Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Ok gang, for less than 1K money (or darn close) what do you like for factory options in an AR?

I want 223

I want enough barrel length so it won't bark the rest of my hearing

I want a fun rig, that will do work for calling yotes come winter and yet will be fun for my G-kids to work over the steel with.

It will be scoped

I don't want a fat barrel nor a skinny one

And, a darn good factory trigger would be nice

Many thx and fire away with options

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I've been happy with my Bushmaster. It's a 16" HBAR barrel, sorta heavy, but not like a varminter. Trigger is typical milspec....harsh. It shoots well though.

Mine has full length sights and handguard, but carbine gas system.

16" bbl, nott too bad with the compensator. Had a 16" without comp and it was terribly loud.

Had it out a few days ago shooting 60gr VMax over W748. Was rolling pine cones off a hillside at 630 yards.

I added aftermarket grip, stock, handguards from MagPul.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

shooting irons,
[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Hey Mark, not sure about hitting the 1K price point but here are some factors that may help.....you probably already know them but here goes:
1. Standard DI gas system....less $ and lighter.
2. 16 inch midweight tube
3. Try to get one of the newer lighter weight fore arms instead of the heavier cheese grater style...easier on the hands and saves considerable weight....balances nicer and swings easier.
4. Adjustable butt....it fits everybody in the family.

Bravo Company has a LOT of options....just about makes you dizzy sorting it out.

Call Dave @ Beartooth Cash and Gun here in Billings 406-245-4448...he knows a lot about the AR platforms that are out there.

Finally,,,,,,even my wife who doesn't shoot much really likes the AR.....the adjustable butt stock helps a lot.

Oh yeah......flat top receiver also.

Last edited by Dave93; 06/08/12.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If its off the shelf and not a build buy a DPMS Orical and top it of with a Vari X II for 1K

It's hard to get a real nice varmint rig for under a K

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
That's a lot for a grand considering the trigger. A stock colt 6920 is about 1100. A colt will always hold it's value and they are built better than many you will find in this dollar range. It's carbine gas, the trigger is not good but replaceable, I learned to shoot mine well, it's 5.56 and not 223, and if you get tired of it you can sell it for 900 for as long as you own it. It might even go up in value depending on election. There are black gun builders coming out of the wood works these days, get one that everyone recognizes as good. Colt would be my choice. O and you won't see the front sight at 3x.

IC B2

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I love 16" carbines but if your hearing is better than mine then you might think it too loud. Shoot one first, lot's of folk complain they're too loud but add 2" to it and all is well. I agree a flash hider doesn't make it any louder and some direct the noise away but any comp/brake is gonna be obnoxious.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Smith & Wesson M&P have some of the best ARs IMO out of the box before going to the higher end specialty ARs like Daniel, Spikes, Stag, Ect

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That RRA on the classifieds is a sweet deal, but you don't want the fat barrel.. Anyway, I think Sammo is scraping coins out of the sofa for it.

Ifin I were you, I'd look at the RRA Predator Pursuit with the 20" barrel.

You'll need to look around to find it at a thou or less.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The RRA's and S&W's would be my 1st choice. The 20" RRA Coyote is a great out of the box AR but it goes just a little over budget.

Terry

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I know it's not "factory" per se, but I'd order an upper from WOA, pick any decent lower outfitted with Magpul furniture, and go to town...

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Clark has the solution IMHO.

Pick the upper carefully, put about what you want for a lower on it.

Custom upper and you probably end up a hair over 1000 total, but you can get close and you'll have a premium upper IE accurate and reliable.

White Oak has been my choice for many years now, the owner is a multiple times civilian champ from Camp PErry and knows his stuff. Started doing the work because he wasn't satisified with the guns he had done by others, and ended up his career.

beware he may not do things that others do, IE if you want to skinny of a tube, and he is afraid it won't be accurate, he'll refuse.

And his work load right now is probably crazy being only 2 months from Nationals.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
BCM, 100%.
If you want room for accessory money, Del-ton kits. If you don't want to build, S&W Sport, though IMO you're getting a slightly worse end product.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Ok gang, for less than 1K money (or darn close) what do you like for factory options in an AR?

I want 223

I want enough barrel length so it won't bark the rest of my hearing

I want a fun rig, that will do work for calling yotes come winter and yet will be fun for my G-kids to work over the steel with.

It will be scoped

I don't want a fat barrel nor a skinny one

And, a darn good factory trigger would be nice

Many thx and fire away with options

Dober

You just described the Rock River Arms "ATH" Advanced Tactical Hunter.........one look and you'll be hooked. Mine will be here in a few days! grin

Last edited by frogman43; 06/08/12.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I like Spikes Tactical, but than that is no secret. laugh

Sam......

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by clark98ut
I know it's not "factory" per se, but I'd order an upper from WOA, pick any decent lower outfitted with Magpul furniture, and go to town...

Yes...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by rost495
Clark has the solution IMHO.

Pick the upper carefully, put about what you want for a lower on it.

Custom upper and you probably end up a hair over 1000 total, but you can get close and you'll have a premium upper IE accurate and reliable.

White Oak has been my choice for many years now, the owner is a multiple times civilian champ from Camp PErry and knows his stuff. Started doing the work because he wasn't satisified with the guns he had done by others, and ended up his career.

beware he may not do things that others do, IE if you want to skinny of a tube, and he is afraid it won't be accurate, he'll refuse.

And his work load right now is probably crazy being only 2 months from Nationals.

Jeff

Double yes...

- Greg

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think Mark has been around rifles enough to know when to ask about factory versus custom.

For his needs and wants in killing soup cans and coyotes, I think there's some pretty good factory offerings out there to suit his parameters.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
I think Mark has been around rifles enough to know when to ask about factory versus custom.

For his needs and wants in killing soup cans and coyotes, I think there's some pretty good factory offerings out there to suit his parameters.

I could be wrong but I assumed the same thing.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco

Ok -

Thanks for the heads up.

- Greg

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
yes he has been around long enough... BUT for not much more, IE close to the 1000 buck mark, you can get a better deal... for more or less same money? And more or less within budget. Whats wrong with that.

If I had to go straight factory I'd go RRA for the value today, or I'd buy a lower and put a model one sales upper on it, and probably with loading get it at 1 moa or less too...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

529 members (1234, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1941USMC, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 46 invisible), 1,802 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,001
Posts18,520,477
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.