anonymous or typical chamber would have to be a bit more than the 0.024 inch that headspaces the fire-formed .400 Whelen case quite adequately.
<br>
<br>The nominal difference between the belt and body diameters of the H&H Magnum cases isn't much, either -- less than 0.020 inch (0.532 - 0.513 = 0.019 inch). If the shoulder of a SIZED necked case fits its chamber as closely as the base of a magnum case fits its recess, the same slight difference in diameters should be adequate to hold the case against the impact of the striker -- which is, after all, cushioned somewhat by the relative softness of the primer cup as it indents under that very localized impact.
<br>
<br>

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Thanks All,
<br>
<br>I noticed that among factory rimless and beltless (you are making me be more specific) round the .35 Rem. has the least differential at .044, but as noted some wildcats have less.
<br>
<br>My .416 TAS project has run into some diificulty due to the very thick case walls of the .240 Weatherby (.035 were even the hotest other rounds are about .029) limiting powder capacity. I hate to go to the step of reaming each case to a more typical thickness. I thought I might look at a rimless case formed from .308 with its' much thinner case, but after stuffing a .416 bullet in there it is darn close to the case's diameter.
<br>
<br>Thanks Again,
<br>Fireplug

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 61 invisible), 3,439 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,743
Posts18,535,405
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.