Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Gonna show some of my ignorance here.. Just bought a SP bore guide. Used it last night on a Savage LRPV. Seems to work fine,but with one small problem.
Adding solvent/oil to the patch.

I insert a patch through the rear and push it in for a little less than a inch-until I can see it in the cut-out port. Next I try to add a little solvent.

I'm having a problem getting the patches completely soaked.In order to do so, I'm ending up with a pretty good excess in the port/guide.

I'm not doing something just right.

Experts..help!

Everyone lives"Downstream!"

Plant Oak Trees! Catch tarpon...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Put the solvent on the patch first (wear latex gloves). You'll get better coverage and less resistance to pushing it through. Put an old towel under the guide to keep any excess solvent off the stock.

Wipe-Out is better than any liquid solvent and is KISS in use.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
That's what I have been doing, and it just negates the whole solvent port concept.
Surely there is a better way,isn't there?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here�s how I�ve been cleaning barrels (when I clean) for a while now.

Cut a square of plastic shopping bag, maybe 2-3� on a side. Fold up a small cleaning patch and put it in the center of the plastic and shove the whole thing into the chamber. Tamp it in place real good with a pistol rod or other short rod. The idea is to create a solvent proof bore plug so if you have an idea for something else that works go ahead.

With muzzle up, drop three or four good eyedropperfuls of solvent into the bore. Cover the muzzle with another piece of plastic doubled up and hold it in place with a rubber band. Turn the rifle up and down, right and left a couple of times to really coat the bore. Leave it overnight. Maybe turn it once or three times in the interim to keep the bore well coated.

Next day, remove the muzzle cover and upend the bore into a trash can and watch a stream of dark blue liquid run out. Take a rod and punch out the bore plug. Run about three dry tight patches through the bore to dry it. Run a lightly oiled patch through the bore and you�re done. Total time actually spent cleaning is maybe 5 minutes. If you want to smile, shine a bright light into the bore and note that there is zero, nada, copper fouling there. If there is then get a better solvent. I use Montana Extreme and am very happy with the results. Don�t use Sweet�s or some other solvent that will etch the bore after 15 minutes.

I've been running soaked patches through bores since the early 60's, even leaving the bores to soak overnight, and there�d still be copper in the barrel. After 45 years it dawned on me that 90% of the solvent is still soaked into the patch and getting thrown away. I�d put an eye dropper full on the patch anyway so I�m not using any more solvent that I used to. The above method puts 100% of that chemical reactant into the bore to do its work. It�s the same idea as Wipe Out and if Wipe Out works for you then that�s great. I just like the Montana products, I can easily control where they go with the breech plug and eye dropper, so that�s what I use.

Use the above method after putting Dyna Bore Coat into the bore and rifle cleaning becomes a very rare thing indeed.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
One more try~

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Longbored already said it. Ignore the port. Just because it's there doesn't mean it's the best thing to use.

Get an eyedropper or two from the drugstore to allow you to control how much solvent you put on the patch. I've seen some 12 packs of plastic pipettes on the cleaning supplies shelf at the gunstore, those would work just as well. Whether you use a slotted tip or a jag, just put the patch on, put a few drops of solvent all the way around and then run it into the bore guide. Put a towel under the bore guide to catch any slop but you shouldn't have much if any. If a lot of solvent squeezes off onto the buttstock as you put the patch into the bore guide then you've used too much.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

512 members (219DW, 219 Wasp, 2500HD, 1badf350, 1936M71, 222Sako, 59 invisible), 2,440 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,441
Posts18,489,474
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.