Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
OP Offline
T
Has anyone used or know anything about the 250gr Thor Conical Bullet?

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
yep we've taken 2 deer with them, both dropped on the spot and massive internal damage.

T
OP Offline
T
What type of powder and what load were you using? This will be my first time using thor and I am trying to find out what is the best way to start.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Best bullet there is for states that require a full bore bullet like Colorado.

Maybe the best bullet period.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
How many animals have you killed with Thor's?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
My share with Barnes bullets that were much smaller. I can't see a larger version any less effective. I've seen the results the Thors have. How can 100% weight retention, and penetration not work? The best part is you don't need the heavy weight of big lead conicals. I knew the partition was a good bullet before I tried it too. I trust the Thor a lot more than the Powerbelt you use.

I've never driven a Ferrari, but I know they're fast.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You've killed your share with Barnes bullets at muzzleloader velocities?

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Unlike the CF Barnes that needs to have high velocity to expand. The Thor expands fine at ML velocities. Being a 50cal probably has something to do with it.

All i've killed with Thors so far are Coyotes. Hard to look at the expansion, because the bullet blew through the dogs, but it sure left a big hole coming out.

I'll be using it for deer and elk this year. I think it will expand fine for those. You can go to the Thor site and see the game that's been killed with the bullet with a ML.

Check this out.

http://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com/t2685-cva-wolf-250gr-thor-anchors-muley

Last edited by Mauser_Hunter; 06/09/12.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
How can 100% weight retention, and penetration not work?

I didn't say it wouldn't work. I've never shot a Thor bullet into a big game animal, so I'm reluctant to comment on how well it works.

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Keep in mind that the Thor bullet is based on the Barnes ML bullets. Not the CF bullets. It's made to expand at 1000-1900fps.

Here some game taken with the Thor.

http://thorbullets.com/Trophy_Den.html

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by smokepole
I've never shot a Thor bullet into a big game animal, so I'm reluctant to comment on how well it works.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I'm sure you've commented on bullets you haven't tried, but believed worked.

Everybody does.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
once you see after you shoot a deer or anything, they put a big smile on your face.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
I'm sure you've commented on bullets you haven't tried, but believed worked.

Everybody does.

No they don't. If someone asks me how a new bullet performs on big game and I've never shot a big game animal with it, my comment would be "it's accurate on paper."

Thors may be a great bullet for big game, but I'm not in a position to comment.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I have about 2 dozen Barnes 250 T-EZ's that shoot fantastic out of my Apex . They seem to kill deer very well( they just run 30-50 yards) although not in the same class as a White superslug .50 460 grain grin which is a caterpillar D9 disguised as a bullet . I am going to try Thors next year in this gun and if it seems like it has more knockdown I will use up my Elk points and try it In CO.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don't comment often on stuff I haven't used, but sometimes if you add one and one you'll get two. Example, I don't use an inline. I don't like hollow point bullets for hunting, nor do I care for light for caliber bullets in the main. That said, I use CB shorts to kill hogs. BC .105 or there abouts, SD is about .08, go figure.

Difference is where I place them. I do not attempt thoracic shots with the shorts. It's a CNS target or none at all. If I suddenly turned into an alcoholic and in a fuzzy daze woke up with an inline in my hands, I wouldn't try a Texas heart shot.

'Nuther example: Up until last year I'd never tested my F150 on turkeys. I guessed it would probably work and was not disappointed. Big and slow works every time. Has nothing to do with finesse, rocket science, cunning or lifestyle persuasion. Sorta like a D9 Cat, grinding, ripping, crunchin' and general mayhem. I like that a lot.

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Your method of tenderizing meat intrigues me.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Obviously staged....

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
My point is i've used to CF Barnes, and the ML Barnes. They perform very well. There's no reason to think the full bore 50cal version will be any different. Especially when there's proof of other using them with great results. You can see how they expand in the pictures. I can see how they expand on coyotes. Why would a deer/elk be any different?

I've never seen a bad report on Barnes bullets, or Thors. Something that can hardly be said about the Powerbelts you use. You've said you use PB's and they have performed good. What if the next one blows up on you like it has for others? The track record of the PB is not good. The Barnes is.

I have a friend who's sponsored by CVA, and gets PB's for nothing. He won't hunt with them.

So, who's giving bad advice? Me recommending Barnes, or you recommending PB's?

If I kill an elk with a Thor this year. Does it change my advice in any way? I don't think so. The Barnes will just do for me what it does for everybody. It works.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (1lessdog, 163bc, 1minute, 01Foreman400, 1234, 1badf350, 56 invisible), 2,444 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,568
Posts18,491,848
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.