Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The poorest don't have much because the government gives them just enough to get them by without having to work for anything. Take away the handouts and people would get off their asses, get a job, become a tax payer and start contributing for a change.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by djs
Originally Posted by nsaqam
Who's to say DJS hasn't sent a check, or even several checks, as gifts to the Gov't?

Why avoid his main point?

The middle 49.99% of the people bear the brunt.

I will add that it is shocking to me that 400 people have almost the same income as everyone in the bottom 50% (69 million people according to the post!!) of taxpayers!

And, that was my point. The poorest can't pay much; they just don't have it. The middle class can (and should) pay taxes, but they are stressed with daily expenses. The wealthiest can pay more (although I recognize they too have limits); how many 150' yachts can they use at one time.

and if you ever sat and watched what a hell of alot of those on the bottom waste their money on you wouldnt be so quick to write off they cant afford anything....around here a hell of alot of the kids in the lowest rungs are running around in designer shirts and jeans that cost $80 while im right at the 50% mark and i hit the Army-Navy surplus shop to buy $3 shirts for work.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by djs
The wealthiest can pay more (although I recognize they too have limits); how many 150' yachts can they use at one time.

I hope they buy yachts by the dozen - that means jobs. If they don't buy yachts they invest - that means jobs.

You seem to think that government confiscation is a better alternative.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
In Washington state a family of 4 on food stamps gets roughly 800 dollars a month from .gov to purchase their food and such, their cart is full of frozen pizzas, twinkies, cookies, steaks, etc...

My family of 4 is on a food budget of 600 per month (including laundary soap, cleaning supplies, etc...), we buy very little if any junk food, make all of our meals at home, and rarely eat a beef steak or eat out. Why should someone who doesn't work for a living get to live better than I do working full time?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by eh76
flat tax across the board is the way to go.

It's the only way. The law of the land even states everyone treated equally under the law why aren't we there. Can you say vote buying? Penis envey is Obama number one weapon.

NRA Lifetime Member
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by djs
Let's look at it this way, using your numbers:

- the TOP 400 earners paid 19.8% of their income in taxes.
- the BOTTOM 50% of earners paid 19.5% of their income in taxes.

Unmentioned is those between the bottom 50% and the top 400 (probably the (0.0001%) - they are the ones bearing the brunt.

I am just below the top 1% in earnings and within the top 1% in wealth, and I feel that top earners can and should pay more to support the nation.

I do not believe they should be forced to pay more to support the nation.

Anyone who feels they personally should pay more is free to do it.

There is a problem when people begin to decide what I owe for the same services (or less) than the next person.

Snake

Last edited by temmi; 06/08/12.

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by djs
Originally Posted by nsaqam
Who's to say DJS hasn't sent a check, or even several checks, as gifts to the Gov't?

Why avoid his main point?

The middle 49.99% of the people bear the brunt.

I will add that it is shocking to me that 400 people have almost the same income as everyone in the bottom 50% (69 million people according to the post!!) of taxpayers!

And, that was my point. The poorest can't pay much; they just don't have it. The middle class can (and should) pay taxes, but they are stressed with daily expenses. The wealthiest can pay more (although I recognize they too have limits); how many 150' yachts can they use at one time.

bullschitt everyone pays their fair share....flat tax is the way to go.

BOTTOM LINE IS THE FUGGIN GOOBERMINT NEEDS TO CUT BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by eh76; 06/08/12.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
E
edk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
ITS called free enterprise. That means if you have the guts to actually take a chance you may become rich in this country. Sit on yer ass and not much chance of it happening. Doesn't matter how many yachts they need if they come by the money honestly. FREE ENTERPRISE!!! Its their money. If you don't like this system go to a communist country and have a good time. ED K

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 17ACKLEYBEE

It's the only way. The law of the land even states everyone treated equally under the law why aren't we there. Can you say vote buying? Penis envey is Obama number one weapon.

I disagree, and rather favor the Fair Tax concept as it is rooted in consumption.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Steve Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by djs

DJS,

That's been tried before too. From PBS, no less. Class envy is a job killer.

"The theory behind the luxury tax sounded simple enough. Congress believed anyone willing to spend $100,000 or more on a new boat surely would be willing to pay an additional 10 percent to the federal government. But that didn't happen. Rather than pay the tax, many people in the market to buy a boat either didn't buy one, or bought one overseas. As a result, the luxury tax didn't bring in much money at all, and the customers' reluctance to buy put the boat-building business, particularly here in Rhode Island, out of business. We first visited Rhode Island in June of 1992. The luxury tax had been in effect for 18 months. Tens of thousands of jobs had been lost across the country, thousands in Rhode Island alone."

Kwame Holman looks at how a 1990 bu...e a luxury tax it instituted, back fired

Carpe' Scrotum
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jorgeI

I disagree, and rather favor the Fair Tax concept as it is rooted in consumption.

sales tax??

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Djs: You are living in bizarro land if you think the bottom 50% of wage earners in this country today are paying 19.5% of their income to the Feds in income taxes every year!
Do you even live in this country (United States of America!)?
And you make no sense what so ever with your "0.0001%" contention either.
Like ejh mentions the only fair tax (remember the equal justice under the law doctrine?) is a flat tax that applies to EVERY wage earner, not excluding hussein oblamer voters like is the norm today!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
djs' theory is the standard liberal class-envy angle. I mean how many times does one have to show the data indicating "the poor" pay ZERO income tax and the rest of us pay the lion's share, and even if we were to confiscate then entire wealth of "the rich" it wouldn't even begin to pay for all the entitlements for these no loads?

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI

If it went that way the income tax wouldn't go away. When was the last time you saw a tax eliminated. So we'd be still paying a income tax and say a 20% comsumption tax you need to be careful what you ask for.

NRA Lifetime Member
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by djs

I am just below the top 1% in earnings and within the top 1% in wealth, and I feel that top earners can and should pay more to support the nation.

why should a person just because they earn more pay a higher % of their income to the government?

ML

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all my gear for what I said I paid for it.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

+1000000000

ML

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all my gear for what I said I paid for it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Djs: You are living in bizarro land if you think the bottom 50% of wage earners in this country today are paying 19.5% of their income to the Feds in income taxes every year!

That has been pointed out to him over and over but he refuses to acknowledge his ignorance on the subject. Pretty much renders all his arguments worthless. Eh?

It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world. - Thomas Jefferson
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Do you even live in this country (United States of America!)?
And you make no sense what so ever with your "0.0001%" contention either.
Like ejh mentions the only fair tax (remember the equal justice under the law doctrine?) is a flat tax that applies to EVERY wage earner, not excluding hussein oblamer voters like is the norm today!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

The numbers are not mine; I took them directly from the initial posting and offer no opinion as to their veracity. The initial posting said: "2. In 2009, the bottom 50% of taxpayers, a group totaling 69 million, earned collectively more than $1 trillion and paid $19.5 billion in federal income taxes (see chart above).�

"And you make no sense what so ever with your "0.0001%" contention either." Yes, I did just make up the ""0.0001%". I don't know what the actual number is but 400 taxpayers out of 131,113,969 tax returns is a small percentage -- you do the math. see: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_people_pay_taxes_each_year_in_the_US

The median income of US households is $46,326 (see: http://www.mybudget360.com/how-much-does...income-numbers/ ). I pay almost twice that in income taxes each year, so I'd certainly benefit from lower taxes; I am talking about equity in tax policy. If we want a strong military, solid Social Security and Medicare Programs (very popular among elderly conservatives), etc. the money has to come from somewhere.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Mntngoat
Originally Posted by djs

why should a person just because they earn more pay a higher % of their income to the government?

ML

1. They are better able to pay to support the nation.
2. they have more freedom (choice is often derived from the ability to pay, so they have greater freedom of choice)
3. They derive a greater benefit in terms of protection, rights, living standards and, health (they can afford broccoli, fresh vegetables and excellent medical care).
4. They get more and better tax breaks than others. E.G., if I wasn't able to write off a number of deductions, my tax bill would be about $45-48,000 HIGHER each year. Thank God for those deductions; I'll use them all I can, realizing that I get something many don't!

It is interesting that many here keep defending the wealthier when in fact, they are not there and probably never will be. If a magic fairy gave everyone $2,000,000, then there would still be a top 1.5% and they wouldn�t be in it, according to the laws of statistics.

Last edited by djs; 06/08/12.
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by AlaskaFE

That has been pointed out to him over and over but he refuses to acknowledge his ignorance on the subject. Pretty much renders all his arguments worthless. Eh?

As I said previously, I just used the numbers posted by Steve (first posting). Not my numbers.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 56 invisible), 2,270 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,391
Posts18,488,706
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.